Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] AA/RAC membership.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Help and advice required on the thorny subject of renewal. Our current membership with the AA is level 3 for three people and last year was £300 and the latest offer from The AA is £515 for the same cover. The policy expires on June 30th and looking online i can get a much better deal. So is it best to wait until say July 2nd and try to get an online membership or will the AA system recognise all our personal details and block any attempt to sign up ? Thanks.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
My advice is to ring AA now. I had the same issue in March when they initially tried to double the cost. I rang and was told that was an automated quote not taking into account any personal details especially how long I had been a member. The revised price was just £10 more than last year.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Help and advice required on the thorny subject of renewal. Our current membership with the AA is level 3 for three people and last year was £300 and the latest offer from The AA is £515 for the same cover. The policy expires on June 30th and looking online i can get a much better deal. So is it best to wait until say July 2nd and try to get an online membership or will the AA system recognise all our personal details and block any attempt to sign up ? Thanks.
Play this ridiculous game every year. Just phone up and politely suggest it's too much and you will need to cancel. Every year they add a ridiculous amount for renewal but I end up paying about £10 more. Happy with that as service has always been good

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Might be worth looking at bank accounts with "free" cover included. Depends how much cover you need but I have had no issues with the cover my joint Lloyd's account give me, plus I have worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone insurance, saves me a load each year compared to buying the three separately

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
get quotes from RAC and Green flag and probably the one recommended by Which and use that as a bargaining tool when you speak to AA.
Green Flag will invariably be cheaper but it's a gamble as the recovery is sub contracted to a local garage.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Get yourself a Nationwide flexplus account at £13 a month, perks include full AA cover including European breakdown and also a really decent worldwide travel insurance all for £156 a year! And the cover is excellent as I can confirm, my camper broke down in Austria a few weeks ago and the AA paid all the costs to recover the van to a local garage, gave us a hire car for a week, paid for our accommodation and then paid for flights home including transfers to and from airport! They are now in the process of recovering the van back to the UK so I can get it fixed (needs a new turbo) , I really can't fault their service, made a potential stressful situation more than bearable and barely affected our holiday.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My RAC renewal price is more than the car is worth.

Use an online comparison site to get a better deal.

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
NatWest have bank accounts with travel insurance, breakdown cover and mobile phone. I have used the breakdown and travel benefits on multiple occasions and they have been very good

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Might be worth looking at bank accounts with "free" cover included. Depends how much cover you need but I have had no issues with the cover my joint Lloyd's account give me, plus I have worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone insurance, saves me a load each year compared to buying the three separately
This works for us too…..had to call the AA once using the Lloyds cover and it worked fine.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was with the RAC and last month the cost was going to jump from £260 pa to £380 pa ....after a struggle I got through to the inevitable Indian call centre and cancelled....got the same level of cover from the AA for £142 pa..now getting bombarded with RAC offers of 50% off as an " Introductory " offer....Next year the crazy merry-go-round will start all over again when the AA probably double the price !

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Get yourself a Nationwide flexplus account at £13 a month, perks include full AA cover including European breakdown and also a really decent worldwide travel insurance all for £156 a year! And the cover is excellent as I can confirm, my camper broke down in Austria a few weeks ago and the AA paid all the costs to recover the van to a local garage, gave us a hire car for a week, paid for our accommodation and then paid for flights home including transfers to and from airport! They are now in the process of recovering the van back to the UK so I can get it fixed (needs a new turbo) , I really can't fault their service, made a potential stressful situation more than bearable and barely affected our holiday.
We've got AA cover through Nationwide too, worth it.

These are worth looking into.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we had the other way, with RAC and they doubled it. checked AA and was cheaper for more service, so crossed the floor. ridiculous they do this, subsidising new customers with cheap rates, while they'll continued to do so, just have to swap back and forth.
bear in mind probably have some cover with insurance too, if looking at the lower end tariffs.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
we have a Lloyds bank platinum account that has a monthly charge that equates to £340 or there about per year with that we get green Flag breakdown cover, family holiday insurance and mobile phone insurance.
its worth checking your bank to see what deals are around

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Swap between RAC & AA every couple of years, no loyalty here as they don't give any.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Never had a problem using Green Flag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here