Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alarm bells

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lord Bracknell said:
The words "Keep the Faith" spring to mind.

:)

Yes Sir Micky

:angel: :angel:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Italiaseagull said:
This is the most unimaginative and down right boring albion team I've seen for years! It's still early doors but nothing more than mid table beckons at this rate. We need that bit of creativity that Brooker gave us in recent seasons. But we all know Dick aint got a pot to piss in, so we are stuck with what we got. :nono:

spot on!!!

wheres the passion, creativity, ideas, guile, imagination, pace etc???

Stumpy Tim

Give it some time! As everyone has been saying, our key players aren't playing well at the moment. And we're still a couple of points off 2nd! Imagine when Rodger, Chippy, Cullip, Knight, & Roberts start firing.

In all honesty, I trust Coppell 100%. In another thread Gareth - you were talking about your experience in football. Have you taken a shitty team from Croydon to the FA Cup Final & to third in the top league. No? Thought not.

Some people just love to whine all the time. It's a yawnathon

A lot of the reason behind some of this disappointment is that some are projecting to the end of season as if the future is foreseeable based on the few games so far. What has to happen alright, is an attitude adjustment from the players to forget the downer that ended last season, and to also realise that this division is not a boring drudgery, slogging, and with comparitively lower class competition.
These players are not 'above it all' because they have experienced the higher division and therefore making it easy to walk round oppositions. It will be tough, perhaps as tough as the 1st division. We don't have any 'talismanic' players (they are few and far between) and the team has to work AS a team if we are going to bury anything in anyone's net. There won't be a name constantly on the scoresheet every week, and it now will have to be several players getting a crack at it.

On the plus side, there should now be a competitiveness in the side to be the top scorer, or man-of-the-match on any given week. There is no Zamora, so who is going to be the local hero now?

The challenge should be enough for any and every player to make a name for himself in an eleven-man team, and seeing as football careers are short, I'd advise every one of the lads to give it their best shot, and NOW, while they have a good chance !
:flameboun

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I said in another thread that I have not seen any evidence that a coppell side plays with the same passion and determination to 'die for the shirt' as a mickey adam's side did. This was highlighted to me by the final game at Grimsby last season.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Stumpy - I was being sarcastic and taking the piss. I am not the arrogant ********** so seem to think I am

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
FFS Gareth, you were backing us to win every game just a few weeks ago......

The reason we haven't created/scored so many goals in the last few games is due to the wings being disrupted..... Hart doesn't have Watson behind him and Jones has been missing on the left. How many of Knight's goals have been headed crosses?? Once we have a fully fit team we will start scoring again, and you can go back to betting on an Albion win every game.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Suffice to say, I had my fingers very badly burnt on the Swindon game. I had 3 figures on the Albion to win and am still licking my wounds.

I do think the football we have played this season is the worst since the first half of season 1999/2000.

I speak as I see and if we are crap I will say we are crap. Sometimes I think NSC is a competition to see who is the most blindly loyal fan and I think that does noone any good.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
I think Gareth, we need to give the side time. I do agree with your statements but as others have said, we are only 7 games in. We should be looking at this nearer xmas time. I do back Coppell, he is excellent at what he does but he has had just on a year in charge. He should be getting the team to play his way now. Is his way a target game, not sure? I think the major problem we have at the moment is the striekrs. Yes he has signed Knight who INMHO is a very good player. I dont care if a striker does nothing all game but scores. That for me is what he is there for although recently he hasnt been doing it. He is a good player, lets give him a bit of time. The problem is, as Knight is so small (he shot he score hes only 5 4 as we all know) he needs to play alongside a Henderson type of player. A Dion Dublin, A Alan Smith, you know the type I mean. What that then means is for them to work best together, we need to hit Henderson and Knight feed off him. If we didnt have Henderson then I think we would be playing a different type of game. We are right in playing to his strengths. So this asks the queston should we keep Henderson. I do think he is a good, very unselfish. However, I think if we had a different type of player in then we would be playing a different game.

Jul 22, 2003
The thing that concerns me is our style of play.

It seems to me and almost everyone I speak to, that we are more creative/dangerous when we keep the ball on the ground. But what happens? Long hoofs down the pitch in hope rather than anything else, invariably ending up giving possession back to the opposition.

Even the players in post-match interviews suggest we're better of playing this way, so why don't we?

Nothing to do with Coppell's prefered style, is it?

Keep It On The Deck, Albion.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I think the season and this division is wide open. The difference between winning and losing against any of our opponents can be as little as a single player returning from injury or being out suspended (yes even someone as truly second division as Jones).

Our results like our performances have been a mixed bag and I think that will be the case for all teams.

We miss Bobby's deft ability to control the first ball (think Hendersons first touch is pretty grim). Also think that Blackwells absence has told so far as Pethick, Hinshelwood, Cullip, etc, have all laboured under the increased responsibility at different times.

Signings would always be nice but only if better than what we have. I think many of the players we have are yet to find form, when they do, we will be at the right end of the table. We know they can play and it is Coppell/Booker/Whites job to get em doing just that.

Is it time to panic yet ? not convinced personally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here