Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo - The New Albion Captain

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Out of interest, and I am sure I have missed it, but where does this information come from? I do like to see things officially announced, but can't see this particualr snippet anywhere.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'd actually say that Slade probably realises that right now Forster isnt going to be fit enough to play regularly for a while at least.

Probably wants to pick a captain who will be playing every game rather than toss the armband around on a reg basis depending on who is in the starting 11. Obviously decieded that Virgs is his first choice centre half and therefor given it to him

Think thats a good point, after all we had (I think) El Abd and Fraser as captains at somepoint as well?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Out of interest, and I am sure I have missed it, but where does this information come from? I do like to see things officially announced, but can't see this particualr snippet anywhere.

Tne new team picture gives very strong clues. But yes you would think there would be an official announcement on the club site.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Tne new team picture gives very strong clues. But yes you would think there would be an official announcement on the club site.

Its in the Argus with quotes from Slade

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ah, you see, we don't get the Argus out here in the sticks, not that I think I would buy it even if it did make it here.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
it would appear his nomadic days are finally over, thank f***.

Quite. I hope they don't forget though, that he can be bunged up front for the last 10 minutes in an emergency. He's a right pain in the arse up front and it's paid off before, most notably at Watford and against Swindon.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I really have no problem with Virgo playing in goal, if *IF* injuries and suspensions demand it.

It was when Adams was consistently shoehorning him into the team when he had other (arguably better) players in that position warming the bench that pissed people off.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I hope they don't forget though, that he can be bunged up front for the last 10 minutes in an emergency.

I really have no problem with Virgo playing in goal, if *IF* injuries and suspensions demand it.

think we all recognise that he's usefull up front and value the fact he's willing to chip in where ever asked (unlike others we've seen in recent years). great to have such a flexible player, but time to settle into one position for all but emergencies.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Quite. I hope they don't forget though, that he can be bunged up front for the last 10 minutes in an emergency. He's a right pain in the arse up front and it's paid off before, most notably at Watford and against Swindon.

I actually agree with this - the last ten minutes is fine.

I remember seeing him do the same when he was with Colchester at Wolves. They did the same when they were 0-1 down with ten minutes to go, reverting to 3 in defence, and using Virgo as a third striker. They didn't score, but by using Virgo they were able to scare Wolves into sitting back and trying to absorb Colchesters attacks, rather than attacking themselves.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I put him down as my captain as early as yesterday, does that make me a possible replacement for RS if the going gets tough and he gets the spanish archer mid-season?

Sensible decision IMHO. He's a good figurehead, a very good player (if played in the right position) and has now gained good experience to do the job.

However quite how some people deduce this is effectively the end for Forster staggers me. Although he's currently unfit due to his return from injury I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of him this season. He has still got what it takes and I am sure will be an invaluable part of our strike force this year.

Generally speaking I don't think strikers make good Captain's and a quality CB like Virgo should do the job nicely :albion2::albion2::albion2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My lad got a card and a signed photo from Forster through the post for his birthday yesterday.
Nice of him to remember, I thought.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its not unknown to have a captain and vice captain anyway.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's on the official site now, the best bit being this quote from Slade: "He is a defender so most of the game is in front of him. He is a good character and he can be a strong character when he needs to be."

Take note, Micky Adams.

QTarantino

Jul 24, 2009
Virgo is probably the only option apart from Forster but I just think it is a shame. It has pretty much sent out a message that he will start week in week out (barring shocking form) meaning only once centre back place left for Wright/Tunnicliffe/Elphick.

I bet McNulty will be back soon so there's is going to be some very good players being unable to get into an average league one side.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Fair play to the lad, Nicky Forster will remain club captain, but Virgo skippers on the pitch

Adam-Virgo-Brighton_1921682.jpg

forgive me for this but what is the difference between club captain and skipper, i thought they were the same thing !?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here