Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Shearer in "speaking some sense" shock?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The Beeb link below has the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16990214

Alan Shearer basically contends that there are many problems in the England camp and that we might be better off using Euro 2012 as a proving ground in readiness for Word Cup 2014.

I'm inclined to agree. Nobody feels that we have a realistic chance of winning the Euros and the spine of the England squad is beginning to look increasingly aged and made up of players that have failed at major tournaments in the past. Personally, I'd be quite happy to see England jettison a large chunk of the squad and bring in new blood.

What do you all reckon?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A large part of the squad does need replacing, thats for sure.

But it's a major tournament and we should attempt to get as far through it as we can, even if we have minimal chance of winning it.

I would like to see some fresh faces in the Euro 2012 squad though.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I like jettison!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
A younger squad may be inexperienced but I expect it would play with ten times the hunger of the current crop.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Germany decided to use the 2010 World Cup to blood youngsters. Of course England won't do the same at the Euros - far too sensible.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
I agree Alan Shearer does talk the most shit of any pundit. Any contact in the box is a penalty with him. absolutely clueless.

though on this occasion blooding a few youngsters by taking them and actually playing them seems sensible. we won't come close to winning this whatever team we put out.

mh369

Mar 4, 2009
London
It's not often that Shearer speaks any sense, but he is right in this case. Saying that we should have built a team for 2014 after South Africa!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not often that Shearer speaks any sense, but he is right in this case. Saying that we should have built a team for 2014 after South Africa!

Yes. I'm baffled as to why John Terry is still around- he looked to be short of pace at the WC, I don't see how he's going to have improved two years down the line. And he's not the only one who looked slow and lumbering.

A good parallel is the Welsh rugby team at the last WC. Gatland kicked out loads of the old guard, got in a load of kids and prepared for the 2015 WC. AS it happens, they gave it a good go and nearly reached the final - but they're going to be awesome four years later when they're a bit more street-wise.

Let's write off this tournament: Spain and Germany (to name two) are both well ahead of us at the moment so our best bet is semi-final but we can build a team for the next WC and the next EC

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I know it can be a contentious point but I support Brighton, not England, that is just something to do in the summer every other year.

Isn't this rather like saying that we should use the unwinnable FA Cup game to bring on some of the youngsters - who will be the backbone of the team that we hope will win the Sussex Senior Cup at the end of the season?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Isn't this rather like saying that we should use the unwinnable FA Cup game to bring on some of the youngsters - who will be the backbone of the team that we hope will win the Sussex Senior Cup at the end of the season?

Almost but not quite. Our first team is half decent and, on a good day, could give most clubs a run for their money. Technically the same could be said of the England squad but honestly? It isn't going to happen. They've had more than enough chances so why not let the young bloods have a go?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't know why the squad is limited to the Premiership either, there is loads of young talent in the Championship that are equal or better than the current squad.

I really don't agree with this. Surely if they were amongst the best 23 english players, then they would have been snapped up by a premiership team already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here