Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

alan smith

Surely he knows he's not going to get high wages anywhere in the future? He's earnt a fortune over the last 10 years! And for being a sub for most of that time. Not bad at all. One thing we have got going is we can offer him starting 11 in every game! At 31, sitting on a small fortune surely that's good enough for a few years!

Interesting that Vicente, at a similar age, recognises that the football is more important than the wages. If Smith is still looking for big wages says a lot about the different attitudes in the players of both countries.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Maybe some players suddenly realise that they've not got a lot of time left to play the game, and maybe they think "hang on, why not move on and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond". At least for the last couple of years before they have to pack it in.

Used to happen a lot and top players would often move down the leagues, but less so nowadays. An awful lot of players are quite happy to be on the fringes never playing and still collect big salaries, Wayne Bridge springs to mind.

Bit sad, but then money talks, I suppose.

Maybe some players suddenly realise that they've not got a lot of time left to play the game, and maybe they think "hang on, why not move on and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond". At least for the last couple of years before they have to pack it in.

Used to happen a lot and top players would often move down the leagues, but less so nowadays. An awful lot of players are quite happy to be on the fringes never playing and still collect big salaries, Wayne Bridge springs to mind.

Bit sad, but then money talks, I suppose.

I agree and is clearly fuelled by the growing wage gap between the Premiership and the Championship.

nickbenjoe

May 3, 2009
I heard that thug Barton was shown round the Amex before signing for QPR well impressed but it all went tits up when he demanded £40000 a week

We do not need players like him for the Albion rather go the Norwich route !!!!!!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think a few of these fringe Prem players, on massive wages, may well have a tinge of regret when, in years to come, they look back at their footballing careers and how few games they actually played.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting that Vicente, at a similar age, recognises that the football is more important than the wages. If Smith is still looking for big wages says a lot about the different attitudes in the players of both countries.

It might say something about the different priorities of the two players, I don't think you can judge two whole countries on it though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here