Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A259

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I drive all over the country for work. But of all the places I go, I hardly ever go to EAST Sussex. Today I had an appointment in Hastings at 10.00.

Satnav said its an hour to Hastings, but I added half hour to allow for the Lewes roadworks, which ironically turned out to be no problem, but

WTF is going on with that A259 Bexhill to Hastings?
45 minutes to get through for no apparent reason. Was today unusual ? or is it always like that?

Do any of you poor bastards regularly have to struggle through that lot? I feel sorry for you if you do because it makes the shambles around Arundel on the A27 look like nothing at all.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its always has and always will be a nightmare.

It is one of the wonders of road management. You reach the end of the dual carriageway and queue most of the way along De La Warr Road (about a mile) then along Bexhill Road until you pass the Bull Inn, then as if by magic the road almost clears. 8.15 to 9 and 3 to 6.30 is always a major headache.

Fortunately, if you live here their are a number of short cuts for those in the know.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
WTF is going on with that A259 Bexhill to Hastings?

In a recent paper survey it was voted 8th worst stretch of road in GB.

Many years ago the Tory government wanted to build a trunk road from Folkestone through to Honiton but that was scrapped, hence all the houses on Warren Raod Worthing which had been compulsoryly purchased were resold and the new bit of the A27 at Crossbush near Arundel goes nowhere and just stops.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There was going to be road/bridge by passing Arundel completely to link up with the existing A27 west of the hospital. As I understand it they ran out of money for the whole project I didnt think that it was anything to do with The Duke of Norfolk.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
There was going to be road/bridge by passing Arundel completely to link up with the existing A27 west of the hospital. As I understand it they ran out of money for the whole project I didnt think that it was anything to do with The Duke of Norfolk.

I thought the problem was some ancient woodland on the proposed route.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It's because there are bats around that area, and it may result in vehicle/bat collisions

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Absolute nightmare today - it's a combination of roadworks at King Offa Way in Bexhill and Harley Shute Road in St Leonards being closed. I too had to be in Hastings for 10, and I was about half an hour late. Going to go through Battle instead tomorrow I think.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Going to go through Battle instead tomorrow I think.

That's the way I came back.

Thankfully I haven't got to go back tomorrow - or ever

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003

Rare newts apparently.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's fine going westwards for some reason, just an absolute bitch eastwards. Suppose it serves us right for wanting to go to Hastings.

If you want to know a bit of a short cut pm me, it won't help you if there are problems after the Ravenside Roundabout but it will miss King Offa Way and most of the De La Warr Road queue.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would say that we have just about the worst roads of any county in the country (in comparison to our population). We only have about 3 miles of motorway (up near Gatwick), and the major trunk roads (A27, A259, A23) aren't dual carriageway for any useful length.

The worthing bypass has been planned twice (the houses on Warren Road have been compulsory purchased twice, and the sold on) and scrapped twice.

It's a nightmare. If I need to go from where I live to somewhere East (say Lewes), I spend most of the journey getting through Worthing and past Lions Farm... nightmare.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Took me nearly 18 years to get out of Bexhill.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I blame Lord Bracknell. He's possibly the only person who posts on here who thinks the A27 doesn't need improving - except perhaps by adding bus lanes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here