Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Ball stories

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like everybody else I'm shocked and saddened by the sudden and untimely death of the England LEGEND Alan Ball (youngest of the 1966 team I believe). However so we can sort of 'smile through our tears' when I heard the news I did remember two stories he told about himself. Rather than pollute the 'RIP' thread I thought I'd tell them here:

First one concerns the 1966 final and 'that' goal. Ball always maintains he should have got a lot of the credit for it. He knew the ref would probably consult the linesman so whilst the other players we congratulating Hurst he ran over to the linesman shouting "Goal! Goal! Goal!" When the ref came over the linesman apparently just nodded his head and said "Goal!"

The second one was taking the piss out of his managerial skills. He'd just been sacked from Man City (I think) and at the same time Graeme Sharp was the manager of Oldham who were struggling. The fans were chanting "Sharp out! Sharp out!" when somebody shouted:
"Shut up you lot or we'll get Alan Ball!"
(pause)
"One Graeme Sharp! There's only one Graeme Sharp!"

... and another one which I've just remembered: Ball saw an old woman struggling with her shopping. He went over and said
"Can you manage love?"
The answer came back: "Better than you!"

Sorry you never lived to see England regain the Cup Alan. Mind you I probably won't either.
:(

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
His dad said to him once ''If you wear those bloody white boots you had better know how to play.''

He did.

Alan Ball - Ball of Fire. (his early biography )

Last edited:

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
great player, great bloke ... unfortunately a crap manager ... however when you were as good a player as he was and a world cup winner to boot, you can be forgiven the manager bit. Strangley, my boy hood hero Bobby Charlton was also crap manager as was Nobby stilles, thinking about it Alan Ball and Jack Charlton were the only '66 players to make it as managers ..

My dad said the he was the first truly professional player, amazingly fit, looked after himself and unlike the players of today a perfect gentlemen ..... a sad day :down:

harold robbins

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, a great player but sadly a poor manager. I always remember the Man City fans song (sung to the tune of "Wonderwall") which went something like this:

We have`nt won a thing for over twenty years ..and we won`t do now

Maybe ...... we could have had Liam Brady

But after all

we`ve got Alan Ball

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
harold robbins said:
Yes, a great player but sadly a poor manager. I always remember the Man City fans song (sung to the tune of "Wonderwall") which went something like this:

We have`nt won a thing for over twenty years ..and we won`t do now

Maybe ...... we could have had Liam Brady

But after all

we`ve got Alan Ball

that is funny. Classic.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
When I was a kid Alan Ball was my hero. I was too young to remember 1966 but I do remember Mexico 1970. I became an Everton fan because of him and then as a fickle 10 year old I transferred my allegience to Arsenal when he went to play for the Gooners (I found the Albion in 1972). I think he was the first player to wear white boots and I bought myself a pair as soon as they hit the shops.

About 10 years ago I was at Goodwood races and there was Alan Ball in the crowd. I went up and shook his hand and he was really friendly. I had the feeling that he enjoyed all the attention.

A very sad day. RIP.

Jul 20, 2003
Over the years I've heard from a couple of people that met him that he was a nasty piece of work with a big ego and a serious case of short man's syndromw who liked to surround himself with yes men cronies and all in all was something of a git

anyway, he's dead now so it doesn't matter

Helping England win the World Cup was handy mind

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Pevenseagull said:
Over the years I've heard from a couple of people that met him that he was a nasty piece of work with a big ego and a serious case of short man's syndromw who liked to surround himself with yes men cronies and all in all was something of a git

anyway, he's dead now so it doesn't matter

Helping England win the World Cup was handy mind

:rolleyes:

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I read in an interview Alan Ball's response to an accusation that he was always banging on about being a world cup winner and living off former glorys. His answer was that winning the 1966 world cup was probably the greatest ever English sporting achievement and that he was immensely proud to be one of the eleven men that were in that team. It was the greatest thing that ever happened to him during his football career and he didn't care if he spoke about it all day every day.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, if I was a world cup winner I'd have a bit of an ego as well. Let's face it, it looks like it's going to be an awfully long time before we have another England team winning a world cup. Certainly not Maclaren's Marvels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here