Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Advertising on NSC

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Before you all start: I know they are important for revenue etc etc.

My question is have they always been this intrusive and has it got worse recently? The constant reappearing pop-up one is particularly annoying. Often you can only see a couple of threads per screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240729-093523.png
    Screenshot_20240729-093523.png
    833.5 KB · Views: 68

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I'm almost always on mobile and don't get any intrusive ads. Just a banner at the bottom, which I can clear, and the odd one that appears between posts
The one at the bottom you can remove. But it appears again after maybe 30s to a min.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm almost always on mobile and don't get any intrusive ads. Just a banner at the bottom, which I can clear, and the odd one that appears between posts
What about the one that goes from top to bottom of the screen and keeps coming back once x is clicked

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ads are highly targeted.

Most, but not all, of the ads you see will be related to sites you've visited, some sort of socio-economic profile derived from you or simply where you live.

@American Seagle has what looks to be a Hulu ad, presumably due to his US location and Hulu wanting his custom. 90% of NSC visitors are based in the UK so won't get a Hulu ad.

In most cases, for logged in users, the ads should be banners and I have them set to there shouldn't ever be more than one on screen at one time, although that can go slightly awry on a page with just a single post.

Very occasionally an ad does seem to have the ability to expand and be something you need to scroll all the way by. I've personally not had one of those for some months now. They are more annoying/intrusive, certainly, but due to the lack of frequency I see them, I've not pursued the issue. I appreciate I am a sample size of one though, and what I see may not be typical.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Ads are highly targeted.

Most, but not all, of the ads you see will be related to sites you've visited, some sort of socio-economic profile derived from you or simply where you live.

@American Seagle has what looks to be a Hulu ad, presumably due to his US location and Hulu wanting his custom. 90% of NSC visitors are based in the UK so won't get a Hulu ad.

In most cases, for logged in users, the ads should be banners and I have them set to there shouldn't ever be more than one on screen at one time, although that can go slightly awry on a page with just a single post.

Very occasionally an ad does seem to have the ability to expand and be something you need to scroll all the way by. I've personally not had one of those for some months now. They are more annoying/intrusive, certainly, but due to the lack of frequency I see them, I've not pursued the issue. I appreciate I am a sample size of one though, and what I see may not be typical.
It might be a regional thing, like you suggest, but just like @American Seagle I see those expanding ads all the damn time. Now, I 100% don't resent the ads as a concept, but they are annoyingly shouty when they do that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Jokes aside. I don’t notice any ads. The odd banner but rarely.

I’m not a heavy internet user and only visit four or five sites with any regularity.

Perhaps that’s it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Correct - NSC patrons don't (or shouldn't) get any ads.

If you do, please tell me and I'll check it out. I view the site with full ads, so I'm unlikely to notice if I configured an ad incorrectly and you're seeing it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Amazon is the biggest irritant. No problem with a banner at the bottom of the screen, but when I'm typing a reply or comment, it jumps in while I type and takes me to the Amazon website. Obviously not everytime, but sometimes two or three times in the same reply. Granted I could try and type faster, but I like to make sure anything I post is considered, accurate and honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here