Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I’m more interested in his superb man management. Connolly is not an academy player anymore.

At a level Connolly should thrive at, we could have someone with the confidence and goals of a Toney or Armstrong on our hands this time next August.
Hugo were both not at the Toon
But had to drop down to get their careers rebooted ?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hugo were both not at the Toon
But had to drop down to get their careers rebooted ?

Yes. Young strikers at an EPL team but without the experience or understanding of the game needed. I’m not sure that many strikers (with obvious exceptions like Rooney & Owen) are near their peak prior to 24 or 25.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m more interested in his superb man management. Connolly is not an academy player anymore.

At a level Connolly should thrive at, we could have someone with the confidence and goals of a Toney or Armstrong on our hands this time next August.

TBH, I'd opt for a level below the Championship. The important thing is the psychological effect of the flood of goals, not so much the quality of the opposition.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Another week, another story about Aaron Connolly being a dick.

Considering Barber's zero tolerance policy the boy is getting a lot of lives.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
The lad is surrounded with experience (Bruno, Lallana, Welbz, Crofty) I'm sure they are trying their hardest to steer him in the right direction, but he obviously doesn't get it, think he's heading for some tough love.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For his own sake we ought to offload him somewhere he'll get some schooling in leadership and emotional maturity.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sometimes you have to reach the bottom before can you begin climbing back up.

I’m a big believer in allowing people the chance for redemption but not in taking the piss. No idea what happened but the rumours of a training ground bust up on Thursday and then not travelling with the squad when fit suggest things have reached a head. I hope AC takes the opportunity to take stock of where things appear to be headed right now, makes whatever changes he and only he can make and knuckles down. He has undoubted ability but if that isn’t matched by the right attitude then the outcome is clear.

Nobody wins if this doesn’t get resolved so I really hope this is a watershed and he is able to draw a line under the past 12 months and use it to motivate himself positively. Nobody ever improved without setbacks to overcome.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I trust the club will do everything they can to get AC focused and not to throw it all away. He’s in a place millions of other kids/young men with a love of the game would jump at in a heartbeat.

Has he got close family here? I remember Dunk saying that his Dad was a huge influence when he had Albion setbacks/indiscipline, tough love.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'm really not sure how he gets anywhere near the team or the match-day squad even if he is behaving.
Looking at the bench today, and watching them at half time, you ask who exactly would he replace? And that is with Burn, Welbz, Veltman and Lamptey out and before anymore signings. Richards maybe? But he has done exactly what has been asked of him- go away on loan, knuckle down, good pre-season etc. He deserves a chance.
I just don't see how he has any role to play in the first team this season. I still think he has some potential. But he is way off IMHO.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've defended Aaron in the past, but it seems to be something every few weeks with him. There's no smoke without fire, and whether or not this training ground incident happened, a season away to focus on football would probably be in everyone's best interests. Somewhere without night clubs and slappers, where he can focus on, you know, being a professional footballer.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm really not sure how he gets anywhere near the team or the match-day squad even if he is behaving.
Looking at the bench today, and watching them at half time, you ask who exactly would he replace? And that is with Burn, Welbz, Veltman and Lamptey out and before anymore signings. Richards maybe? But he has done exactly what has been asked of him- go away on loan, knuckle down, good pre-season etc. He deserves a chance.
I just don't see how he has any role to play in the first team this season. I still think he has some potential. But he is way off IMHO.

After Potter's comments on the likelihood of getting minutes into Andone, I would have assumed Connolly would have replaced him on the bench.

If it's true that Connolly has had a bust-up in training, it would be a shame, because at this moment in time his position is the most competitive at the club.
Potter has to make a decision on who to give minutes to between Connolly/Andone/Zeqiri.
In reality they are probably all competing with Maupay to play alongside Welbeck when he returns.

Whilst Welbeck is out, there is a real chance of making the starting 11/coming on from the bench and impressing.
Pissing off the boss, would be a really stupid idea right now.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here