Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Advance Tickets - trains

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
What's happened to them?! Looking to book to go up north end of the summer. Trains for the weekend now available, but only £138 off peak return. Absolutely scandalous. Checked the weekends prior and all the same.

Up until now, booking in advance I'd be able to get advance tickets for around £80/90 return. This is on TrainPal, too, not just the National Rail app.

Car it is in my case now. Sod paying that much

Have a look at the stops in between. Try e.g. London to Crewe, then Crewe to Stockport as separate tickets. That can save you tons, especially if you can be a bit flexible with time.

We've just got our Everton travel for £36+tube each doing that, using a 2 together and splitting the London-Liverpool leg at Crewe.

It can be a bit of a faff getting the timings of the cheaper tickets to match up, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What time do you need to be in Stockport?

An example for one adult without railcard, tonight's prices:

Sat 24th Aug
Euston 08:40 - 10:56 Crewe £10.50
Crewe 11.10 - 11:35 Stockport £14.40

Sun 25th Aug
Stockport 11:17 - 11:52 Crewe £3.40
Crewe 12:13 - 14:29 Euston £14.60

Total £42.90 per adult, plus travel up to London & back from wherever you're going from. And cheaper still if you have a railcard.

You can also save on the London leg by going Brighton - St Pancras on the Thameslink, takes a bit longer but only about £15 for a single. 10-15 min walk to Euston if you're able and the weather's ok, or tube from Kings Cross if not. If you're starting from Lewes then obviously it means getting into Brighton first, so you might be happier paying the extra and going quick to Victoria instead.

Just some examples, might not suit your timings or who you're travelling with, but it may be worth a look while there are still advances available.

Either way, hope you find what works for you.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Jumping on this thread for Everton trains - Avanti wont let me buy train tickets, I realise I'm too late for advance fares and there dont seem to be many tickets left at all but even when I get to the payment page it wont let me buy the tickets

And yes I know Ive left it late but I could only buy a ticket for the game for the person I'm going with this morning so didnt buy train tickets earlier

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Jumping on this thread for Everton trains - Avanti wont let me buy train tickets, I realise I'm too late for advance fares and there dont seem to be many tickets left at all but even when I get to the payment page it wont let me buy the tickets

And yes I know Ive left it late but I could only buy a ticket for the game for the person I'm going with this morning so didnt buy train tickets earlier
Where are you going from? London to Liverpool return on that day looks about £58 return via Stafford or Crewe. Slower trains are less full of the army of bellends comprising our away support as well. Then get a London all zones travelcard for £20 or whatever it is from Brighton. Try WMR.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Where are you going from? London to Liverpool return on that day looks about £58 return via Stafford or Crewe. Slower trains are less full of the army of bellends comprising our away support as well. Then get a London all zones travelcard for £20 or whatever it is from Brighton. Try WMR.
No seats available on Avanti or the websites crap, will look at your suggestion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here