Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A very good result in the circumstances. All down to our pressure!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
:clap2: Damed right!

Will this affect the propesed Seagulls party? And why havn't the club said this is a win win situation?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Biscuit said:

Will this affect the propesed Seagulls party? And why havn't the club said this is a win win situation?

Because we deal on facts, not propoganda or talk.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
attila said:
Both planning inspectors said no to Falmer, showing what clueless bastards they must be, but the ODPM has said Yes to the need for a new stadium, and by implication Yes to Falmer unless the NIMBYS can prove that another site is more suitable. That is a brilliant result, and must be down to all the campaigning - well done, everybody!

Atilla, where does ODPM say he's agreed we need a new stadium?

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
In the cold light of day, it is becoming clear that this is an extremely positive result. They fact we have to wait a bit longer is neither here nor there - we must and we will succeed.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Because we deal on facts, not propoganda or talk.

So you're saying it's not a win-win situation factualy?

Why not? This is really confusing.

Basler

Feb 5, 2004
Basel
Just seen the following on team talk ...

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,863497,00.html

Brighton's plans for a 23,000 all-seater stadium at Falmer are on hold after John Prescott re-opened the inquiry into possible sites.

The newly-promoted Championship club have been seeking planning permission for the proposed complex, which would give them the chance to increase revenue by cashing in on their fan-base.

The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) confirmed that other options are now being considered, but denied that the Falmer proposal had been shelved.

"Falmer hasn't been ruled out, but we've decided to re-open the inquiry," said an ODPM spokesperson. "Before making the final decision John Prescott would like further evidence that Falmer is the best option available.

"He just wants to look at all of the options, and listen to all of the parties involved so he can cross-examine the situation."

The Seagulls currently play at the Withdean athletics stadium, which holds just 7,000 supporters, and Brighton have been without a proper home since the Goldstone Ground closed seven years ago.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Turkey said:
So you're saying it's not a win-win situation factualy?

Why not? This is really confusing.

I believe that it is win/win but the club aren't going around screaming that out. They are getting their heads down and making sure that we get our stadium at Falmer not throwing premature celebration parties.

That's what I meant.

I think.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I believe that it is win/win but the club aren't going around screaming that out. They are getting their heads down and making sure that we get our stadium at Falmer not throwing premature celebration parties.

That's what I meant.

I think.

We need to know the following:

If we prove there is no alternative site can we build at Falmer?

If it's a win-win situation we need to know. It's suggested that it is. Surely if it is a fact the club can say it? Why wouldn't they?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This whole thing smells a bit funny. The 'there is no alternative site' was thrashed out in the original inquiry.

A conspiracy theorist might suggest that the Labour Party want to spin things out til the Autumn so as to avoid a highly embarrassing and highly visible wave of civil disorder during their forthcoming Conference in the town. ???

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
This whole thing smells a bit funny. The 'there is no alternative site' was thrashed out in the original inquiry.

A conspiracy theorist might suggest that the Labour Party want to spin things out til the Autumn so as to avoid a highly embarrassing and highly visible wave of civil disorder during their forthcoming Conference in the town. ???

As I understand this Prescott has now done all he can to make the decision once and for all. I would say he is trying as hard as he can to keep Brighton red and delivering a YES as quickly as possible is his main aim (which is why he's trying to avoid a judicial review).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Tom Hark said:

We just have to make sure we turn out in our thousands if possible during the conference, and get those Falmer chants going, make sure it is ugly for them, make sure we are in the way of every camera we can find.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'd say they're certainly trying to keep Brighton red. What chance is there of a Tory saying "Yes" to our plans? I would have thought zero.

In that case our only hope is the continuation of the Labour government, and I bet the new decision isn't made until after next May.

Whatever decision the new inquiry makes about the ground is where the ground will be. Personally I don't care if it's Falmer or not, provided it has a 22,000 capacity and can be built NOW.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I think political considerations are top of Prescott's agenda. That's why we
are still in there. I can scarcely believe, after the referendum, Council vote and all our representations that both inspectors said no - that shows how contemptuous they are of the majority will - but the fact that we have got the inquiry reopened and Falmer has not been ruled out means there is recognition, at the highest governmental level, of exactly what we will do if we don't get our stadium, which means, by implication according to every bit of research done by the Club and others, if we don't get Falmer.

The next big date is the Labour Conference. And there, like a bloody big sword of Damocles hanging over their heads, will be the overt threat of the Seagulls Party
standing at the General Election. If we don't get what we need it will happen, we will make sure of that. And we will make sure they know it!

Don't be downhearted. We're Albion fans. We know what we need to do. And we'll do it!

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
attila said:
I think political considerations are top of Prescott's agenda. That's why we
are still in there. I can scarcely believe, after the referendum, Council vote and all our representations that both inspectors said no - that shows how contemptuous they are of the majority will - but the fact that we have got the inquiry reopened and Falmer has not been ruled out means there is recognition, at the highest governmental level, of exactly what we will do if we don't get our stadium, which means, by implication according to every bit of research done by the Club and others, if we don't get Falmer.

The next big date is the Labour Conference. And there, like a bloody big sword of Damocles hanging over their heads, will be the overt threat of the Seagulls Party
standing at the General Election. If we don't get what we need it will happen, we will make sure of that. And we will make sure they know it!

Don't be downhearted. We're Albion fans. We know what we need to do. And we'll do it!

Well said. When all this has settled down I think we need to re-address our strategy for the Labour Party conference. Prescott's decision is 100% political, and that means it has been made to get Brighton MPs re-elected next May/October. Let's make sure that he is in no doubt that, if Falmer doesn't get the final nod, there can be no question of any Labour MPs in Brighton & Hove in 2006.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Tom Hark said:

mmm.exactly.

The Seagulls Party is a stroke of genius. That'll get Labour listening.

Tom Hark said:

The only problem with that theory is that such civil disorder would embarrass Albion fans, not New Labour. Bastard Blair might even welcome it so he could pretend to be Thatcher smashing the rowdy enemy within while spouting some get-tough lauranorda claptrap. He's after the Middle England vote and his coppers smacking a few rowdy footy fans would not do him any harm.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here