Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El Abd

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Amongst all the talk of the ten being released and the five that have been offered new contracts I cannot see one mention of Adam El Abd.
I assume that he still has the offer on the table - any idea how long he has to make his mind up ?

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
he is not going to be signed by a club any better than us - dont see what he is waiting for

He's waiting for better money from us .... but he won't get it.

He should be very careful playing a game of brinkmanship with the club as we are only one signing (a partner for Thomson) away from him being just a squad player who can cover a few positions.

We could very easily start the season fully fit and he finds himself out of the side, watching frothe stands and with the contract no longer on the table.

I was very impressed with El-Abd last season, I though he played very well, but he doesn't want to get ideas above himself.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
He's waiting for better money from us .... but he won't get it.

He should be very careful playing a game of brinkmanship with the club as we are only one signing (a partner for Thomson) away from him being just a squad player who can cover a few positions.

We could very easily start the season fully fit and he finds himself out of the side, watching frothe stands and with the contract no longer on the table.

I was very impressed with El-Abd last season, I though he played very well, but he doesn't want to get ideas above himself.

thats exactly my view on the situation - elphick/lynch is a better partnership, we are almost guaranteed to look to get in a new central player, who will more than likely be a better partnership alongside thomson, whing is first choice right back, and everytime el abd has been left back he has been wank

if he is not going to be good enough to get into our starting team, then there is no way he can expect to start at a better side than us. which means it can only be down to one thing - money

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Exactly, Scotty Mac, it's money, pure and simple.

I don't mind players trying to get the best wage possible, we all do it don't we, but I do wish they wouldn't insult our intelligence by making up other reasons.

"My girlfriend is expecting our first baby, so I have to consider what is best for the family."

Okay Adam, you live round the corner from where you work, and would doubtless earn FAR more than the little woman, so earnings wise, the decision lays with you. How the massive upheaval of moving to another club, and finding a place, and getting new friends, and being further from your family could be "best for your family" in the latter stages of pregnancy, I have simply no idea.

It's money, and I don't blame him, but the club should put a deadline on the contract and it should be 1st July. If he hasn't signed by then, the offer is gone and we sign players assuming El-Abd is no longer with us. In 6 months time the player has ALL the cards, but right now we have the possiblity of signing replacements (and it would take many) that leaves him out of the picture, and then what's his value when his contract is up. A player who has not been able to break into Brighton's team ... they won't be queueing up.

I hope he signs, I like him a lot, but we shouldn't let him mess us around. Sign and commit, or go now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i really hope he signs. its clear he has bags of ability, though that counts against him somtimes with being moved around. but he should look at some who have left today and realise that commitment pays off in the long run. does he want to be a journeyman or have legend status? cause i reckon the wages are the same in the end either way.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
thats exactly my view on the situation - elphick/lynch is a better partnership, we are almost guaranteed to look to get in a new central player, who will more than likely be a better partnership alongside thomson, whing is first choice right back, and everytime el abd has been left back he has been wank

if he is not going to be good enough to get into our starting team, then there is no way he can expect to start at a better side than us. which means it can only be down to one thing - money

Didsint he mention about wanting to play at CB?

It might not be down to money, Luke Young left Spurs because he wanted to play at CB because he thought playing at RB was ruining his chances, go figure.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Look at the way Bertin allegedly regretted not signing the proffered contract and urged Martot to sign if given the opportunity. I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, the grass isn't always greener.

From a completely pragmatic point of view, it's always more comfortable looking for a job when you already have one ain't it? Surely he'd be better off taking a firm offer than taking his chances that somebody else will want him, especially in the light of his supposed family position. A certain medium-term future on less money than you'd hoped for has got to be better than a completely uncertain future hasn't it?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He will either sign or be sold
Still expect to see some exits before the season startss either as long term loans or sales

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I really hope he stays. He has the ability to be a KEY player for us next year. We need versatile players in the squad.

People say about this versatility, what positions can he play?
From what I can see it's either centre midfield or possibly right midfield? I certainly wouldn't want him for centre back

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As someone said earlier he is not first choice anywhere on the park. I'm not overly fussed about El-Abd. He is dispensable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here