Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El-Abd - Our best defender

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We did, it was Jake Wright who could play left back or centre back but he got injured. Having said that, and based on your argument, why didn't the club sign Ashley Cole or Gael Clichy as cover for McNulty!!!!!

For your benefit, I'll re phrase the question. Out of the current squad available, who, in the absence of Wright and McNulty, would you play at left back.

You seem to be getting all weird on me. And you have added a further condition to your question. The 'out of our current squad' condition was not there originally. You simply enquired as to who should play instead El-Abd.

Anyways, McNulty got an injury which meant he would be out of action for a considerable time......at the very least. Buying a single central defender from a non-league team does not even really fill the position let alone provide stength of depth for a full-back position in my book. I would have got 2 players in and put El-Alb on the list.

I would also suggest that Jake Wright has demonstrated admirably that he is more centre-half than left back.

There isnt anything controversial about what I have suggested. You asked a question and I've answered it. Why the bee in your bonnet?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We did, it was Jake Wright who could play left back or centre back but he got injured. Having said that, and based on your argument, why didn't the club sign Ashley Cole or Gael Clichy as cover for McNulty!!!!!

For your benefit, I'll re phrase the question. Out of the current squad available, who, in the absence of Wright and McNulty, would you play at left back.

Can you explain the logic used in your 'Ashley Cole/Clichy' retort? Where did that come from?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

One other thing, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is the case the Jake Wright has played most of his career at centre-half....and only covered at left back. I know he himself considers himself a centre-half due to an interview I read. As I say, in my mind this is not really filling McNulty's position let alone providing strength in depth.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You seem to be getting all weird on me. And you have added a further condition to your question. The 'out of our current squad' condition was not there originally. You simply enquired as to who should play instead El-Abd.

Anyways, McNulty got an injury which meant he would be out of action for a considerable time......at the very least. Buying a single central defender from a non-league team does not even really fill the position let alone provide stength of depth for a full-back position in my book. I would have got 2 players in and put El-Alb on the list.

I would also suggest that Jake Wright has demonstrated admirably that he is more centre-half than left back.

There isnt anything controversial about what I have suggested. You asked a question and I've answered it. Why the bee in your bonnet?

The simple point that I have been trying to make but which seems to go over your head is that the club can only play players on our books. You seem to make the suggestion that the club weren't bothered about signing a left back as cover for McNulty whom it was exptected wouldn't be fit until long after the season had started. I may be wrong but I assume you don't know all the enquiries the club may have made about the availability of left backs or offers that were made and rejected or just players that didn't want to come to Brighton. We were hardly an attractive proposition having just avoided relegation. Any leftback we tried to sign would probably have to accept that they would be second choice to a fit McNulty. So, which quality leftback should we have signed then?

I accept Wright was a panic buy probably because we had run out of options and/or time, unless of course you are suggesting a further year for Mayo!

Can you explain the logic used in your 'Ashley Cole/Clichy' retort? Where did that come from?

There it goes again, straight over your head! If signing players was as straightforward as you make out then why didn't we sign the above two?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You seem to make the suggestion that the club weren't bothered about signing a left back as cover for McNulty whom it was exptected wouldn't be fit until long after the season had started.

You seem to be jumping to a few too many conclusions.

No, I suggest the manager of the time failed to bring people(s) in. It might be difficult to get players, and Slade may well have persued a lot of players, and his gamble might have paid off, but ultimately he failed in this particular area ofthe team in my opinion.

Anyways, we're both spending too much time on this. Let's just agree to disagree eh?

Lush

Mods' Pet
He ought to play well considering he has a midfielder covering him most of the time.

Since when has using a winger who can track back and tackle (ie Bennett) become an indication of a defender who can't do their job properly?

We've been up against four great teams with particularly good players on the wing. Doesn't it make sense to cover the threat every which way? How many full backs could honestly cope on their own?

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Since when has using a winger who can track back and tackle (ie Bennett) become an indication of a defender who can't do their job properly?

We've been up against four great teams with particularly good players on the wing. Doesn't it make sense to cover the threat every which way? How many full backs could honestly cope on their own?

Of course you are right. But the El-Abd haters will find anyway to criticise him:US:

billy bullshitter bet you were one of the fans whos bin slatin this guy for ages. the fact is a defence is a unit. if one of u fail they all fail, however if u support each other ul get somewhere. One mistake from hoyte cost us the whole ethic of the team against charlton making us lose. All this saying there all shit is crap. tellin you you will all feel like idiots when elphick and tunnicliffe are in the championship.

A quick browse of my profile would tell you that El-Abd is one of my favourite players,so no.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Since, seemingly, Poyet has deliberately changed tactics in a game to bail El-Abd out. Take the Southampton game for example where El-Abd only appeared to play better with Bennett specifically moved to help him out.

For me the difference is that I know Elphick, Tunny and Virgo are capable of better things but are having a horrible patch at the moment. El-Abd, for me, has been out of his depth as long as I've watched him. He lacks the basic skills for this level.

Saying that, I'm not the bloke who keeps picking him so what do I know? It's just that my heart sinks every time I see his name in the starting 11.

Nice chap though

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You seem to be jumping to a few too many conclusions.

No, I suggest the manager of the time failed to bring people(s) in. It might be difficult to get players, and Slade may well have persued a lot of players, and his gamble might have paid off, but ultimately he failed in this particular area ofthe team in my opinion.

Anyways, we're both spending too much time on this. Let's just agree to disagree eh?

Sorry but it's not as easy as that.

Firstly, I agree that we should have brought in the players at the time but the fact is we didn't, whatever the reasons. Therefore we can only pick players from our current squad so why can't you answer the question as to who you would play at left back.

Virtually everyone accepts that El Abd is not first choice at probably any position but unless you have an alternative then he is doing the best he can.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry but it's not as easy as that.

Firstly, I agree that we should have brought in the players at the time but the fact is we didn't, whatever the reasons. Therefore we can only pick players from our current squad so why can't you answer the question as to who you would play at left back.

Virtually everyone accepts that El Abd is not first choice at probably any position but unless you have an alternative then he is doing the best he can.

I would have got someone in on loan then :)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would rather him in midfield than that fat useless **** Navarro.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
By all accounts he's been very attentive and applied himself very well in training. Can't be faulted for attitude or commitment.

Not technically our best defender, but perhaps the hardest-working at the mo'.

Dickyboy

Feb 2, 2009
rustington
Gets a lot of stick but certainly committed and has improved so lets give the guy some praise for a change good back up and squad player.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
He ought to play well considering he has a midfielder covering him most of the time.

Hasn't 2 outta Dicker and Crofts or Navarro been covering infront of the central defenders? doesn't the right back have anyone in front of him too providing some cover?

El-Abd and Bennett have been going forward in the last few games and not just concentrating on defending as you imply

El-Abd has been playing well, yet some of our so called 'fans' can't give credit, but look to rubbish their efforts instead - I don't get it, explain why people choose to run down a player just because they have a dislike for him rather than judge him on what he is doing on the pitch at the time?

Btw - I suggested playing El-Abd in the centre after the Norwich game, especially as he deserves a 1st team place if McNulty takes over at left back

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm not rubbishing El Abd or the effort the guy clearly puts in, but there is no doubt that Bennett's ability to get forward has been limited in recent games because of the excessive support that Adam has needed.

It's not his fault he is not good enough - he is a tryer (more than some) - he may well be listening and learning in training - he may improve. But the point is it seems that Poyet has felt that (for whatever reason, being out of position included) he has needed more cover than most. I can't fault the player - but in my view he is being substantially helped out by his winger at the cost of the rest of that wingers game - and that has a big effect on our ability to score goals.

If you check out any of my posts you will know that (Joel Lynch aside) I support players and try to stay positive. So my view is not another negative nelly post - it's just a point of view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here