Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Ads on NSC

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Yeah don't use chrome - Google are effectively an advertising company after all. I use Opera on my phone and get no ads. I did for a while accept ads on this site in an attempt to support, but I just found the experience too off-putting.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
People who use NSC? Who are paying money for internet access? Who find the ads irritating but don't have a fiver a month to bin them off? Do they not understand that the ads mean they can use NSC for free?

Sorry, and all that, but it seems to be a bit of a first world problem to me. :shrug:
No one is complaining about having ads, they’ve never been a problem before. But, the issues I listed in my first post are really effecting user experience atm, and it seems I’m not alone.

Internet is a necessity now, not a luxury. You’re pretty much saying that if someone can afford the internet, they must be able to afford an extra £5 a month to become a patron. Some folk live their lives on a very tight budget. Not everyone lives a comfortable middle class existence you know!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No one is complaining about having ads, they’ve never been a problem before. But, the issues I listed in my first post are really effecting user experience atm, and it seems I’m not alone.

Internet is a necessity now, not a luxury. You’re pretty much saying that if someone can afford the internet, they must be able to afford an extra £5 a month to become a patron. Some folk live their lives on a very tight budget, not everyone lives a comfortable middle class existence you know!
Apologies. I hadn't realized there had been a step up in ads. I should have read your post more carefully. Perhaps @Bozza can look into the settings.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Apologies. I hadn't realized there had been a step up in ads. I should have read your post more carefully. Perhaps @Bozza can look into the settings.
No probs. I wouldn’t say the adverts have stepped up, it’s just they seem to be playing havoc with the UI, where they didn’t before.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry people are having issues.

I've got a lot going on away from NSC so I've not been on here as much as normal over the past couple of months, but I do still have the site open a fair bit on both desktop and mobile and I have the same version of the site as non-patrons so I get the full ad experience. I've not noticed it any worse at all recently.

It's always a fine balance, of course - we'd all probably chose to have no ads at all if we could, but a site as big and busy as this costs a lot to run.

There was one change made last week which may involve a video ad on occasion in one particular ad unit. Because of what I've got going on, I've just not had a chunk of time to look at that more closely, in order to ensure that logged-in users do not get the video ad. Some ads, particularly on mobile are animated, but not full on videos.

I'll try to check that out later this evening.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess the other thing to quickly add, is that we all have completely different experiences because of the way targeting works.

So, it's completely possible, that some people may be targeted by ads that are a bit more invasive, but I never get to see those myself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry people are having issues.

I've got a lot going on away from NSC so I've not been on here as much as normal over the past couple of months, but I do still have the site open a fair bit on both desktop and mobile and I have the same version of the site as non-patrons so I get the full ad experience. I've not noticed it any worse at all recently.

It's always a fine balance, of course - we'd all probably chose to have no ads at all if we could, but a site as big and busy as this costs a lot to run.

There was one change made last week which may involve a video ad on occasion in one particular ad unit. Because of what I've got going on, I've just not had a chunk of time to look at that more closely, in order to ensure that logged-in users do not get the video ad. Some ads, particularly on mobile are animated, but not full on videos.

I'll try to check that out later this evening.
Best wishes.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
That would explain my sudden explosion of German muff hair removal products and pvc shorts adverts I suppose.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I guess the other thing to quickly add, is that we all have completely different experiences because of the way targeting works.

So, it's completely possible, that some people may be targeted by ads that are a bit more invasive, but I never get to see those myself.
You mean your feed isn't clogged up with "Hot horny single women in Haywards Heath want your cock now"?

Hmm.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You mean your feed isn't clogged up with "Hot horny single women in Haywards Heath want your cock now"?

Hmm.
Of course not, no.

Mine say "Hot horny single women in Worthing want your cock now"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone else finding that it's getting like trying to read a local newspaper online?

It seems to have got much worse in the kast couple of months.
Agreed. I have stopped looking at nsc on my mobile phone!

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I don’t find the adverts too intrusive. I can understand the annoyance however, especially that privacy button on the side of the screen :angry:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
As a general Public Service Announcement:

- Consider stopping using Google Chrome as your default browser. It used to be the only good, fast and minimal browser choice, and the vast majority of us adopted it. But it’s pretty boggy, loves its ads, and it’s …google.

Consider other browsers, even MS Edge is a better options these days.

I use Opera, it’s great. There’s other similar options available, and I promise you’ll have a better experience on NSC after switching.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course not, no.

Mine say "Hot horny single women in Worthing want your cock now"
Here they are…..

IMG_6847.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here