Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I thought this comment was very fair on that thread

When we stop pinching ourselves then

1: We were second best in the first half
2: This division is going to be very physical
3: The front six need to work on their finishing

The good news is that the match could have finished 5-3, we did create some excellent chances that we failed to take (Barnes, Noone and CMS) BUT it was against a side that only just stayed up last season and had lost half their starting XI before the first whistle.

It's still 3 points though.
A very sensible and fair post and I don't think the Donny forum was far wrong. They did have the better first half. The ref was awful,not just to us but Donny as well. Dunk did make a bad challenge,but so did Spurr and Naylor in the first half...studs up challenge is a sending off offence.We should have had more but Donny keeper was very well positioned. I hope the injuries to Donny players clear up well. From some of the post on the Donny board are saying it's a broken leg in 3 places,hardly likely as Sharpe tried to stand up...some are saying it is a broken ankle,which as we know Lua Lua had a taste of and others are saying it's the David Beckham injury.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sean O'Driscoll sent Donny players out with a clear message just go in like loonys and smash em its the only way your gonna win lads !!!!

They were better than us in the first half from the kick off, irrespective of a couple of bad tackles.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We were very poor in the first half and clearly had no intention to get the ball wide as Kazenga only had two crosses. 2nd half we picked up well and really dominated and as Donny were trying to protect a 1-0 lead they paid the price.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
They were better in the first half. Sharp should have put them in the lead when he curled it just over and wide from 9 yards - I thought he'd bury it. Both teams were sticking a few mistimed tackles in; I put that down to first game nervous energy rather than anyone being malicious. We couldn't really get hold of the ball properly and they were causing problems. Their right back is a beast and was rampaging all through the first half.

Second half, however, was all Brighton. Noone coming on at HT changed the game somewhat and suddenly we looked more like Brighton. Working the ball all over the pitch, causing problems for their defence and midfield, creating chances, it was a completely different game. The fact we had a player the quality of Buckley on the bench tipped the balance well and truly in our favour, he looked a different level when he came on. Bags of pace and can run with the ball (not to mention he knows how to hit one), he terrorised them. As soon as we got the equaliser, it felt like it was only a matter of time until we scored, especially when they took Coppinger off to stick another defender on to try and hold out for the draw. Sure enough, the goal came, we went mental and it became a fairytale story for the first competitive game at the Amex.

I can see why they feel hard done by, especially at half time but they weren't really in the game in the second half. The Sharp injury was unfortunate and I hope he recovers soon, but it was just one of those things rather than Dunk trying to stick one on him. Even after watching the highlights I'm not entirely sure what happened to Hayter, but for Donny's sake I hope they are both ok very soon and scoring goals to keep them in the division as without them they're doomed.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
The most annoying thing I saw on their site was that they were saying that the ref was a homer. Absolutely astounded that anyone could have that ref down as anything but a Donny fan.

I disagree. In my opinion he was equally terrible for both teams. At one point he started giving us random free kicks - I think he succumbed to the pressure made by the atmosphere (would be great if we could maintsin this advantage throughout the season).

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
We were very poor in the first half and clearly had no intention to get the ball wide as Kazenga only had two crosses. 2nd half we picked up well and really dominated and as Donny were trying to protect a 1-0 lead they paid the price.

The difference was Noone and Buckley

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
They were better in the first half. Sharp should have put them in the lead when he curled it just over and wide from 9 yards - I thought he'd bury it. Both teams were sticking a few mistimed tackles in; I put that down to first game nervous energy rather than anyone being malicious. We couldn't really get hold of the ball properly and they were causing problems. Their right back is a beast and was rampaging all through the first half.

Second half, however, was all Brighton. Noone coming on at HT changed the game somewhat and suddenly we looked more like Brighton. Working the ball all over the pitch, causing problems for their defence and midfield, creating chances, it was a completely different game. The fact we had a player the quality of Buckley on the bench tipped the balance well and truly in our favour, he looked a different level when he came on. Bags of pace and can run with the ball (not to mention he knows how to hit one), he terrorised them. As soon as we got the equaliser, it felt like it was only a matter of time until we scored, especially when they took Coppinger off to stick another defender on to try and hold out for the draw. Sure enough, the goal came, we went mental and it became a fairytale story for the first competitive game at the Amex.

I can see why they feel hard done by, especially at half time but they weren't really in the game in the second half. The Sharp injury was unfortunate and I hope he recovers soon, but it was just one of those things rather than Dunk trying to stick one on him. Even after watching the highlights I'm not entirely sure what happened to Hayter, but for Donny's sake I hope they are both ok very soon and scoring goals to keep them in the division as without them they're doomed.

Fair assessment I think, it really was 'a game of two halves'. Donny deserved to be leading at the break, but the introduction of Noone (and obviously Buckley later on), plus whatever was said in the dressing room at half time really changed the game in our favour. I can't actually remember Ankergren having a save of note to make in the second half.

Once we got the first goal, there was only ever going to be one winner if there was to be a winner at all.

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
Sean O'Driscoll sent Donny players out with a clear message just go in like loonys and smash em its the only way your gonna win lads !!!!
Not being funny but serves them right for the way they acted in the first half, them coming off worse was poet justice !
You don't know O'Driscoll as a manager then.

This is what the Championship is like. The most physical division in the world. Get used to it, it's why flair players get injured so often in the league.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just watched the highlights. Yesterday at the game I thought Dunks tackle was clumsy but no more than that. Having seen it on TV it looked very bad, straight through Sharp from behind. Should have been a red in my view but...no worse than the studs up tackle on Barnes in the first half which I thought deserved a red at the time and looked even worse on TV. The ref has to take some responsibility - he didnt control the game properly from the start. And as for KLLs booking - total joke!

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Not being funny but serves them right for the way they acted in the first half, them coming off worse was poet justice !

You are first class stroker lad , SO'D has NEVER sent out a team to do that and you were 2nd best in the 1st. half. How you can say that about our manager disappoints me when it was he that gave Funk the benefit of the doubt as to whether he should have had a yellow or a red.
Grow up , take the 'rose tinted' glasses off and be more even-handed and detached as I have tried to be. Quite simply you were outplayed and outfought in the 1st half as we were in the 2nd.half. The referee could have handed out at least 5 yellows and 2 reds to both sides. The slippery conditions underfoot did nothing but make proper competitive tackles look poor and clumsy one's .
Well done on your victory but both teams won't survive this season in this league long playing as poorly as they did for long periods.
As a final point the referee allowed your players far more leniency than he did ours especially in the first half.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You don't know O'Driscoll as a manager then.

This is what the Championship is like. The most physical division in the world. Get used to it, it's why flair players get injured so often in the league.

Must explain why you have no flair players. I hear your new 'star striker' got hurt.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire

The most sensible post I have read on the game, you were obviously watching the same game as me.

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
Must explain why you have no flair players. I hear your new 'star striker' got hurt.
Scannell, Zaha, Ambrose, Parr, Clyne, Moxey (latter 2 missing)....

Players like Moses and Watson got used to it and it improved their game no end. Look at Scott Sinclair from Swansea, he got kicked to shreds for 2 years starting with his loan to us. He adjusted and was a 20 goal player for them. Moses adjusted for us, went from the wing to up front and scored a goal a game until he was sold.

Luckily for us, Scannell has adjusted since a severe injury and has started to score goals as he moves from wing to striker.

Murray got injured and is in a boot but should be fit for Saturday.

Also, met some Donny fans at Purley Station late last night, said it was a nice stadium, and you looked a good team in spurts of the 2nd half but they should have been 2 or 3 up at half time.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The most sensible post I have read on the game, you were obviously watching the same game as me.
Agreed, it summed it up well,..... I would add that most of our problems seem to come from a lack of control centrally in midfield, Dicker and Sparrow seemed to be off the pace a bit on the day, and Bridcutt was fortunate to have the pace to recover his position after wandering once or twice in the first half especially. Lua Lua struggled a bit because it seemed that there wasnt a specific game plan of when and how to bring him into the game,.. it seemed a little adhoc to me.

But,... what a fookin' day.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I thought this comment was very fair on that thread

When we stop pinching ourselves then

1: We were second best in the first half
2: This division is going to be very physical
3: The front six need to work on their finishing

The good news is that the match could have finished 5-3, we did create some excellent chances that we failed to take (Barnes, Noone and CMS) BUT it was against a side that only just stayed up last season and had lost half their starting XI before the first whistle.

It's still 3 points though.

Agreed, but don't underestimate the first game nerves from our players. I'm reasonably confident that our strikers won't have a problem scoring this season. Looking forward to seeing what Hoskins can do too.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
I disagree. In my opinion he was equally terrible for both teams. At one point he started giving us random free kicks - I think he succumbed to the pressure made by the atmosphere (would be great if we could maintsin this advantage throughout the season).

The random free kicks were infuriating to say the least, however I don't think the ref. was deliberately going out of his way to award them but felt the intensity of the vocal crowd.
It's the Old Trafford scenario and good for you , your crowd really rattled him to subconsciously give you some leverage. Our players totally collapsed mentally when the injury to Sharp looked so serious and the Hayter one only compounded the problem more when we only had 10 men.
Good luck this season, incidentally BOTH teams are going to have to be far smarter than they were yesterday to survive.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Just watched the highlights. Yesterday at the game I thought Dunks tackle was clumsy but no more than that. Having seen it on TV it looked very bad, straight through Sharp from behind. Should have been a red in my view but...no worse than the studs up tackle on Barnes in the first half which I thought deserved a red at the time and looked even worse on TV. The ref has to take some responsibility - he didnt control the game properly from the start. And as for KLLs booking - total joke!

Both were reds on reflection and reviewing , Dunk's was insanely clumsy and may cost us dearly. As for the other, it was a studs up. Did either player intentionally try to hurt the other ..........NO imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here