Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo - WTF ?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I just knew Adams was going to f*** up the chance to put out a great midfield by sticking Virgo in there somewhere.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
our midfield whilst we have them here HAS to be:

Ansinayathing Savage Livermore Thornton.

What is the point in leaving Asiny on teh bench.....dreadful decision adams

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The defensive frailties are one thing, thats a whole other thread. But we had the players here to CANE that lot this afternoon, that match could and should have been an absolute walkover. Thornton looked quality, Murray was on fire, Forster ran his socks off, Savage was knitting things together with some lovely touches in the middle. Yet we STILL contrived to f*** it all up.

If Anyinsah had been on the pitch instead of Virgo, that match would have ended up being a cricket score, theres NO WAY Cheltenham could've handled him AND Thornton on that form. Instead we get a pissing DRAW against a team who had until today picked up a big fat zero on the road. And WE were hanging on against THEM.

Rancid.

Agreed wholeheartedly with all the above, except I don't think we were exactly hanging on.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Agreed wholeheartedly with all the above, except I don't think we were exactly hanging on.

We were! We dropped deeper and deeper as the second half wore on, and moments before the sending off I thought we'd conceded a stone wall penalty.

We weren't exactly chasing a 4th goal to kill the game were we? Thornton off for El-Abd rather than Virgo off for Asayaaingthataina set out our stall to try and "hang on".

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
We failed to win today because of more unimaginative management by Adams. Virgo shouldn't have been playing right midfield but that wasn't the main problem. When Thornton went off, why bring El-Abd on rather than Anynsah? What is the obsession with playing defenders in midfield? This isn't having a go at El-Abd even though I'm not a fan of his.

Our central midfield was working fine with Livermore and Savage as a pairing but yet again, Adams moved Livermore out wide and disrupted things unnecessarily. Surely he must be able to see that Livermore is most effective in the middle, as show today, against Man City and to a certain degree in the Scunthorpe game.

We lost our shape and any drive so instead of trying to put the game away we went back into our shells. With about 10 minutes to go, Savage was berating the back line and midfield for dropping too deep and letting them come at us and yet we still don't learn.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He was there to take advantage of little Alan Wight. Sadly the plan didn't really work out.
That is the first reasonably plausible reason I've seen for it. However I'm not sure it's right, he only had a few aerial balls the whole game (not like when we tried this tactic under McGhee with Revell), they didn't seem to be playing for it if it was the idea.

And even so I'm not sure it's a great tactical plan, winning headers in wide positions, not exactly dangerous. Why not Anyinsah to take advantage of slow Alan Wright (and Joe's not a little guy either)? If not from the start, then after 60 minutes when it was abundantly clear it was never going to work?

Virgo is too slow for right back, wouldn't work in my opinion.
It worked the last time we were promoted from this league. Plus he's no slower than Whing.

Mar 12, 2008
It seemed the plan for the first half Silent Bob, then faded out in the 2nd.

The bottom line is, our negativity cost us (starting line-up & substitutions).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We were! We dropped deeper and deeper as the second half wore on, and moments before the sending off I thought we'd conceded a stone wall penalty.

We weren't exactly chasing a 4th goal to kill the game were we? Thornton off for El-Abd rather than Virgo off for Asayaaingthataina set out our stall to try and "hang on".

Totally agree with what you say about our sorry approach to the game.

I just don't think Cheltenham exactly had us backs against the wall hanging on though. They didn't look that good to me. Aside from the quality strike for their 2nd, I think their other 2 goals were more about defensive lapse of concentration on our part than anything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here