Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Advice on hidden charges airbnb in USA

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The missus is staying in a New York hotel 'rental unit' booked via airbnb.

She has paid AirBNB £1142. Now, out of the blue, she has just received an email from the host asking for

'tax rate' $3.50 a night
'resort fee' $43 per night
(over 6 nights equals $279)

'Incidental deposit' of $150 per night, to be reimbursed
(0ver 6 nights $900)

So $1170.

Is this normal/acceptable? She can cancel and get a full refund before some time in July.

Airbnb's TOC include this: 4.2 Contracting with Guests. When you accept a booking request, or receive a booking confirmation through the Airbnb Platform, you are entering into a contract directly with the Guest, and are responsible for delivering the Host Service under the terms and at the price specified in your Listing.

Advice gratefully received.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
NYC recently introduced a whole load of new rules and restrictions relating to Airbnbs - including occupancy restrictions (2 guests only and owner must be in situ) resort taxes and additional registration fees (which Airbnb hosts are passing on to guests).

Aiming to bolster the hotel industry in NYC and available short term rental accommodation in the housing market.

My brother IL and Sister go over often ( we’ve close family in NYC and he has business interests in NYC) and they usually use a Airbnb because they like the ‘home’ base. New occupation restrictions means they wouldn’t have been able to take any of the kids now - but seeing as one of them got married and moved to NYC last year anyway, they will stay with them in future - it just got ridiculously expensive to Airbnb it and they certainly don’t want owners on the property while they’re staying anywhere.

Beware that these changes are pushing the price of traditional hotel rooms sky high.

See new regulations here

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Many large cities worldwide have clamped down on short term AirBnB rentals due to their impact in causing rental stock shortages for locals which in turn forces up rents. What has been described by the previous poster sounds about right for a large city. Berlin and other German cities have had a huge purge in recent years with strict T&Cs for AirBnB operators now. Berlin districts even have dedicated departments to go after rogue operators.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

She has paid AirBNB £1142. Now, out of the blue, she has just received an email from the host asking for

'tax rate' $3.50 a night

(0ver 6 nights $900)

So $1170.

Is this normal/acceptable? She can cancel and get a full refund before some time in July.

Airbnb's TOC include this: 4.2 Contracting with Guests. When you accept a booking request, or receive a booking confirmation through the Airbnb Platform, you are entering into a contract directly with the Guest, and are responsible for delivering the Host Service under the terms and at the price specified in your Listing.

This sounds about right. As others have said, AirBnB is becoming a more expensive (and less attractive) option is many large cities.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

'tax rate' $3.50 a night

(0ver 6 nights $900)

So $1170.

Those fees should all be included in the listing, it's advertising a false price otherwise.

Reply back and tell the host you won't pay anything above what was in the listing.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
It sounds like the host is operating outside the AirBnB platform and introducing their own additional fees. Unless these were obvious at the time of booking I wouldn’t even consider it and would cancel straight away. Sounds well dodgy.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Sorry to hijack this important thread H,
My question is this, just returned from Mallorca, we stayed in a all inclusive hotel (drank it dry of course), upon arrival I had to stump up €39 as a local tax, imposed apparently by councils etc, I had heard of this prior to leaving for the resort but am now questioning these charges, can anyone shaft light on the reason for this additional charge and more importantly is this just another ‘Brexit Benefit’ Anyone ?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Sorry to hijack this important thread H,
My question is this, just returned from Mallorca, we stayed in a all inclusive hotel (drank it dry of course), upon arrival I had to stump up €39 as a local tax, imposed apparently by councils etc, I had heard of this prior to leaving for the resort but am now questioning these charges, can anyone shaft light on the reason for this additional charge and more importantly is this just another ‘Brexit Benefit’ Anyone ?
Brussels operates something similar. We had a hotel booked last October and was informed there was a local tourist tax to pay at the hotel - couldn't be paid for in advance. Fairly sure it was cash only too which I found odd. It was a chain hotel just along from the EU Commision complex not a back street B&B pulling a shifty. Think it was about 3€ per night as I remember.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Brussels operates something similar. We had a hotel booked last October and was informed there was a local tourist tax to pay at the hotel - couldn't be paid for in advance. Fairly sure it was cash only too which I found odd. It was a chain hotel just along from the EU Commision complex not a back street B&B pulling a shifty. Think it was about 3€ per night as I remember.
Same happened in Rome when I went for the game. Was only a few Euros.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for the replies folks. Mrs T has cancelled and booked directly outside the Airbnb platform at a different address in a contract with explicit 'there will be no other charges' written into the arrangement.

:thumbsup:

Yrendan

Jun 25, 2024
This is exactly why I stopped using Airbnbs. I had a similar experience with unexpected fees that made me question their transparency.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here