Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Duffy.Where is that man?

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Alan Duffy got me hooked on the Albion in the early 70's.I'd love to know if he's still around and what he's up to.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I loved his first home game. My memory is it was against Bradford and Duffy beat a couple of players and whacked it in from about 30 yards. It was unbelievable. And the peak of his achievement with us.

(to Hare Krishna)
Alan Duffy - Alan DUffy - Alan Duffy - Alan Duffy,
Alan Aggro - Alan Aggro - Alan Aggro - Alan Aggro,
Alan Duffy - Alan Duffy - Alan Duffy - Alan Duffy,
Alan Aggro ............

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I loved his first home game. My memory is it was against Bradford and Duffy beat a couple of players and whacked it in from about 30 yards. It was unbelievable. And the peak of his achievement with us.

(to Hare Krishna)
Alan Duffy - Alan DUffy - Alan Duffy - Alan Duffy,
Alan Aggro - Alan Aggro - Alan Aggro - Alan Aggro,
Alan Duffy - Alan Duffy - Alan Duffy - Alan Duffy,
Alan Aggro ............
Oh yes, remember him well! Came from Newcastle, was a bit of a cult hero with the North Stand and one of the first players I identified with. Thought he was going to be the George Best of Division Three for a while, but as you say his early promise wasn't really fulfilled.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
His debut was probably second only to Wardy for impact. A wriggle past a couple of Bradford players, followed by a ferocious shot that crashed against the underside of the bar.
From memory, I think it bounced up, hit the underside again and went in. I also remember the crossbar continuing to shake afterwards....and all after about 10 minutes.
He had all the makings of a cult figure at Brighton. The swagger, the shock of hair, the slight beer belly. I loved him but he never quite lived up to that sensational start.
There were plenty of rumours about his ' lifestyle ' including one about him being found by a group of fans, out on a friday night, legless and incapable, lying on a building site in the middle of town.
Whenever his name is mentioned, I always think of that goal, that special moment, when for a few seconds, the crowd gasped before roaring their approval.
It will always be one of my top 10 Albion moments because it took your breath away. He could never match that again but then again, he didn't need to. He could just dine out on it for the rest of his Albion career.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
His debut was probably second only to Wardy for impact. A wriggle past a couple of Bradford players, followed by a ferocious shot that crashed against the underside of the bar.
From memory, I think it bounced up, hit the underside again and went in. I also remember the crossbar continuing to shake afterwards....and all after about 10 minutes.

Good man. That is my memory, as Brovion says - we did think he was going to be our George Best.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
He had all the makings of a cult figure at Brighton. The swagger, the shock of hair, the slight beer belly. I loved him but he never quite lived up to that sensational start.
There were plenty of rumours about his ' lifestyle ' including one about him being found by a group of fans, out on a friday night, legless and incapable, lying on a building site in the middle of town.
Whenever his name is mentioned, I always think of that goal, that special moment, when for a few seconds, the crowd gasped before roaring their approval.
It will always be one of my top 10 Albion moments because it took your breath away. He could never match that again but then again, he didn't need to. He could just dine out on it for the rest of his Albion career.

oh the memories, i was standing behind the goal, to the right, one of those everlasting memories. Any pics of the man out there

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I remember his debut but I also remember the fiasco of the missed penalty. We had been awarded a penalty and I think Alan Gilliver lined up to take it however Duffy decided to take it without telling anybody, he just ran up to the ball and hoofed it against that bar, we ended up drawing that game 1-1. Duffy had a reputation for giving it large in the nightspots of Brighton and I remember somebpdy telling me that he had go a fairly serious slap at the Top Rank Suite for being gobby. Didn't he head off to Bury ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
went to Tranmere from us

didn't realise he only scored 8 goals for us in 2 seasons....memory makes it seem like more

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I remember his debut but I also remember the fiasco of the missed penalty. We had been awarded a penalty and I think Alan Gilliver lined up to take it however Duffy decided to take it without telling anybody, he just ran up to the ball and hoofed it against that bar, we ended up drawing that game 1-1.

My ex father in law continually used to regale me with that tale! I wish I was there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here