Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams Resigns !!

Dandyman

In London village.
James Callow
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday December 9 2008 01.56 GMT

Chris Adams, the former England batsman, has resigned as Sussex captain to take on the role of cricket manager at Surrey.

The 38-year-old, who has retired as a player with immediate effect, has signed a three-year-contract with his new employers, replacing Alan Butcher who was sacked in September following the club's relegation.

Adams was the only shortlisted candidate interviewed by Surrey after the withdrawal of the former Warwickshire batsman Andy Moles, who was appointed coach of New Zealand two weeks ago.

Adams' success with Sussex in 10 years as captain, joining from Derbyshire in 1998 and winning the county's first three Championship titles between 2003 and 2007, will have offered some comfort given his failure at international level.

A forceful middle order batsman and an aggressive, he scored nearly 19,535 runs at first class level, but could muster only 104 runs in five Tests for England between 1999 and 2000.

This is his second move into coaching, having accepted an offer to coach and captain Yorkshire at the end of the 2006 season, only to abort his move in favour of staying with Sussex.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm so sorry to see him go, but so thankful he came down here in the first place.

Good Luck Grizzly :bowdown:

D

Deleted User X18H

I'll pound wiv ya the thead title gets changed to 'Former Sussex Cricket CAPTAIN CHRIS Adams resigns' ............before 10am

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sorry to see him leave the club rather than stay in a coaching or other role but first class cricket is behind him now

Dandyman

In London village.
He resigned last season as captain, shitty journalism from the Guardian!!!

Der der der der, Michael Yardy was made captain

True, but it would have robbed us of the thread title...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can't be bothered to read the thread - far too many words, but do you reckon we'll get Roy Keane then?

Dandyman

In London village.
Can't be bothered to read the thread - far too many words, but do you reckon we'll get Roy Keane then?

Not unless he's any good at cricketball.

Percy Flage

Perfidious Albion Exile
Nov 6, 2008
The High Weald
THANKS CHRIS FOR ALL YOU DID FOR THE FIVE MARTLETS

I echo that sentiment....Thanks Chris and Good Luck.

But what did he have against the sixth martlet?
I think we should be told.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here