Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He could help himself off the pitch but There is very little evidence that he’d ever have what’s needed to be a top player, however he behaved. His control, pace, football iq, heading, none of it is up to much.
Many young players do well at youth/reserve level, don’t develop and then end up in League Two or whatever.
Maybe he’s no different to that type, but got lucky by getting a big contract at a premier league club..

He certainly has the ability to be a professional player. But to be the best player he can be, he needs to alter his lifestyle. What level this 'best player' is, I hope, remains to be seen but the way he is currently carrying on it will be quite low.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Certainly my worst ever away day. The train trip home seemed to go on forever. When we got to Kings Cross, Tony Bloom got off our train and some of us talked to him. Only time I ever have and all of us were raging.

Bloody Mike Dean.

(However, whisper it, we were far better equipped to go up AND stay up the season after, while the smoggies can't get out of The Championship now :) )

The sun will always shine on the righteous

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Connolly has been predictably awful for Boro but from what I’ve seen Balogun from Arsenal has been just as bad. Is he getting as much stick as Connolly?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Connolly has been predictably awful for Boro but from what I’ve seen Balogun from Arsenal has been just as bad. Is he getting as much stick as Connolly?

Arsenal fans wanted Balogun to play for them when Auba left too !

Begs the question if both really are so bad - why don't Boro have a senior player in these positions who is any better, or in their own U23s?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Connolly has struck me as a bit of an arse in the past, but I am feeling sorry for him these days. The rumour was always that he should go on loan but resisted it. Then Boro came calling (with a much respected coach who even once played for our club) and despite it being a long way from home, he's gone up there and done his best. That cock on Twitter whinging that he didn't put his foot through it when he hit the post 2 games ago doesn't know what he's talking about. The fact is Connolly took that ball down nicely and expertly guided it beyond the keeper. Another day and that goes three inches to the left and he's scored a last minute winner leading to cheers coming on last night.

It turns out Middlesbrough fans are clueless bell-ends. Who knew?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
feel somewhat for lad, thrust into the limelight, lots pressure to perform, obvious talent, paid ridiculous amounts of money for his age, sexual temptation, away from his homeland, refused a loan, stayed to fight for his place which is commendable, but probably the wrong decision at the time, now on loan far from home, still not going to well for him, more pressure. His head must be spinning, personally I think he will probably look to move away as others have suggested to a lower no pressure Championship team or even 1st Division team, Luton, Wigan, Ipswich, Charlton or dare I say Portsmouth would be good fits I think.

Chin up Aaron.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is like... one country in the world where you get (non-anonymised) newspaper headlines if you have sex with someone during lockdown or if your girlfriend is screaming at you.

He's in the press because the British tabloids are vultures.
Maybe Connolly got "caught" because of the British press and would have got away with things elsewhere.

That is a good point.

But it was solely down to Aaron Connolly that he showed no contrition and offered no apology to the fans who were sticking to lockdown rules, after he had been caught.

As always it the behaviour after being caught which causes the fall from grace - whether that is cover up or failure to take responsibility.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
feel somewhat for lad, thrust into the limelight, lots pressure to perform, obvious talent, paid ridiculous amounts of money for his age, sexual temptation, away from his homeland, refused a loan, stayed to fight for his place which is commendable, but probably the wrong decision at the time, now on loan far from home, still not going to well for him, more pressure. His head must be spinning, personally I think he will probably look to move away as others have suggested to a lower no pressure Championship team or even 1st Division team, Luton, Wigan, Ipswich, Charlton or dare I say Portsmouth would be good fits I think.

Chin up Aaron.

There's a slim chance we could see Luton at the Amex next season ....although how they'll go with their ground is another kettle of fish.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I disagree with people saying this loan has been no good for anyone involved. I actually think it could prove to be the wake up call to Connolly if he wants it to be. If he wants to be a Premier League player then he has to do and be a LOT better. It might prove the kick up the arse he actually needs to get himself sorted out. It's up to him. He can't blame anyone else, he has been given every opportunity he could ask for - he needs to start taking them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maybe Connolly got "caught" because of the British press and would have got away with things elsewhere.

That is a good point.

But it was solely down to Aaron Connolly that he showed no contrition and offered no apology to the fans who were sticking to lockdown rules, after he had been caught.

As always it the behaviour after being caught which causes the fall from grace - whether that is cover up or failure to take responsibility.

Bollocks.

People pretend to give a shit because they want justificiations to be as harsh as possible towards a player they dont feel is good enough.

If Bissouma lost his drivers license because he was caught driving too fast five times and made no apology, people would "forgive" (ignore) him the next time he dismantled some opponent midfield. Or if Jack Grealish broke Covid rules or smashed his car somewhere due to careless driving, he would be "forgiven" once it was obvious he could win England a tournament.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Bollocks.

People pretend to give a shit because they want justificiations to be as harsh as possible towards a player they dont feel is good enough.

If Bissouma lost his drivers license because he was caught driving too fast five times and made no apology, people would "forgive" (ignore) him the next time he dismantled some opponent midfield. Or if Jack Grealish broke Covid rules or smashed his car somewhere due to careless driving, he would be "forgiven" once it was obvious he could win England a tournament.

He is not good enough

End of story

How come you are allowed to have an opinion on players and the rest of us are not?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

...so what did you really mean when you said you're not allowed to have opinions on players?

Is it hard for you that someone might react to your opinion with another opinion?

ATXqILU.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here