Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El-Abd

9 years with the Albion, 250 appearances. It's an amazing record, given how much the club has changed over that period, that he should still be a regular member of the first team. Well done Adam!
How far do you think he can go? Will he be good enough for the Premiership?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Just shows what people know; a few years back in a crap team in a lower division, people on here were saying he wasn't good enough.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Will he be good enough for the Premiership?

Yes, I think he will be. In the first half against Liverpool in the FA Cup he put in a sterling, if unconventional, performance. Liverpool didn't like it but that was tough shit. He and Greer were absolute rocks.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I think most of us thought he'd be on his way out when Gus took over, and I was one of those people.
But, I'm delighted at the fact that he's proved all of us doubters wrong.

He's been absolutely awsome and his game's improved immensely, so for that reason, I think he can make the step up. He never seems over-awed by any of the so-called "big clubs" that we've played.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its a shame a bit more wasn't made of it on Wednesday, I fully expected it to be said when his name was read out on the team sheet.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Its a shame a bit more wasn't made of it on Wednesday, I fully expected it to be said when his name was read out on the team sheet.

Yes, agree with this. Poorly handled from the club I thought. Very unusual for them to make such an oversight though to be fair.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
During his shit years, he was rarely if ever played in his best position. He is a centre half; nothing else.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I said back in november that I was looking forward to him getting stuck into this division - and stuck in he has got! He may have had some dodgy spells in the past, but all players do. With 250 appearnces and a regular place in a leading championship side I think he has proved himself to the doubters.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Possibly, but he has other landmarks looming soon.

He is 12 short of 300 appearances in total, for instance.
He is 4 goals short of career double figures...

I'd hope something is mentioned then.

300 will be next season I think? Be good if it's the first game of the season though.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Apart from having to play in multiple positions, he also had a bad run of injuries, which seemed to set him back every time he started to get established in the side. I also suspect he is a much better centre back having played a spell in midfield under Wilkins.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
In Gus's first match at Southampton, a long long time ago. Gus called him over to the technical area and whispered in his ear. I have no idea what was said, but he hasn't looked back since. It was like turning on a light switch.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I may be wrong, but didn't Poyet say when he first came here that signing up El Abd to a longer contract was a priority as he was the club's best defender......many of us scratched our heads when we heard this, but he's become an excellent defender under Poyet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here