Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Lee

E

enigma

For all those who kept banging on why we should have signed him.

Firstly, he only has 2 goals this season, although admittedly he doesnt start usually.

Secondly, the transfer fee would have been 300k.

Thirdly, the wages would have been 6k a week.

So will the likes of Perseus stop banging on about how we should have signed him or Ricketts.

WE CANT AFFORD THEM

:dunce:

E

enigma

Ernest said:
and the wages plus fees for Turienzo and Pepsi Max add up to ???

Not sure, but probably less I would guess, Cardiff spent a lot. Plus, although Turi hasnt done anything yet, we got 2 players and CKR has scored 1 more goal than him anyway.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
Probably 300k for the fees but cant afford that sort of wages. End of.

End of? Why?

Because you say so?

Personally I do not think that Lee would have been a great signing. However I do feel that a player such as Shipperley who was available on a free, might have been better use of the money that we spent, as those fee's would have covered his wages or the wages of somebody similar for a couple of seasons.

It is very noble that we are bringing in players for the future, but the here and now situation is some what alarming.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
End of? Why?

Because you say so?

Personally I do not think that Lee would have been a great signing. However I do feel that a player such as Shipperley who was available on a free, might have been better use of the money that we spent, as those fee's would have covered his wages or the wages of somebody similar for a couple of seasons.

It is very noble that we are bringing in players for the future, but the here and now situation is some what alarming.

Short term v Long term approach. I'd rather build long term and have a decent young team in the future than spend it on old freebies. Also, if someone like Shipperley came in and he was on much more than others wouldnt be good for morale, even if team mates know he is a good player. But those players wouldnt come here yet anyway. Only when we get falmer.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Uncle Buck said:

yep ...soon be time to panic ...Derby on saturday is a must win game

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
Short term v Long term approach. I'd rather build long term and have a decent young team in the future than spend it on old freebies. Also, if someone like Shipperley came in and he was on much more than others wouldnt be good for morale, even if team mates know he is a good player. But those players wouldnt come here yet anyway. Only when we get falmer.

But the long term approach that we are undertaking could lead to relegation. There needs to be balance and we are not seeing that. What we see is glimpses of potential from certain players, but they are unable to do it on a regular basis.

I do not really buy the fact that an experience goal scoring might be on more money than other players, that is a fact of life. Zamora was paid more than most, but then he had the job of scoring the goals.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
End of? Why?

Because you say so?

But were not talking about Shipperly are we? I think Shipperly would have been a good signing but thats not the point.

We just cant afford 6k a week. Thats why its end of. I doubt many of our players are any where near that figure. And i would not really want to break the bank for Lee.

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
I think we should sign Alan Lee just so we can sing the song when he scores.

Alan Lee Lee Lee, Won't You Score a Goal for Me :clap2:

Couldn't help but join in last night :clap2:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
But were not talking about Shipperly are we? I think Shipperly would have been a good signing but thats not the point.

We just cant afford 6k a week. Thats why its end of. I doubt many of our players are any where near that figure. And i would not really want to break the bank for Lee.

It actually is the point. If it was not Lee, it would have been somebody else.

The route that the club are going down of acquiring players for the future is not getting the results in the present and that is the issue, so maybe the money used on youngsters should have been used to bring somebody with more of a track record down here.

You lot might be able to accept going down, but I do not want to go back into that third tier of football, it is as depressing as f***, but at present that is where we are heading and heading with what is probably for the first time McGhee's side and not a collection of what other managers have brought here.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
But the long term approach that we are undertaking could lead to relegation. There needs to be balance and we are not seeing that. What we see is glimpses of potential from certain players, but they are unable to do it on a regular basis.

I do not really buy the fact that an experience goal scoring might be on more money than other players, that is a fact of life. Zamora was paid more than most, but then he had the job of scoring the goals.

First things first- lets wait until the end of the season, there are a lot of games left, so we'll see whether we get relegated or not.

I would rather take this strategy than another. Pompey are an example of a club that did the high wages and old free players strategy, and while it served them well for a while, there's no long term team building. Look at Arsenal, albeit on a bigger scale- they could have signed someone Dacour this year on a free, but the wages would have been high and Flamini was already there, plus they got Song in on loan. Im not saying they have replace Vieira adequately, but I think they have done better to take a long term chance on youngsters on low wages rather than older players who have higher wage demands, and no re-sale value.

Shipperley would be looking at a very high wage, Im not sure having big disparities between players is useful. I doubt Zamora was paid as much as Shipperley is on now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Buck said:

The route that the club are going down of acquiring players for the future is not getting the results in the present and that is the issue, so maybe the money used on youngsters should have been used to bring somebody with more of a track record down here.

You lot might be able to accept going down, but I do not want to go back into that third tier of football, it is as depressing as f***, but at present that is where we are heading and heading with what is probably for the first time McGhee's side and not a collection of what other managers have brought here.

But as long as brighton play with 100% its ok to go down.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Auditor said:
yep ...soon be time to panic ...Derby on saturday is a must win game
Cant tell if you mean that or not but 17 points with almost half the games to go is time to panic, the games start running out quickly the other side of christmas.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Kaney said:
I think we should sign Alan Lee just so we can sing the song when he scores.

Alan Lee Lee Lee, Won't You Score a Goal for Me :clap2:

Couldn't help but join in last night :clap2:

We sing that for Chris McPhee anyway - and its better 'cos it sounds like 'Christmas tree' (the song its based on!!) -

you probably haven't heard it much 'cos he doesn't score that often:lolol:

Yes we probably could have got Alan Lee with the El Turi and CKR money but £6000 a week??? That would have buggered our wage structure even if we could have afforded it!

How many of the current players would have been banging on the door asking for that??

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Uncle Buck said:

:clap: I dont wanna go to Barnsley instead of Leeds

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Uncle Buck said:

I dont accept the fact were going down. And i dont think we will. Your right this is McGhees side and its playing the best attacking football down here that i have seen in a long time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
I dont accept the fact were going down. And i dont think we will. Your right this is McGhees side and its playing the best attacking football down here that i have seen in a long time.

But there is the problem. It is seemingly playing great attacking football, although it has only scored 20 goals in 20 games. That does not look like effective attacking football, does it. So maybe the money spent on 2 untried forwards, should have been used to get one reasonably proven striker down here.

McGhee has his own side now, but sadly it is not getting results.

Last edited:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Uncle Buck said:
However I do feel that a player such as Shipperley who was available on a free, might have been better use of the money that we spent, as those fee's would have covered his wages or the wages of somebody similar for a couple of seasons.

At £6000 a week, the coke money would only last 41 weeks, not the 'couple of seasons' you suggest
above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here