Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Absolutely fuming

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I have to confess I immediately thought it was offside from my seat in West Upper ... so I stayed sat in my seat while others around me were going crazy!

As HWT said, there's no conspiracy against us. VAR doesn't look to support the on-field decision when it comes to offside ... it's not about there being a clear and obvious error.

It was very marginal ... but it was offside.

Also West Upper and a bloke behind me audibly said "offside" just as Gross shot even though none of the rest of us could see that offside-ness from where we were. Before the match he'd also predicted to his mate that we'd win 3-2 which seemed outlandish at 10 minutes before kick-off but less so by 3.15pm, so I was hoping after that goal was chalked-off that maybe he was just demonstrating some kind of psychic second sight or had arrived in a DeLorean or something and knew there was another goal coming. Alas not.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We had little faith in that lino, who often looked to the ref to make a decision on whose throw it should be then put his flag up He was also slow to follow play at times, but in all fairness we were exactly in line and our player was offside, albeit marginally.The picture shows the 2 players to be roughly in the same position but of course does not tell us when the ball was played. Great shame as it was a superb strike.

Yes, I think the players should have switched onto that and appealed for every throw, the officials seemed to be deciding based on the players reactions.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I have to confess I immediately thought it was offside from my seat in West Upper ... so I stayed sat in my seat while others around me were going crazy!

As HWT said, there's no conspiracy against us. VAR doesn't look to support the on-field decision when it comes to offside ... it's not about there being a clear and obvious error.

It was very marginal ... but it was offside.
Same here. I didn't celebrate the goal as I actually thought Gross was quite a way off when the ball was passed to him but that picture makes it look much closer. Whatever happened to giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt on offside decisions - didn't that used to be the case?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
When it's that close, the goal should stand. Why punish attacking play? An attacker will always be leaning forward, the defender will almost always be leaning the other way trying to get out. It's ridiculous that it should be that close, just give the damn goal. Football is about scoring goals, there's no value in the refereeing team desperately looking for a reason to disallow them.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Watching on tv, my initial thought as he received the ball was “ah, bollocks, offside”.

Then they spent ages getting the VAR image up, and it looked to me like - no, he was actually just onside. Brilliant!

I genuinely thought they were to give a goal after all. I sat there thinking “VAR’s going to say goal, it’s 3-2!”

How they can decide that’s definitely offside is beyond me.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Simon Hooper can't draw straight lines. The linesmans in a different time zone for most of the game.

It's level, it's onside, regardless Gross checked back, then split 2 defenders and beat the keeper, a worthy match winner.

extra pissed off as I had a bet on 3-2 and it would have paid for my day out! and would have been an 8th point in the score predictor.

Officiating in the PL is extremely poor and the VAR situation worse still.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Such a shame as it was a class finish, deserved to win the game.
I don't think I've ever seen Gross strike it so well. I'm still angry.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you'll find that Liverpool - and other BIG clubs - have had goals chalked off when the lines seem to be touching.
The problem was that the lines weren't drawn in the correct place. Gross is nowhere near the line.

The big club incidents you talk of - has that been this season, since the rules were supposed to have changed?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
extra pissed off as I had a bet on 3-2 and it would have paid for my day out! and would have been an 8th point in the score predictor.

Commiserations. I sort of feel your pain. I'm in a tight title race on Fantasy Premier League and I dropped Ward-Prowse to my bench. He won't be coming into my team and I've fallen off the pace. The person I'm in a title fight with is a Palace fan. I've still got a bench boost to use though, the fight isn't over!

What a strange criticism, I think Gross strikes a lovely ball. I'm thinking back to the West Brom goal in the first PL win, for starters. He has scuffed a couple of pens more recently though, in fairness.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What a strange criticism, I think Gross strikes a lovely ball. I'm thinking back to the West Brom goal in the first PL win, for starters. He has scuffed a couple of pens more recently though, in fairness.
I'm not meaning to be hard on him - it's nothing to do with his overall game, just his net busters from a bit of distance in open play. West Brom was a long time ago, but I think yesterdays was a better strike.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It seems just a matter of luck how the lines get drawn. One person does it how they were today and the system says offside, but on another day a different VAR official could have positioned them slightly different. It always feels like a manual process where the VAR person says ''yeah thats roughly about it'', and then an offside is given by inches which wouldnt have been if the lines were drawn more accurately.

It also depends upon the lines being drawn at exactly the point the hall leaves the passers boot. That is impossible. Marginal offside decisions are still subjective VAR or no VAR.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Seem to recall it being similar to his second against West Brom in our first premier League win.

Edit: Just seen someone else has referenced the West Brom goal

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Another way of looking at it though, is that in the pre-VAR days it would have been given offside anyway as the lino raised his flag.

It would have been worse in a sense if the linesman hadn't flagged it and VAR had then overruled him. It might be the case that because it was so marginal they went with rhe onfield official's decision.

Having said that, he is cleatly to all intents and purposes level, so onside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here