Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread of sensible comments about tonight's game

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Pasty that's not going to work especially away from home.

KLL and Buckley rarely start together. Poyets doesn't play two wide men.

Thats the point. Everyone seems to think the players missing tonight would make a difference, but whilst I agree Crofts will start, i only see one of Buckley, KLL and CMS starting, so I don't think thats the issue. The players are not the issue. The system is. Di Cano even said after the game he knew how we played, and he didnt give one toss that we had more possession.

Maybe that's why I'm a java programmer not a football manager :lolol:

Would be fun though.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Toby looked excellent. He was sharp and had a nice touch.

Kind of sums up our current lack of goal threat nicely. Fed up of Hoskins/Adgestein types. I'd like to see someone who can hold up the ball well and win something in the air. Plan B just doesn't exist.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dicker- too slow as usual

Barnes- just can not do it without better midfield players around him, doesn't create space and is certainly no target man.

Vicente- is no forward

Noone- oh dear, enough said

Harley- has he kicked a ball before- again shocking I put more effort in turning the sky box over to watch the game than he did on the pitch. Please Gus f**k him off somewhere on the M4, perhaps just leave him at a service station.

Great cross by Bridge tonight but as always no one near it. When was the last time one of our forwards got their head on the ball in the area? (Don't reply Barnes, it hit his shoulder) Come to that how many headers did we score from last year in total. Even our CB's don't cause much threat at corners.

We so need that forward!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think there is a plan B , no point in revealing all in a poxy cup match. Its going to surprise league sides for sure.

Come to that how many headers did we score from last year in total.

There were probably a few more, but only three come to mind straight away (and one of those was in the League Cup!)

CMS V Sunderland
Vokes V Forest (a)
Calderon V M'boro (h)

Last edited:

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
Was at the match tonight And my take on the highs and lows were:

- Full backs are good - bridge will shine
- Dunky and Richard Gere were average at best
- Harley and dicker are not up to it
- Noone wad appalling in every sense
- ole ole was marked out of the game
- Barnes first touch was off and was out of sync with Vicente
- no sign of an attack
- gus didn't leave the bench - not like him? Seemed to not give a shit
- Toby looked good
- di caneo out-smarted gus
- even our fans were off colour - not much singing - what did it sound like on
Tv?

Not a good night really - worst performance I can recall under gus

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I thought we passed it well apart from when we got in crossing positions.

The game turned on poor defending on the Swindon free kick and their keeper making a great save from that beautiful Vicente turn and shot.

As said elsewhere, Harley, Dicker, Dunk and Noone didn't do themselves many favours in staying in the first 11.

Where was Sparrow?

This. This. This. And no idea.

To their credit, Swindon played some very well-measured passing football and for the best part of it, out-Brightoned Brighton in the manner they kept possession.

My concern though would be is that the Championship is littered with sides far more talented and capable of tearing us apart in the same way.

Against the sluggish and uncreative Harley and Dicker, Alan Navarro made himself look like Xavi this evening. Think what some of the classier midfielders in the Championship might do if they're up against those two.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Was at the match tonight And my take on the highs and lows were:

- Full backs are good - bridge will shine
- Dunky and Richard Gere were average at best
- Harley and dicker are not up to it
- Noone wad appalling in every sense
- ole ole was marked out of the game
- Barnes first touch was off and was out of sync with Vicente
- no sign of an attack
- gus didn't leave the bench - not like him? Seemed to not give a shit
- Toby looked good
- di caneo out-smarted gus
- even our fans were off colour - not much singing - what did it sound like on
Tv?

Not a good night really - worst performance I can recall under gus

Agree with so much of this, but for me there are still positives to take out of the night.

Bridge getting another game under his belt.
Bruno, and Bridge will absolutely fix that problem from last year.
Toby looked sharp again, can see him really firing when he gets that goal.
Vicente is not a CF, we've found that out without wasting a league game
Harley can be ditched, just not good enough, again he's had a chance without wasting a league game

Biggest concerns for me, are that this showed how desperately we need another striker, if we can get someone good they will have so much space to play in with everyone trying to mark Vicente out of the game. Noone was dreadful, Lua Lua better be fit for Hull.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Oh come on - forget all the doom and gloom !!

Swindon are like we were last year - they've come up and are still on the promotion high and will win more games than they lose in the first two/three months of the season.
Unfortunately the belief in the Albion camp has now dissipated a little but a season on and that's not really surprising.
We missed Crofts tonight and looked lightweight in that position. Also need Buckley and Kaz fit along with CMS
I thought Bridge and Bruno were immense and Vicente had a good game too.
It's ONE game in a competition where we traditionally over many years have done poorly - now we're out it eases fixture congestion and lets us concentrate on doing well in the competition that really matters.
Let's see where we are by the middle of October (when if we've been shit I expect this post to be rammed down my throat - hey ho) before we judge

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Think first half we looked ok comfortable, then i think Gus said "go out and lose the game our cup run last year f@#ked our chances of the playoffs" :shrug:

Basey

Jun 19, 2011
Bristol
watched the game in swindon tonight was obviously annoyed we lost, but mainly because of the frustration i felt knowing we could have bagged a few if we had a full strength squad. None the less, IMO, only benefits will come from this. Also.... Bristol City lost to Gillingham, Cardiff lost to Northampton, Scunthorpe beat Derby, Leyton Orient beat Charlton, Morecambe beat Blackpool and Huddersfield also lost to Preston. Most of the championship sides you would expect to breeze these games have lost. so f*** it who cares. Thought Noone needs to learn to put a fricking ball in the mixer and stop running the length of the pitch (sideways) whilst greer needs to stop thinking he is Andrea Pirlo. Apart from that, Navarro played out of his socks and the away support was good considering the situation of the game.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Don't see any mention of Calderon yet. I was surprised he came on in place of Harley - was he meant to be playing as a midfielder? That substitution seemed to coincide with Swindon gaining the upper hand. We seemed to be controlling the game before that, even though we weren't managing to threaten their goal.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
watched the game in swindon tonight was obviously annoyed we lost, but mainly because of the frustration i felt knowing we could have bagged a few if we had a full strength squad. None the less, IMO, only benefits will come from this. Also.... Bristol City lost to Gillingham, Cardiff lost to Northampton, Scunthorpe beat Derby, Leyton Orient beat Charlton, Morecambe beat Blackpool and Huddersfield also lost to Preston. Most of the championship sides you would expect to breeze these games have lost. so f*** it who cares. Thought Noone needs to learn to put a fricking ball in the mixer and stop running the length of the pitch (sideways) whilst greer needs to stop thinking he is Andrea Pirlo. Apart from that, Navarro played out of his socks and the away support was good considering the situation of the game.

ye i wonder if the internet forums of those clubs are all doom and gloom as well lol

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Vicente too isolated, Barnes out of position on the right, missed Crofts & CMS imo :shrug:
ffs hope its better on Saturday, f***ing long way home from shit Hull

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here