Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
tedebear said:
no he doesn't

So he suddenly has rights the instant the baby is born?

Or when do his rights start?

(NB - Just playing Devil's Advocate like, not that I believe he should have the choice.... :) )

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As has been said by so many on here, NO man has the right to decide what a woman does with er body, end of.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
DTES said:
Actually, I think it is. "pro-choice" is just that. It takes into account all of these "infinite number of reasons and circumstances", pro-life takes in none. No-one's preaching "pro-abortion", such that there should be rules under which abortion should take place. People are stating a belief in exactly what you say - that these "reasons and circumstances" are taken into account - that a choice exists.
Agreed.
You make a good point - being "pro choice" doesn't actually make someone "pro abortion". But its a point of view that acknowledges that a woman has the right to make that choice. Whether the choice is then subsequently made for the right reasons then comes down to a matter of opinion, which is where the water gets very muddy...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh this subject again. I used to believe all that "woman's right to choose" rubbish right up until the moment I saw my daughter's beating heart on an ultrasound scan. I'm sure no one's changed their minds since the last time we debated it. Interestingly the only 'new' bit of the debate I've heard recently was this: "The argument that a foetus is just a clump of cells, a bit of tissue has long since been defeated." No, not some doctor-murdering religous-right nutter but feminist writer Naomi Wolfe.

I do hate the way though that termination (I won't use the more accurate but emotive word) is described as 'pro-choice'. Like 'friendly fire' it's one of those expressions that doesn't actually mean what it says to the person on the receiving end.

Anyway that's me done. And no, I don't want to see it outlawed. The current situation, whilst depressing and distressing, is better than before abortion was legalised.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
DTES said:
JonC has gone now. So on to the next debate:

In a healthy relationship, the mother and father disagree over whether or not to keep an unborn baby. After birth, it could easily be argued that the father has equal rights, so should he have a say before birth?

Off you go guys....

:jester:

If he has no say whatsover thats hardly a healthy relationship.
Ideally the couple should discuss it, with the final decision being the womans, having taken into account her partners views.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
JonC said:
But history shows that one thing always leads to another.

what does this mean ? One thing always leads to another ?

JonC said:
Abortion is becoming widely expected, it wouldn't have been some years back. Who's to say, in 200 years, Brighton fans won't be having the same deabte about killing disabled kids? [/B]

what does this mean ? expected ? why would this happen ?

it's a mystery.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
bhaexpress said:
As has been said by so many on here, NO man has the right to decide what a woman does with er body, end of.
I know I said I was done but I can't let that go without comment. I think some men hide behind that "Woman's right to choose". It's actually a handy cop-out for men more akin to "It's your problem love, wouldn't want to interfere and tell you what do do with your life". Rather than pro-feminist, pro-woman it's abandoning your responsibility. Voroshilov had it right when he said it should be discussed by both parties as they're both responsible.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Brovian said:
I know I said I was done but I can't let that go without comment. I think some men hide behind that "Woman's right to choose". It's actually a handy cop-out for men more akin to "It's your problem love, wouldn't want to interfere and tell you what do do with your life". Rather than pro-feminist, pro-woman it's abandoning your responsibility. Voroshilov had it right when he said it should be discussed by both parties as they're both responsible.

In my case it wasn't a 'cop out' as you put it. It was my wife's decision (we were not married at the time and it wasn't my kid either, we had just started going out at the time). I was prepared to support her whichever option she chose.

I can tell this much though, thefather didn't give a toss however.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Brovian said:
i agree that it should be discussed by both parties and yes they are both responsible but the final decision will always be with the woman as she will either choose to keep the baby or walk to the abortion clinic. no man can do this for her.

Last edited:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Brovian said:

yes both parties are responsible. however i would not wish to carry or bring into this world a child i did not want just for my partner because he disagreed with abortion. what would be the logic in that it would just breed resentment.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
caz99 said:
yes both parties are responsible. however i would not wish to carry or bring into this world a child i did not want just for my partner because he disagreed with abortion. what would be the logic in that it would just breed resentment.

Totally agree. I certainly wouldnt want to carry it just because my partner wants it

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Totally agree. I certainly wouldnt want to carry it just because my partner wants it

And the other way round? You want it, but your partner doesn't yet. Would you terminate it and wait until you were both 100% happy for it to go ahead?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In the early stages of pregnancy then it should be up to the mother but the father should be involved in the decision making because it is obviously going to have an emotion impact on him as well.

I do agree that in cases of rape it can be seen as something good coming out of the evil BUT it is surely up to the mother to decide. It is her body.

Having an abortion in the early stages is no different to taking a morning after pill and many parents naturally miscarriage as well. It is only the POTENTIAL to be a person.

Also, when parents know that their child is likely to suffer intolerable pain then it is perhaps the kinder thing to do to abort.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
DTES said:
And the other way round? You want it, but your partner doesn't yet. Would you terminate it and wait until you were both 100% happy for it to go ahead?

Its certainly a tricky one. It depends on how the relationship is. I'd probably get rid of it, but it wouldnt be an easy decision

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
DTES said:

no cos its my body. men cant carry children. perhaps the principles arent right. but the practicalities are. i am the woman i have the ultimate choice.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
caz99 said:
no cos its my body. men cant carry children. perhaps the principles arent right. but the practicalities are. i am the woman i have the ultimate choice.

Fair enough. I was just asking, I honestly don't know which side of the fence I'd put myself on. But I'll leave it now, and let you and BAG discuss the merits of particular one.

:)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
This has been the best thread for ages. It's great to hear real opinions and heated disscusions. We should have a topic like this everyday.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
dougdeep said:
This has been the best thread for ages. It's great to hear real opinions and heated disscusions. We should have a topic like this everyday.

yeah yeah good thinking batman

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here