Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ah Words of Wisdom, Almost Colemanballesq

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Superb (and yes I am bored);

1. With great respect to a recent Premiership team like Leicester, we should be beating teams like them

It is frustrating that we're not getting the 3-pointers, but it's too easy to say that every team we get a draw against are relegation candidates, which seems the stock response of glass half-full merchants like you Dwayniepops.

Didn't we say the same thing about Crewe, Burnley, Coventry, etc etc

My more optimistic take is that a year on we are now far more comfortable in ths league and fewer and fewer teams can impose themselves on us.

This higher level of performance will bring its due reward sooner or later. If you cast your mind back to March-April and recall how we were getting outclassed by nearly every team we were playing, I think the progress since then has been excellent.

2. No, for the entirely logical reason that most teams are finding their feet and best formations/selections. Teams like us particularly so who have some new players to integrate.

3. That's not a new argument TLB - that's repeating an original unargued assertion and then putting "bollocks" on the end of it As such, I stand by my original comment that bad results at this stage are far less important than at the end of the season because you have plenty of time to do something about them. Commonsense, surely?

But to carry on your parallel, if we got it down to 12 an over off the last two or three from a big deficit, you're going to be disappointed if you don't finish the job. No disrespect to Coppell and what he achieved, which deserves plaudits, but sport is above all else about finishing the job, crossing the winning line, doing it at the business end of the season, that's what makes real reputations.

4. Does anyone still think Crewe was a must-win game? Or that not winning one of our first six fixtures was such a terrible thing?

Things certainly seemed to have cheered up around here since then, anyway

I think it was the case that McGhee still had to try out new formations. And, who knows, that experimentation may not still be finished.

Certainly August and September is a good time for managers to do that kind of stuff.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You will have to remind me UB. Who was it with such great words?

Moses? The Prophet Mohammed? Jesus? Socrates? Buddha?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No this is true, early season results do not matter.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would say early season results do matter. Its probably going to keep teams like Hull & Plymouth safe because they got about 12 points by the end of September and Stoke 16 points compared to our 10.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I would say early season results do matter. Its probably going to keep teams like Hull & Plymouth safe because they got about 12 points by the end of September and Stoke 16 points compared to our 10.

Well Luton's start this season has certainly helped them.

Look at Plymouth last season, if they had not got those early season results they would have gone down.

You have to go into every game looking to get something from it, sadly McGhee at times has stated that he is not overly worried (Luton and Southampton in the Argus, before people jump on this comment).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes but what you are forgetting UB (tut tut) is that early season results dont matter because you have been TOLD they don't matter!!!

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Uncle Buck said:
Well Luton's start this season has certainly helped them.

Look at Plymouth last season, if they had not got those early season results they would have gone down.

You have to go into every game looking to get something from it, sadly McGhee at times has stated that he is not overly worried (Luton and Southampton in the Argus, before people jump on this comment).

Personally I thought the same about Luton and especially Soton, as long as, we beat Millwall. That's the big problem since Xmas losing or drawing home games against lower league opposition (Burnley, Leicester and Millwall - 8 points lost). Even though we have lost our last 6 away (W0 D0 L6 F3 A 18 PTS 0), I still see our home form as what will ultimately send us down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here