Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A259 Bus Corridor - Ovingdean - Newhaven

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
here's a clue.....try an alternative to your car and you might solve this puzzle.

As I said, I was on a 27 and was stuck in the traffic before the roundabout.

They need to widen the road (not possible in places because of the cliffs one side and steep banks the other) and put priority lanes in place for buses (f*** the taxis, why should they get any more priority than a normal car? After all its still only normally one person travelling in them, the driver is only there because he is the driver, not because he wants to go where the passenger is going). But it wont happen because of logistical problems and of course it would cost more money than they are willing to spend

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
This is a totally ill conceived scheme and a waste of public money. If you wish to make your views known, speak to the Brighton Council Transport Planning and Policy team on 01273 292474 who are collating a dossier for ESCC.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Must agree that even as a bus passenger the lanes do look very small. The problem that has not been solved is the Rottingdean junction. There should be a subway for pedestrians and a mini roundabout instead of traffic lights.

Agreed, when the traffic lights are out of action, the junction seems a lot easier to get through.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Fecking buses - I went on one the other day. It would have been quicker to walk. Never work all the time they travel on the same roads as cars. Now a tram system ........ They won't even reinstate the Uckfield line which looks a no brainer to me.

Nah - cost too much.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
(f*** the taxis, why should they get any more priority than a normal car? After all its still only normally one person travelling in them, the driver is only there because he is the driver, not because he wants to go where the passenger is going).

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that - I'm at a loss to see how Taxis lower congestion. :shrug:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that - I'm at a loss to see how Taxis lower congestion. :shrug:
There's no logic as far as congestion is concerned, however because they are seen as 'public' (i.e. not individually owned by the passenger) they are therefore deemed to be 'good cars' as opposed to privately-owned vehicles which are of course 'bad cars'.

It does come down to cost. Cheap and nasty schemes such as we've seen throughout Brighton and Hove over the last few years don't solve the problem, but at least the council can be seen to be following government guidelines and 'doing something'.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Cheap and nasty schemes such as we've seen throughout Brighton and Hove over the last few years don't solve the problem, but at least the council can be seen to be following government guidelines and 'doing something'.

They have to get rid of the parking revenue somehow.

Its a pity that it can't be ploughed into health, education etc but is ring-fenced for transport 'improvements'.

As we've seen, its too much bother to really improve the public transport infrastructure - much simpler to blow it on some MASSIVE kerb build outs around the 5-ways and paint some bus lanes along the A259. Easy schemes like this won't mean too many evenings at your desk past 4pm will it?

As an anecdote to the A259. I've just been down there. Traffic heading East queuing past the Ovingdean roundabout and stuck in this queue - 2 buses nose to tail. 1 half full, the other empty.

Brilliant

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
This is a totally ill conceived scheme and a waste of public money. If you wish to make your views known, speak to the Brighton Council Transport Planning and Policy team on 01273 292474 who are collating a dossier for ESCC.

:bounce::bounce:

make that call folks - its not too late !

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
B&H council are meeting ESCC council on site on Friday to review - it obviously cant be scrapped, but it can still be 'fine tuned' apparently.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Also another thing I noticed when visiting was the contraflow at the Old Steine is now being totally removed appearently due to safety concerns (seems some people didnt realise that buses would be coming down there). As far as I can remember thats been there over 25 years with no problems and it did work cutting the whole of the OS out for the buses. Why not just fence it off to the bus stop and if anyone is that stupid to climb over the fence then its their own fault. I wonder how long it will be before the same sort of scheme at St Peters is deemed unsafe as well?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Also another thing I noticed when visiting was the contraflow at the Old Steine is now being totally removed appearently due to safety concerns (seems some people didnt realise that buses would be coming down there). As far as I can remember thats been there over 25 years with no problems and it did work cutting the whole of the OS out for the buses. Why not just fence it off to the bus stop and if anyone is that stupid to climb over the fence then its their own fault. I wonder how long it will be before the same sort of scheme at St Peters is deemed unsafe as well?

Think you will find that there have been a few serious accidents at the Old Steine turn into Castle Square and if I recall correctley at least one pedestrian killed..

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Think you will find that there have been a few serious accidents at the Old Steine turn into Castle Square and if I recall correctley at least one pedestrian killed..

OK, so it may not be finished yet, but that crossing from the RBS to the memorial looks like an accident waiting to happen, as buses turn out of Castle Sq and turn left.

Exactly.

The right turn from the Old Steine into Castle Square was a scheme that I was involved in introducing. The time savings for buses (and bus passengers) that it achieved over the years have been enormous.

Pedestrians have become more STUPID. It's the iPod wot's to blame.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

With respect that doesn't answer the question - indeed I'd say the needs of the many have been completely ignored but at least some people's ideological needs have been met.

Stoichkov - Don't get me started on Fiveways! I live there and it used to be quite pleaant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here