Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advanced warning: some NSC disruption likely in the short-medium term

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've just received the hosting bill for the last month, and it's our highest ever at $791, equating to around £500 at current exchange rates.

Such bills, for any period of time, are simply unsustainable for NSC at current revenue earning rates. As such I shall begin the search for (yet) another hosting solution for our community. As ever I'll be trying to get the balance right between site performance and hosting cost but we all know from experience that it's not always as easy as we'd like.

I will, of course, attempt to provide as much notice as I can of any downtimes that are likely. Such downtimes are typical when the site has to be moved between hosts.

All very annoying as it did look as though we'd found a permanent home that could cope with the peaks in our usage.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
cor imagine if we ever get in the PREMIERSHIP Bozza, you'd need to find a host that could cover £2000 per month :thumbsup:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Have you looked at cloud hosting yet? Can dynamically handle the spikes in traffic. Rackspace are the most reliable (I have a contact there if you want) but not sure what the costs are for 100% up time guarantee. PM me if you like or just call them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Might need a drastic solution such as a small yearly donation from everyone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have you looked at cloud hosting yet? Can dynamically handle the spikes in traffic. Rackspace are the most reliable (I have a contact there if you want) but not sure what the costs are for 100% up time guarantee. PM me if you like or just call them.

We are currently hosted on Rackspace's cloud solution.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Assume you've been on dedicated servers?
What was the spec / cost?

We were on a dedicated before moving to Rackspace. Spec was low (can't remember specifics) and so was the price. NSC hit 300 users or so and things s-l-o-w-e-d a lot! The cloud approach appealed due to allowing the site to tick along even when NSC gets swamped at those occasional times - new manager, fixtures out etc etc

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
does seem dear, i can have a word with some one i know who host severs, i copied home page stats but any more details if you could let us know

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
ok ive spoken to someone who want to know how much traffic site uses per month roughly, but says can do it a lot cheaper

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
c1000gb a month, c4,000,000 pageviews.

I've had a recommendation and quote for what seems like a very powerfully specced dedicated server - happy to listen to others (from friends of friends etc) - PM or email me with details.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

I've had a recommendation and quote for what seems like a very powerfully specced dedicated server - happy to listen to others (from friends of friends etc) - PM or email me with details.

Bozza my company provides systems to councils across the UK via the web and we use a company called Titan Internet ltd to host it all for us. My IT guy researched it fairly extensively and reckons these were the cheapest he could find.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

ok have sent details to them and will pm the details to you sometime tomorrow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here