Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abortion limit time for change ?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Personally I think the current 24-week limit is a joke. The highest in Europe. Obviously there should be exceptions for situations like seagullsovergrimsby's, but it should be reduced I think.

A leekbrookgull is hardly enforcing his opinions on anyone, he hasn't even said what his opinion is, he's merely trying to start a discussion.

And this thread isn't about pro-choice or not, it's about whether the limit at which you can have that choice should be reduced.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I meant that nobody should be forced to carry a child who will die anyway but its their choice. Actually its a woman's right to choose whatever - the existing limit is about right.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
as usual,starts of well,then slides away. However please,lets have a decent chat/board on this subject. That is all i ask.

Sorry but its impossible. It is such an emotive topic which cannot be reasonably debated on a chat site.

Nearly everyone on this globe has the opportunity to have children. What works for one doesn't work for the other. There will never be agreement.

Nope. Not time for a change.

Stop trying to force your views on others who disagree. It is a womans right to choose, not your's to force her to adhere to your choice.

Stop being such a twit. It's a debate - he's put it out there, you're refuting it. No-one's trying to force anything.

Personally, I think there should be a limit. Any more than 3 abortions and the woman ought to have her fanny filled with polyfilla, the slag.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
How so? Medicine isn't really an exact science either?
It's closer to exact than any other method though. If you take the line of 'a woman's body and a woman's right to choose' what time limit does that suggest as reasonable? I think anyone would aknowledge that there is a limit.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
In principle i'm against abortions full stop but in the early stages of pregnancy or where there are medical complications in some cases its acceptable. My main complaint is when women treat it as a form of contreception, I know of a girl who is 25 and has had 3 abortions for nothing more than lifestyle choice, I think that's pretty bad.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Think of it this way: if a child is born at 23 weeks and survives, but is then immediately killed on purpose by the mother, it is murder. But if a child is aborted at the same stage it is not. That seems illogical to me.

D

Deleted User X18H

After several cases in which a premature baby has been born before the limit for abortion (24 weeks) the latest being the Burden twins at 23 weeks. Is it time for serious and sound debate on the case for reducing the limit ? :wave:

Except in extreme cases to NOT AT ALL NEVER!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It's closer to exact than any other method though. If you take the line of 'a woman's body and a woman's right to choose' what time limit does that suggest as reasonable? I think anyone would aknowledge that there is a limit.

Absolutely there needs to be a limit, no dispute from me there, and I would be in agreement with a slight reduction, but not by much.

What we need to ensure that all available tests are done within a time frame to make sure we don't make women carry non-sustainable children to term simply because any testing is performed post 12 weeks or whatever people think it should be. (I only say 12 as thats what France is).

What is important to remember though is that either way the decision can have a monumental impact on all involved. It is impossible to make a one size fits all solution, there must always be allowances for mitigating circumstances.

Agree with Croydon re using it as contraception though...most definiately out of order.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
After several cases in which a premature baby has been born before the limit for abortion (24 weeks) ...

and presumably survived? one wonders how many babies born prematurely *after* the limit dont survive, or the number of still births.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I recently read a credible refutation of that theory. I'll try and dig it out.

The general line being that other cities where they've tried zero tolerance have shown similar drops in crime to New York. Similar enough to bring into question the Freakonomics guy's conclusions.

There has been research that has questioned the accuracy of the Freakonomics conclusions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here