Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Lee

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Yes he did coz I dont recall him even trying...

I guess that must mean he didn't then if McGhee didn't ring you up personally to tell you :wave:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Hard facts :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: What a self-delusional little world the pair of you live in :jester:

Do in your little world, did we approach him and then he turned us down? You just seem to think he turned us down. As far as I can see we were linked with him in the summer, he made it clear he would rather not relocate, but we did not follow it up. It might be because we did not want him, it might be that we could not afford him or it might be that we did not react to the situation. We do not know, although I am sure you can pass an opinion off as fact, you have been doing it for long enough.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Anyway how do we know its £6k a week. And furthermore there is no way Rotherham would have been paying that....

cardiff paid £1.5m for him, and if they were willing to spend that much im guessing he must be on a prettygood wage

Uncle Buck said:
Do in your little world, did we approach him and then he turned us down? You just seem to think he turned us down. As far as I can see we were linked with him in the summer, he made it clear he would rather not relocate, but we did not follow it up. It might be because we did not want him, it might be that we could not afford him or it might be that we did not react to the situation. We do not know, although I am sure you can pass an opinion off as fact, you have been doing it for long enough.

Look, none of us on here know the complete facts, McGhee does not conduct his tranfer negotiations in publid, no manager does! :lolol: What we know was that Naylor reported that we were on his trail, the way it works in the journo game was that Naylor would have got an off-the-record wink before publishing that.

As for your statement that we did not follow it up, please point out the "hard facts" that this opinion of yours is based on, we're all dying to know :)

Last edited:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
How does anyone on here KNOW that McGhee didn't bother trying to sign Neil Shipperley? I would guess that Shipp's agent tried to hawk him around every Championship club going in an attempt to secure employment for his client. I'd then guess that if we couldn't afford to sign Alan Lee because of his high wages then Shipperley (who'd been playing for a Premiership club) was unlikely to be any cheaper.

The whole world of football transfers is a highly complex one is wrapped in secrecy. Take Ian Evatt as an example. McGhee has stated to the Argus that we attempted to sign him during the summer from Chesterfield. Evatt instead signed for QPR, not surprising when you read in the Standard that Evatt's agent is a close friend of Paladini, the QPR chairman, and that he received a six figure sum from QPR for sealing the deal. Somehow I doubt we could have ever signed the player no matter how hard we tried. Who know's what kind of deal would've had to have been sorted out with Shipperley's agent?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Does anyone really think that if Alan Lee wants £6k a week Shipperly is going to be asking less? ???

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:

None of us know, but you talk about hard facts?

Bucky, hard facts :lolol: "we did not follow up" - hard facts Bucky please, I'm looking but I can't see any :lolol:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Bucky, hard facts :lolol: "we did not follow up" - hard facts Bucky please, I'm looking but I can't see any :lolol:

Steve, Steve, Steve, I said I did not know why we did not follow up, I put some ideas as to why we did not, but like you (although at times you pass your opinion and speculation off as fact) I do not know why we did not go after him. I believe he would have been a decent signing, but alas we went for ones for the future, which is costing us at present.

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
dunno said:
We sing that for Chris McPhee anyway - and its better 'cos it sounds like 'Christmas tree' (the song its based on!!) -

you probably haven't heard it much 'cos he doesn't score that often:lolol:

Yes we probably could have got Alan Lee with the El Turi and CKR money but £6000 a week??? That would have buggered our wage structure even if we could have afforded it!

How many of the current players would have been banging on the door asking for that??

No you are the one who is wrong, cardiff fans and myself last night sung alan lee to the tune of agadoo. I know the chris mcphee song and its completely different.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Kaney said:
No you are the one who is wrong, cardiff fans and myself last night sung alan lee to the tune of agadoo.

i was singing it as well neil!

alan lee lee lee
won't you score a goal for me

with your left
with your right
with your head
or with your knee

alan lee lee lee
wont you score a goal for me

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Ricketts was on £10K a week at Leeds, but Cardiff are paying him less than £2K a week and Leeds are making up the rest. He will go back to Leeds in January methinks. I mean this is hearsay, but does it sound about right? I do not think that Alan Lee is getting paid £6K a week for one minute. Thats what he would like to get paid, but it is more than he is worth. £3K would seem top whack, and I am not sure that the player is really that good, or whether he can hit shots from 35 yards or so?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
alan lee is not good enough for us. he is alright but hasn't exactly been consistent for cardiff this year. what i heard is that his wages and the fee itself was way over what we could afford. i dont know whether you guys are in the know, but you seem to know a lot about what wages all these players are on. the fact is, you don't know what happened, in fact, you don't have a f***ing clue!!! so rather than speculating as to why we didn't get alan lee, lets think about what a good game i heard chris mcphee had last night:clap: :clap:

E

enigma

perseus said:
I do not think that Alan Lee is getting paid £6K a week for one minute. Thats what he would like to get paid, but it is more than he is worth. £3K would seem top whack,.

1) I trust Naylor more than you.

2) If he was on 3k a week we might have been interested

3) I know a player in League 1 on 4k a week, so you have no idea about wages whatsoever.

4) What bit do you not understand? He might not be worth that now, but at the time he was bought for a reasonable amount of money by an ambitious club, so 6k is not unbelievable, especially given they guy has played for Ireland, and he was probably fairly sought after.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
enigma said:
3) I know a player in League 1 on 4k a week, so you have no idea about wages whatsoever.
Marcus Stewart is on £6k a week at Brizzle.

Uncle Buck said:
I do not know why we did not go after him.

Bucky, that's not an opinion, you are stating there, you are stating a fact "we did not go after him".

You are putting forward no evidence for that fact, Bucky :)

E

enigma

Silent Bob said:
Marcus Stewart is on £6k a week at Brizzle.

Yeah exactly. The guy I know also plays for a big team in that division.

Perseus is talking out of his arse as usual, he knows absolutely nothing about wages. He then fails to respond when people prove him wrong.

I think he is the only person on this site that winds up. Bloody judas. :angry:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Percy, Cardiff massively overspent on their wage bill. It was reported as 750k a month by the BBC. When QPR tried to sign Richard Langley back from Cardiff, Ian Holloway went on record saying that they could only pay Langley half of what he was on at Cardiff. When Cardiff signed Tony Warner, Stoke manager Tony Pulis said that Cardiff's wage offer "blew them out of the water."

Lee, along with 4 other players, had to accept reduced wages when they signed new deals in the summer so Cardiff could afford to sign Darren Purse. Sam Hamman claimed that with the money they saved from those 5 players would have been enough to have paid off the entire transfer fee.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I think Alan Lee was on something like £6,000 a week last season, but he took a big pay cut in the summer and is now on around £4,000 a week. I'm not 100% sure about those figures, but they're close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here