Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A View from the Bridge

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Can someone explain the plot of this play. I'll be honsest, I've just be told my English Lit exam will be questions about this play and I have never read it. This is because I moved English classes and moved to a class who had already done their work on it. I think I might fail :cry:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Agree with BoF, that looks like a pretty good summary. It's not a particularly long play, read it.

It is a tragedy, Eddie is a tragic character who will not let go off his young niece (because he has inappropriate feelings towards her) and creates an illusory world in which he can justify his own behaviour. He is an extremely macho character, and feels his need to demonstrate his superiority over everyone else, as shown when he kisses Catherine and Rodolfo, and also when he picks up the chair by the bottom of the leg.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Surely you are going to need to know more than just the general plot of the play? I'm pretty sure they are going to want you to go a bit deeper than that.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Also what was the class you moved from studying? Can't you do that work instead rather than one you haven't learnt about?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Because I am sure the exam isn't just going to ask for a verbatim description of the plot attained from the internet?

Of course not. These days, exam questions are more like this:

"A View from a Bridge is a play. If you were going to write a play, what would it be about? Please write whatever you want. Please note: marks will not be deducted for spelling or grammar mistakes. If you can't be bothered to answer this question, please just write "I is done wiv dis exam innit LOL", and you will receive at minimum an A grade."

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Of course not. These days, exam questions are more like this:

"A View from a Bridge is a play. If you were going to write a play, what would it be about? Please write whatever you want. Please note: marks will not be deducted for spelling or grammar mistakes. If you can't be bothered to answer this question, please just write "I is done wiv dis exam innit LOL", and you will receive at minimum an A grade."

Very good. Although of course slipping education standards are the new taboo subject, so brace yourself. Little Johnny's parents, who have seen him work so hard, won't be happy about your 'big picture' observations even if the only person being mugged in the long term is Johnny himself.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Basically the lead character has a chance encounter with three witches while out riding in the woods with his homeboy, Banquo. The witches make prophecies to him, among them they that he will become Thane of Cawdor, and eventually King. When he returns to the royal residence, he is told that he had just been made Thane of Cawdor, and tells his scheming wife, Lady M, about the witches. She concludes that as King Duncan is due to make a royal visit that week, they should kill him off, thus fulfilling the prophecy.

So he does, in short, and is duly crowned King. Only he becomes racked with guilt, and fears he'll be rumbled, so he also has Banquo killed. His wife goes nuts from the stress, developing OCD after seeing a damned spot on her hands that she can't scrub off. she dies too. The ghost of Banquo appears to further wind up our hero. Eventually, to cut a long story short, the lead character gets busted, and is finished off himself by the late King's sons. If only I could remember the name of the flawed lead character...MacGyver? McGillicuddy?

I think that's the play you're talking about. Good luck with the exam :thumbsup:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
School didn't have a copy so I sent a text to my mum and it turns out my Grandad had a copy. Half way through. All I can see is that the 2nd half better be good. :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here