Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Adam Webster - our next England centre back

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Webster wouldn't get anywhere near England, as the idiot Southgate wouldn't know what to do with him.

I know Albion fans are a bit burnt by Southgate's selection of Dunk but its been reported that Webster has been close to being part of an England squad before and clearly now he's back to form with us then its no surprise he's under consideration again. Its probably only his injuries that have held him back.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Once you realise and accept that Shearer is as thick as pigshit then he’s easier to listen to, I’d be surprised if his IQ was a lot higher than his old shirt number. Had he not been blessed with real talent at football he’d have been stacking shelves.

If he was a shelf stacker would he go for a flat pack four ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BBC (gossip) reporting that Southgate considering calling up Webster are receiving 'rave' reviews!

That's a shame.

I'm not sure I can commit to [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] levels of England supporterdom that an Albion player would bring.

I was all for being #TeamPolski for a few games.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I know Albion fans are a bit burnt by Southgate's selection of Dunk but its been reported that Webster has been close to being part of an England squad before and clearly now he's back to form with us then its no surprise he's under consideration again. Its probably only his injuries that have held him back.

It's worth mentioning two other points in terms of this Southgate conspiracy narrative:
-- he (eventually) selected White for the Euros when a Brighton player
-- Dunk, deservedly, has an extreme loyal and partisan following among B&HA fans. Webster, understandably, less so. But that doesn't mean that the latter has the skill set and attributes (pace, especially) that Southgate is looking for whereas the former lacks the one that Southgate seems to value the most highly.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It's worth mentioning two other points in terms of this Southgate conspiracy narrative:
-- he (eventually) selected White for the Euros when a Brighton player
-- Dunk, deservedly, has an extreme loyal and partisan following among B&HA fans. Webster, understandably, less so. But that doesn't mean that the latter has the skill set and attributes (pace, especially) that Southgate is looking for whereas the former lacks the one that Southgate seems to value the most highly.

What is the attribute that Southgate values so highly (in Maguire, Stones, Coady and Mings)?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
On the pundit front, I was quite impressed with Martin Keown on BT. He had done his research on the game, knew his stats etc. He’s not the most exciting of characters but he had spent time doing his homework and don’t just spurge out tired cliches.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What is the attribute that Southgate values so highly (in Maguire, Stones, Coady and Mings)?

Your post seems to be ironic and defensive towards Dunk, apologies if I've got this wrong.
I thought Stones and Maguire did a really good job at the Euros, and have done when they've previously played together. Unusually, even Mings did in the first game.
All three haven't exactly had the best of seasons. This is especially the case with Maguire. Stones isn't playing much, largely as a result of the intense competition for places at City: Pep perms two from three; it worked for Stones last season; it hasn't really this one. Mings is not much of a player, but he does have pace -- which is the attribute that Southgate values highly. If you have a look at all the players he picks, rather than just (a selection of) CBs (see also White, for instance), you'll recognise this.
But pace becomes all the more important when Southgate privileges Maguire as first pick CB, which has been the case at least since the WC. Maguire is slow and, given the importance of pace at elite international football level, he needs to be partnered by someone with pace. I think this explains Southgate's non-selection of Dunk over the years, because Lewis is not blessed with pace. Of our (recent) CBs, White and Webster are.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Your post seems to be ironic and defensive towards Dunk, apologies if I've got this wrong.
I thought Stones and Maguire did a really good job at the Euros, and have done when they've previously played together. Unusually, even Mings did in the first game.
All three haven't exactly had the best of seasons. This is especially the case with Maguire. Stones isn't playing much, largely as a result of the intense competition for places at City: Pep perms two from three; it worked for Stones last season; it hasn't really this one. Mings is not much of a player, but he does have pace -- which is the attribute that Southgate values highly. If you have a look at all the players he picks, rather than just (a selection of) CBs (see also White, for instance), you'll recognise this.
But pace becomes all the more important when Southgate privileges Maguire as first pick CB, which has been the case at least since the WC. Maguire is slow and, given the importance of pace at elite international football level, he needs to be partnered by someone with pace. I think this explains Southgate's non-selection of Dunk over the years, because Lewis is not blessed with pace. Of our (recent) CBs, White and Webster are.

No, it was a genuine question. I thought you may have been alluding to pace but I wasn't sure because Maguire has none. Not sure about Coady's pace. Coady and Mings' main attribute, from what I've seen, is that they are both very vocal. Mings relentless ability to miskick with his left (club) foot is not necessarily an attribute unless Southgate feels he can press the resulting opposition throw in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he was a shelf stacker would he go for a flat pack four ?

“I’m only a sheet-metal worker’s Morris-son from Newcastle”

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No, it was a genuine question. I thought you may have been alluding to pace but I wasn't sure because Maguire has none. Not sure about Coady's pace. Coady and Mings' main attribute, from what I've seen, is that they are both very vocal. Mings relentless ability to miskick with his left (club) foot is not necessarily an attribute unless Southgate feels he can press the resulting opposition throw in.

Fair play. And like you, I don't know about Coady's pace, which is why I didn't comment on it. I suspect the reason why we both don't know is because Wolves tend to defend very deep so it's not tested. That was also the case with D&D under CH. They were both very CH defenders, Duffy especially. The problem with defending deep is it means that you can't push up the pitch.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think he has looked top class when he has played for us this season. However, despite his thunderbolt header on Tuesday, I think he still needs to find the target more at set pieces (ég the two headers the previous Friday).
Which got me thinking whether I would have preferred it if he had scored against Palace to give us a win, and missed against Chelsea meaning we would have lost that one.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Which got me thinking whether I would have preferred it if he had scored against Palace to give us a win, and missed against Chelsea meaning we would have lost that one.

Absolutely. Putting the Palace thing aside, we'd have one more point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here