Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After the Olympics

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Are all the venues staying or are some being pulled down?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
The equestrian arena is obviously going. Why they didn't hold that at a nearby place like Windsor or Badminton. Or even better, they have used Hickstead. One of the best show jumping arenas in the world. And they could have spent a fraction of the money improving facilities there that are there now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The equestrian arena is obviously going. Why they didn't hold that at a nearby place like Windsor or Badminton. Or even better, they have used Hickstead. One of the best show jumping arenas in the world. And they could have spent a fraction of the money improving facilities there that are there now.
I think there are sporting political reasons why the equestrian was pulled into London. Over successive years, the horsey sports have been further and further marginalised. In 2008, it was in HK which is 4 hours from Beijing. I think this was a concerted effort to make the horse sportsmen and women an integral part of the games.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think there are sporting political reasons why the equestrian was pulled into London. Over successive years, the horsey sports have been further and further marginalised. In 2008, it was in HK which is 4 hours from Beijing. I think this was a concerted effort to make the horse sportsmen and women an integral part of the games.

This. It's pretty much word-for-word what ms Balding said this morning.

* sent from my hospital bed, please feel sorry for me

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Basketball arena is temporary. I think the other one is the water polo, but not sure there.
Rio have asked about moving the arena there for 2016.
Which would be bloody amazing.

The velodrome will be open to the public late '13.

I'm pretty sure the Hockey is temporary.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Rio have asked about moving the arena there for 2016.
Which would be bloody amazing.

The velodrome will be open to the public late '13.

I'm pretty sure the Hockey is temporary.
The Rio deal collapsed, sadly. I think you're right about the hockey, which makes it all the more odd that everyone's favourite tin pot shyster Barry Hearne has asked if Orient can move there (just one of his many embarrassing positions on the Olympics and the stadium).

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The hockey arena would make quite a decent lower league ground if it had a roof. For a temporary stadium it was very well put together. The basketball arena was also a very well constructed.

I heard some of the temporary stands from the games are being bought by Silverstone.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
The hockey arena would make quite a decent lower league ground if it had a roof. For a temporary stadium it was very well put together. The basketball arena was also a very well constructed.

I heard some of the temporary stands from the games are being bought by Silverstone.

I think the riverbank is being dismantled and then rebuilt for the (hockey) euros in 2015. But you're right, it would be a great football stadium, it is a very decent venue.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
This. It's pretty much word-for-word what ms Balding said this morning.

* sent from my hospital bed, please feel sorry for me

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Re the Olympic Park in Stratford: venue-wise, only the Stadium with reduced capacity, Velodrome (with BMX bit behind being easied and expanded) and Aquatics Centre survive - plus the Orbit (Olympic tower) - I think. Why so quick to ask? Paralympics is sold out in all the same venues and starts Wednesday week.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The Rio deal collapsed, sadly. I think you're right about the hockey, which makes it all the more odd that everyone's favourite tin pot shyster Barry Hearne has asked if Orient can move there (just one of his many embarrassing positions on the Olympics and the stadium).

Riverbank Arena (the 16, 000 hockey venue) will go once all the Paralympics football being played there finishes. New 3k (expanable for big events) National Hockey Centre will be set up on the edge of the Olympic Park apparently. FWIW the original National Hockey Centre is what Franchise/MK Dongs took over, grrr.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Eh? It's just scaffolding with seats on it.

Basically it is. However it was bespoke made for the games so it has less of a temporary scaffold feel about it. It did not use traditional scaffold like we had at the Withdean. It was all specially designed metalwork purely to be used as a stadium.

It is a flat pack stadium that could and should be used at future events around the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here