• Tactically Astute

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Not a Clue

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jkw

Oct 19, 2008
MA proved some of his doubters wrong against Leicester but what do you think, were the subs a master stroke or just a stroke of luck,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tactics was never his strong point imo, but a team that fights for each other and competes for every ball is, they did that last night and having 3 players on the pitch in the 2nd half who could run at people was fecking magnificent to watch. Begs the question if you're putting him up as a master tactician as to why we didn't start the game with the team that started the 2nd half

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
An inspired loan signing contributed massively to last night's win.

But half of one game doesn't suddenly make Micky tactically astute.

vitusvivi

May 30, 2008
this game doesn't make Micky a genius! Think of all the other games we have drawn/lost. Wallall? Not much of a genius then. Hereford, hmmm i don't think so... uhhh... Hartlepool? Leyton Orient?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
SERENDIPITY

Serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I would say it was more lucky than master tactician

We were out played and out classed until we scored.

The starting 11 consisted of a never used goal keeper, 5 defenders and 5 midfielders, with 5 midfielders on the bench.

Not one striker or sub keeper, so everything was shoe horned into place, and it didnt work the first half.

A lucky deflection and we were back in the game at 2-1, a wonder goal and a last minute own goal and we had some how scraped a win.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Huge dose of luck. Own goal, a leceister manager who was clueless to stop what was going on, could easily have been 3 or more down and Johnson smacking in a couple of beuts does not add up to tactical genius!

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Not a clue on my own opinion or Adams not having a clue? I voted it anyway because I think the team selection at the beginning was pretty clueless but he made the right decision in changing it at half time rather than waiting until midway through the second half. I dont understand why its being labelled tactical genius when anyone with half a brain could have predicted Thornton (especially) and cox would have a positive impact given what happened on Saturday and in previous weeks.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not a clue on my own opinion or Adams not having a clue? I voted it anyway because I think the team selection at the beginning was pretty clueless but he made the right decision in changing it at half time rather than waiting until midway through the second half. I dont understand why its being labelled tactical genius when anyone with half a brain could have predicted Thornton (especially) and cox would have a positive impact given what happened on Saturday and in previous weeks.

Really? I agree that Cox can cause some damage to the opposition, but I appear to be in the minority on here about that. Some people have a MAJOR downer on him. Personally, I'm pleased he came on and did quite well.

Thornton - decent player and awesome last night - can also be a bit of a liability. He again stamped in on someone (he did it a couple of weeks ago) and got away with it, and has a bit of a tendency to keep the ball where a simple pass would be better. But last night's performance from him was of course excellent.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Really? I agree that Cox can cause some damage to the opposition, but I appear to be in the minority on here about that. Some people have a MAJOR downer on him. Personally, I'm pleased he came on and did quite well.

Thornton - decent player and awesome last night - can also be a bit of a liability. He again stamped in on someone (he did it a couple of weeks ago) and got away with it, and has a bit of a tendency to keep the ball where a simple pass would be better. But last night's performance from him was of course excellent.

Cox is all about confidence at the moment, he has very little meaning he is nowhere near as effective as he can be but I still think he worries defenders when he comes on. Most fans of football league clubs I've met since I've been at uni have commented on how well 'the little winger cox' played against them.

Thornton is a step above anyone we currently have at the club, his movement, passing and dribbling are all superb. I think as long as someone naturally defensive (thommo/el abd) are in the centre of midfield he can be a serious threat, certainly shouldn't be warming the bench from the start. Also, about the cheeky stamp last night, he stamped on the back of the hartlepool goaly after he saved a shot and was lucky it didnt get spotted.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The problem with Cox last night was that his crossing was mostly awful, and people notice that more than anything else. However he was part of the thing that changed the game - the improved balance and shape of the midfield, and the willingness to carry the ball forward and put Leicester on the back foot rather than pass it in front of them. But he should be playing on the right rather than the left.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
True about his crossing, very poor not enough pace on the ball. I think Micky likes Thornton on the right so he can cut inside and influence things in the middle of the park as well. I wish Coxy would run down the line rather than cutting inside, I remember him doing it one of the first home games of the season and us scoring from it...can't remember who against thugh.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The problem with Cox last night was that his crossing was mostly awful, and people notice that more than anything else. However he was part of the thing that changed the game - the improved balance and shape of the midfield, and the willingness to carry the ball forward and put Leicester on the back foot rather than pass it in front of them. But he should be playing on the right rather than the left.

Agree with most of that, except the last sentence.

One, he does the hard work, gets himself a yard, prepares to cross, and then it's like a voice in his head saying 'you're gonna f*** this cross up...', and it goes in at head height. HIS head height.

There does seem to be this thing about 'cutting in to cross'. I have absolutely no problem with this - as long as it lands on a strikers head, and goes in the goal, I don't care which foot it's crossed in on. And he does SEEM to prefer playing on the left.

The other thing was that I thought he supported Richards much better than McLeod did. Richards was, I thought, unfairly picked on by our fans. Their right winger was a handful, and Richards was left totally exposed. Cox coming on helped Richards and kept their wide men busy.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
And he does SEEM to prefer playing on the left.
What makes you say that?

I think the problem with the cutting inside onto his right foot is that it takes away momentum, and the angle of the cross is slightly easier to defend against even if it is good. I think it contributes to the standard of the cross, he has to generate the pace of it himself whereas if he's moving down the right with it he doesn't have to do that because he can just hit it. And as you say if he has that doubt in his head it can help with that too, it is more instinctive rather than him having to take it back and see all those defenders etc, and have to think about what he's about to do rather than just do it.
I remember a spell last season where 75% of our goals seemed to be Cox crossing from the right and Murray nodding it in.

True about his crossing, very poor not enough pace on the ball. I think Micky likes Thornton on the right so he can cut inside and influence things in the middle of the park as well. I wish Coxy would run down the line rather than cutting inside, I remember him doing it one of the first home games of the season and us scoring from it...can't remember who against thugh.
Fair point about Thornton but he's played left at times and he does the same. Cheltenham game especially. If he has a favoured foot I'm not sure which it is.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Cobblers - he played for and got.

Nope it was more by luck than judgement that we got the win.

He didnt have anything else to lose we were staring defeat in the face. It could have backfired but it didn't. It was a gamble.

If we was one down or nil nil we would have lost that game IMO as he wouldnt have changed things at half time and it would have been more of the same in the second. Defence all over the place, no midfield and f*** all up front.

Also Adams admitted he was lucky on the radio.

But I do see where you are coming from as he had nothing to lose by doing it so in essence he did "play for" it.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Nope it was more by luck than judgement that we got the win.

He didnt have anything else to lose we were staring defeat in the face. It could have backfired but it didn't. It was a gamble.

If we was one down or nil nil we would have lost that game IMO as he wouldnt have changed things at half time and it would have been more of the same in the second. Defence all over the place, no midfield and f*** all up front.

Also Adams admitted he was lucky on the radio.

But I do see where you are coming from as he had nothing to lose by doing it so in essence he did "play for" it.

No midfield??? we had five on the pitch and 5 on the bench!!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No midfield??? we had five on the pitch and 5 on the bench!!!!

You know what I mean they were there in name but DISAPPEARED in the first half!

Just like our defence and lone striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here