Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

a warning about file sharing- 2 found guilty

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rangdo said:
Downloading is getting tracks off other people.
Uploading is allowing other people to get them off you.

but surely that applies to everyone?

do I take it they are after the first person in the "chain" ie the person who bought or copied the CD originally

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Dies Irae said:
but surely that applies to everyone?

do I take it they are after the first person in the "chain" ie the person who bought or copied the CD originally

You can download and not share and therefore not upload.

No. I think they are after people who share lots of files (uploaders) to cut the supply. A bit like targetting the suppliers of drugs rather than the dealers or addicts.

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
there must be millions of people doing this. They will need a small army to catch everybody

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ah gotcha...

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Dies Irae said:
Surely if you move the directory to a "non shared" location then you are not participating in the shared p2p netword, therefore you can be done.

Or am I wide of the mark?

No you can't be 'done' by anybody for that. it's just ..... unsporting lol. I myself don't have any shared files because it uses up bandwidth (slows your net connection down).

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
With Limewire, you can keep the files in the shared folder, but mark them individually as not to be available for uploading.

If everyone starts downloading then moving or not sharing files, the system soon won't work and the industry enforcers can retire anyway.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
sully said:

If everyone starts downloading then moving or not sharing files, the system soon won't work and the industry enforcers can retire anyway.

I would imagine thats the idea. Remove the big sharers and get everyone else too scared to share at all. Problem solved.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
RoyalAli said:
So basically, if you keep loads of files in your shared folder, they can get you - I take it thats the only way they can find out what you've got on your computer...

No. They could get a warrant to remove it from your house and check the contents of the hard drive down at the police station.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
RoyalAli said:
Right - so I need to transfer all my Limewire downloaded files onto a Portable hard drive, and keep that away from my computer?

Or stop being such a tight bastard and buy the Cds in the first place.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
upnorthnow said:
OK, understand comments about filesharing but what is your view on people who download films from news servers and don't share.

You have to pay a fee to use the news servers and people post films which are downloadable, typically they have just been released on DVD (so have been copied and uploaded) sometimes they are still on at the cinemas.

Recognising that somebody is doing something they shouldn't be,

how likely are they to go after downloaders and would they be less concerned if you dont share?

They've never gone after news servers for movies, albums, etc as its close to impossible to find out who uploaded or downloaded them, and then, theres little solid proof. With the common filesharing networks, the ISP's had been logging the data for years, and the recording industry have had their own scanners on them. You're less likely to get caught on an obscure minor system than on, say, a Fasttrack (KaZaA) or Gnutella (Bearshare, Limewire, Shareaza, etc) network.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
RoyalAli said:
Right - so I need to transfer all my Limewire downloaded files onto a Portable hard drive, and keep that away from my computer?

No, the simplest thing to do is just keep all your music in a non-shared folder. I was just making the point that since it is illegal and there is an electronic audit trail there will always be a way they can get you if they really want to.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Wondergull said:
I use Limewire to download music. Someone told me to download Peer Guardian before hand as this will stop anyone tracing my dowloads. Is that correct?

They stop the RIAA/MPAA/BPI scan-bots, yes. They do not, however, stop your ISP ratting on your, or (as my old dialup ISP here was), being legally forced to after refusing to reveal names, etc.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Wondergull said:
And that means what in English?

That it protects you from the software that they use to gather data on you automatically but if they suspect you it won't protect you from your ISP handing over information on your downloading habits.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Rangdo said:
No. They could get a warrant to remove it from your house and check the contents of the hard drive down at the police station.

But they can only get a warrant if they have strong enough evidence can't they?

I reckon you'd have to be exceptionally unlucky to get caught. And if they catch you it's obvious they are going to make an example of you.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
magoo said:
But they can only get a warrant if they have strong enough evidence can't they?

I reckon you'd have to be exceptionally unlucky to get caught. And if they catch you it's obvious they are going to make an example of you.

The ISPs logs are enough evidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here