Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] After Eight Mints

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I like to split the licorice and fondant and make a licorise stack of about 20 slices and eat it all in 1 go and then deal with the fondant

Serious note. Liquorice raises blood pressure, so be careful if you’re on statins.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Daim Bars. I was given a Daim selection box for Xmas and i may have shed a tear.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Currently working my way through a tin of Quality Street, saving the cremes til last as they're the best, but I've got a bag of mini white chocolate Toblerone next in the queue and then a box of After Eights I'm saving until last, to be eaten in one sitting, naturally.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Can only agree with the OP. Once you start it has to be finished even though you feel sick and guilty and swear not to do it again. And then you do.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bassets Liquorice Allsorts...

Rather partial to these myself, but I rarely, if ever, et them now. When I was in Liverpool there was a corner shop which sold mis-shapen rejects straight from the factory for about 5 pence a hundred-weight. Yum!
My late mother-in-law discovered my partiality for this particular confectionary, and a box of licquorice allsorts was included among my Christmas gifts. As per my normal treatment of them, I scoffed the lot at one sitting - and someone must have reported back to Grannie what Daddy had done..............
Next year she sent me a bigger box. Scoffed the lot ..... the next year, a still bigger box. This went on for several years until one year I received a huge tin of them - and I mean a huge tin. Attached to it was a card with just three words. "I dare you" ...............................

I did!

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
After Eight Mints

These things should come with some sort of health warning on the box. They are ADDICTIVE. I could eat a whole box of 30 in 1 go which I have and feel a bit sick now.

Just TOO good

What sweet are you addicted to ?

Don't eat chocolate myself but my missus puts her After Eights in the freezer and eats them frozen?!

Apparently they are lovely!?

Too sickly sweet, US.

Almost put my head down a toilet bowl when I last ate a whole box. I've never touched one since which was about ten years ago.

White Toblerone is my favourite chocolate but I can't find the big bars - only medium size. A large packet of M&M's peanut goes down well too - not the bog I must add!

Have you tried the Poundland equivalent of Toblerone - excellent stuff.

Dark chocolate orange does it for me, and wine gums are the munchies of choice when at the Amex.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Refresher bars. A filling puller of scary proportions. Wondering if it will happen puts a bit of a damper on eating my favourite sweet these days though. Trying to suck rather than chew lasts less than a minute.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
For After Eight fans, ShakeAway, the fantastic milkshake shop in the centre of Brighton (other branches are available) have a combo which includes AEs and they work so well. For the uninitiated, ShakeAway offer wholesome healthy treats - some 180 or so different ingredients (mainly sweets, but also certain fruit, biscuits, cakes, etc) which are whizzed in a blender with milk and ice cream to create your shake. If you're a fan of the sweet stuff, it is worth trying out. There's so many possible combos, your choice or one of their tried and tested blends.

Anyway, the king of sweets is this:
61stkGBnECL._SX425_.jpg

It's a US variant, but some places do import them (Amazon, and those heavily overpriced American Sweet Shop high street places, for examples). A million miles away from the rather so-so Crunchy Caramel available here, which seems more like Dime/Daim balls to me. Soft, effortlessly chewy caramel in the crisp M&M shell. When I go to the States I usually bring back enough that the missus raises her eyebrows. Last time, she said with some sarcasm whilst I was putting them in the Walmart trolley "Have you got enough there?!" and I gave a considered "Yes, I think so...got to think about the weight in the suitcase." :lolol:

(The US M&M Mint ones are also lush, but Caramel beats them - just)

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Have you tried the Poundland equivalent of Toblerone - excellent stuff.

Dark chocolate orange does it for me, and wine gums are the munchies of choice when at the Amex.

Nope. You can't beat the real thing. I don't mind paying a bit more. It's chocolate I could eat every day for the rest of my life.

Always liked Extra Strong mints when I'm at the Amex. Their hardness deserves respect on the old gnashers though!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For After Eight fans, ShakeAway, the fantastic milkshake shop in the centre of Brighton (other branches are available) have a combo which includes AEs and they work so well. For the uninitiated, ShakeAway offer wholesome healthy treats - some 180 or so different ingredients (mainly sweets, but also certain fruit, biscuits, cakes, etc) which are whizzed in a blender with milk and ice cream to create your shake. If you're a fan of the sweet stuff, it is worth trying out. There's so many possible combos, your choice or one of their tried and tested blends.

Anyway, the king of sweets is this:
View attachment 118850

It's a US variant, but some places do import them (Amazon, and those heavily overpriced American Sweet Shop high street places, for examples). A million miles away from the rather so-so Crunchy Caramel available here, which seems more like Dime/Daim balls to me. Soft, effortlessly chewy caramel in the crisp M&M shell. When I go to the States I usually bring back enough that the missus raises her eyebrows. Last time, she said with some sarcasm whilst I was putting them in the Walmart trolley "Have you got enough there?!" and I gave a considered "Yes, I think so...got to think about the weight in the suitcase." :lolol:

(The US M&M Mint ones are also lush, but Caramel beats them - just)

I like the coffee nut M&Ms too - can't seem to get them in the UK either. Luckily we have a regular band of people tripping across the pond in either direction so can usually maintain a supply :smile:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I like the coffee nut M&Ms too - can't seem to get them in the UK either. Luckily we have a regular band of people tripping across the pond in either direction so can usually maintain a supply :smile:

Can’t stand m&ms, never quite forgiven Mars for discontinuing ‘Treats’ which they replaced (nor Spangles for that matter!)

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Never tried them! Will have to next time I'm over there. They do seem to like very limited runs of unusual flavours at key times of the year (Easter, Halloween, for example) but sometimes not a good idea to try these and love 'em, as you'll then always regret their passing. Probably my favourite sweet as a youngster was Amazin' Raisin. Still long for one of those, along with McDonald's Arctic Orange milkshake.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Honestly, they are ***ing incredible

Snaffling Pig Premium Double-Cooked Pork Crackling 275g Gifting Jar (Mighty Colman's Mustard) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CBC7MVT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-G8dEbGRRYFJ7

Please eat as many as you can - I’m a share holder! But yes, they are good. Very good. BBQ ones are great too.

Ordered some earlier today - frankly the Amazon warehouse is already running low. Nearly got the Naga chilli ones too, but think the missus will be unimpressed enough already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here