Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The gap in quality from PL to Championship is quite something.

van Hecke has been solid, no nonsense.
Khadra has done some good strong running with no end product, a few disappointing set pieces.
Connolly not really had a look in.

Pretty much as I would have expected, except I didn't think I'd be disappointed with Khadra.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
his confidence just still looks absolutely shot. needs something lucky to just go his way and maybe then he'll be able to start taking chances again

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two threads discussing the same thing tonight. My thoughts:

Wilder looks like a man found out.

Van Hecke might be a useful back up to Big Dan Burn.

Khadra is a far better player than Connolly, but the latter is certainly just as good at falling over and playing on the ragged edge of a red card as he was for us,

Were we actually this bad when in the Championship?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A decent shot deflected behind for a corner, then blazed over the bar from well inside the box.

Was kept quiet for most of the game, but flunked his lines when the moment came.

Other than his yellow from a card-happy ref, there wasn't much else.

A goal to celebrate his 22nd birthday on Friday would've helped.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not too much to work with but did alright.

Maybe should have scored on the last chance but players miss chances, thats how it is in football. His shooting were certainly no worse than the crossing from Khadra (who was good in the first half). JPvH looks interesting, think we'll see a lot more of him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps what he needs is to drop down a division where it's easier and he can pick up some goals and get some confidence.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Then Boro score straight after . Apparently been very poor again today

Well it certainly wasn't happening for him here the last season or so, and it appears that maybe it's not happening there. Maybe he needs to think about the reasons why and what he can do about them ???

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Still hope I am wrong but was always certain not championship level. If lucky maybe OK Div 1 or National League level Just has to get more out of his game then looking for through and balls over top.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps what he needs is to drop down a division where it's easier and he can pick up some goals and get some confidence.

Some of us were saying this months ago. Got broadly pooh-poohed by the experts on NSC.

Not that he's not good enough for the Championship - just if he dropped lower for 6 months he could bang in goals like he did when he was PL2 player of the year and come back up when he'd rediscovered the knack. Too late for that now - he's played for two clubs this season.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I watched this today as WFH.

Commentators were openly taking the p1ss out of Connolly and the fans were on the verge of booing him. He was getting a fair amount of abuse as he kept messing up.

Really not a great club for sensitive Connolly to be on loan to !!!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
Let’s face it the kid is now looking like he’s not even championship level. Worst thing that ever happened to him was that Spurs game and the shotgun contract that followed.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Let’s face it the kid is now looking like he’s not even championship level. Worst thing that ever happened to him was that Spurs game and the shotgun contract that followed.

If I remember rightly Alzate played well in the same game a got a new contract at the same time as Connolly? The contrast between the 2 now is there for all to see.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
his confidence just still looks absolutely shot. needs something lucky to just go his way and maybe then he'll be able to start taking chances again

He’s full of confidence off the pitch but it immediately he crosses the line it disappears.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Sky reporter at the game today said he seemed more interested in going to ground every time he got the ball, which was not endearing him to the locals...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
connolly hopefully never plays for us again terrible player.

Can we send Connolly back please, I have a horrible feeling we've assured Brighton game time for him and it'll be to the detriment of our other, better players

Is it just me that thinks Sporar was improving and then once Connolly has been introduced he has looked worse. Bad enough that Connolly looks well short of what is required but he is seemingly managing to drag Sporar down with him.

If it's a straight choice between Ikpeazu and Connolly for me it's a no brainer. Ikpeazu may not "fit" Wilder's system but whilst Ikpeazu may be a square peg in a round hole Connolly is totally out of shape both literally and physically. I don't know if it's doable but if we can I'd rather hang onto big Uche and ask Brighton to take their lad back, thanks but no thanks!

I don't think they're keen...
Personally I think they richly deserve him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here