Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abolish The Monarchy!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
obviously since its in the Express its probably bollocks like the straight EU banana/cucumber stories. if the UN knew how our constituition works, which i expect it does, it would know that the monarch is only the sovereign by act of parliament. shame this isnt taught in school.

Seagull Stew

Why not have a republic, and allow members of the royal family to stand as candidates. Royalists would be happy as the Queen would probably be voted in anyway and republicans would be happy because there is no monarchy.

Everyone's a winner! :thumbsup:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Whatever you do, don't go for a unitary executive.

If you want any evidence of the wisdom of separating the Head of State from the Leader of Government, just look over here.

We have the two positions fused into one, and then gave it to an idiot who is taxed to the utmost just by the cutting-ribbons and opening-expressways side of the job.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I don't read the Express so I've no idea on the content. I will wager, however, that they've managed to squeeze in a nice bit about Diana. The people's Princess she was, gawd rest 'er soul.

Still, makes a change from wall-to-wall McCanns - sorry Buz!!

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Get rid of the Queen PLEASE!

62p might not sound much to one person but last year there was 60 Million people living in the UK last summer and if i have worked it out right that is 372,000,000 Pounds (no pound sign on these Chinese keyboards) and that 372Million Pound can go somewhere a lot more useful such as Schools or Hosptals.

What does this 62p per person pay for anyway? is it for their security? their hospital/doctors fees? etc etc etc, or does it just go into their backpockets?

Either way, that is still a lot of money which could go else where.

Yes, you can always say that money comes in because of tourists and stuff but when people actually asks you what the queen or the royal family really does, can anyone really give a good answer?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
So it costs us £372m to have a Royal Family, do you have any idea how much this country benefits from tourism and all the people who come here to gawp at Buck House, Windsor Castle and the pageantry like trooping the colour...I would wager on it being considerably more. Let's face it, the Royal Family (whatever your opinion of it) is a bit of a cash cow, we would be far poorer without it.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
£37 million is roughly what we are paying in benefits to people who live in poland but have a spouse working here. not moaning about that though are you?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What does this 62p per person pay for anyway? is it for their security? their hospital/doctors fees? etc etc etc, or does it just go into their backpockets?

yes, it goes to security, to the up keep of the palaces and residences, the entertainment of foreign visitors... if you replaced with a "president" do you think the security would be cheaper, the palaces left to fall into ruin, and vistors served up beans on toast? no, of course not. £37m goes on running the office of the head of state, regardless of how they came to be that.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Get rid of the Queen PLEASE!

62p might not sound much to one person but last year there was 60 Million people living in the UK last summer and if i have worked it out right that is 372,000,000 Pounds (no pound sign on these Chinese keyboards) and that 372Million Pound can go somewhere a lot more useful such as Schools or Hosptals.

Yes, you can always say that money comes in because of tourists and stuff but when people actually asks you what the queen or the royal family really does, can anyone really give a good answer?

no. just no.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
yes, it goes to security, to the up keep of the palaces and residences, the entertainment of foreign visitors... if you replaced with a "president" do you think the security would be cheaper, the palaces left to fall into ruin, and vistors served up beans on toast? no, of course not. £37m goes on running the office of the head of state, regardless of how they came to be that.

I wonder if there is any historical records of the costs of the head of state when we were a Republic under Cromwell as a opposed to the monarch he deposed..?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if there is any historical records of the costs of the head of state when we were a Republic under Cromwell as a opposed to the monarch he deposed..?

Well puritans aren't exactly known for their lavish spending habits, so I'd doubt it was too much!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Or how much did Simon de Montfort spend when he defeated the king.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
"Bomb doors open."

1.jpg

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
£37 million is roughly what we are paying in benefits to people who live in poland but have a spouse working here. not moaning about that though are you?
No, because it's not "right on" to have a pop at our european guests, but the monarchy....f*** yeah!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here