Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice on good country pubs with food please.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Barrel of Fun said:
The Shepherd & Dog in Fulking. :bowdown:

]

I was a bit disa ppointed with the shepherd last time, since it has turned into a proper gastropub it has lost all of it,s old character.

Royak Oak is good call though

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
Barrel of Fun said:
The Shepherd & Dog in Fulking. :bowdown:

]

I was a bit disa ppointed with the shepherd last time, since it has turned into a proper gastropub it has lost all of it,s old character.

Royak Oak is good call though

The shepherd & dog is'nt as good as it was a few years ago and I dont like those marble bars they've put in there.

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
The Snowdrop in Lindfield or The Piltdown man in Piltdown

two of the best !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
MOWTCHOPS said:
The Snowdrop in Lindfield or The Piltdown man in Piltdown

two of the best !!

Not tried the Piltdown Man but I assume the Snowdrop is the one just off the A272to Scaynes Hill. The food was very good and reasonable priced but I tried one night cannot remember if it was a Mon or Tues and the kitchen was closed as they have a quiz that night.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The Ram Inn at Firle very good and reasonable you cannot book I suggest getting there about 11.55 whilst all is still on the menu.
A bit of a higgldey piggldey place but full of character.:thumbsup:

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
The Cock - near Ringmer/Lewes or if feelin flush The Griffing outside Arundel. Shep & Dog is always a bit of a let down.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Gully no 1 said:
Bit of a mission but the Crown at Dial post is nice

Very good, and they serve Hepworth Blonde organic lager on draught, which is delicious, as are the 2 or 3 real ales they serve.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Not tried the Piltdown Man but I assume the Snowdrop is the one just off the A272to Scaynes Hill. The food was very good and reasonable priced but I tried one night cannot remember if it was a Mon or Tues and the kitchen was closed as they have a quiz that night.

Oooh Scaynes Hill. Is the Farmers still there?. I'm going back about 20 years but they used to do a farmers special which was a huge bap with steak, might have had other stuff too, but also a fried egg on top and the bap had a little hole in it where you could see the egg yolk.

It were great

rool said:
Oooh Scaynes Hill. Is the Farmers still there?. I'm going back about 20 years but they used to do a farmers special which was a huge bap with steak, might have had other stuff too, but also a fried egg on top and the bap had a little hole in it where you could see the egg yolk.

It were great

Still there, but I haven't tried their food yet - just the karaoke on Sunday night.

The Dolphin in H.Heath is rather decent.
Oddly, the Royal Oak in Poynings, though a sterling pub, is a bit over-rated on the cullinary front. The Shepherd and Dog has far better, in my experience. However, it's right to say that it has been polished up too much. They even painted the wooden beams in gloss brown :eek: .
What everyone wants in a country pub is a blackened fireplace with copper kettle and bedwarmer, occasional sprigs of heather around (and the musty smell of it mixing in with the hops from the beer), old rough-hewn wooden furniture and only a slight glow of lights - not flooded by little modern spotlamps, generic table/chair sets and spotless bright painted walls. That's for McDonalds!

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
NMH said:
The Shepherd and Dog has far better, in my experience. However, it's right to say that it has been polished up too much. They even painted the wooden beams in gloss brown :eek: .

Painted wooden beams. :nono:

Must admit the quality of the food is ok it's just not as plentiful as it used to be.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Stinkers Bridge said:
The Cooper Arms in Crowborough.

You're guaranteed a warm welcome from Dave the landlord.

Ha! That reminds me of the time about 30 years ago when I was accosted in Crowborough Broadway by two yank soldiers. I guess they were visiting the army camp. Anyway, they wanted to know where the hot spot of activity was in Crowborough (as if there is one) so I directed them to the Cooper's Arms and then headed in the other direction as quickly as possible. The Cooper's Arms always seemed like it would take a nuclear device to wake it up in those days. Never tried the food though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here