Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] A thread of German beers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We had a lovely afternoon at Augustiner in Munich last year. Glad to see you can easily buy it in Worthing now at £3-£3.50 a bottle as well
I'll whisper I just bough a few bottles for 1.15 euros.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
When it comes to Pilsners my favourites have to be Rothaus, Jever and Augustiner. Augustiner Helles and Edelstof are easy to come by, their pils not so. As @Yes Chef has mentioned, Fürst Wiacek are a great local craft brewer now making noises on the internatonal market, they are the kings of hazy pale ales imho; lovely guys who deserve their success.
Another vote for Augustiner Helles. Augustiner bars will often try to upsell the Edelstoff, but imo, the Helles is their best.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I Lived in a small town in Germany called Mettmann back in the 70's.
This beer was sold everywhere! and very tasty it most certainly is.
download.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'll whisper I just bough a few bottles for 1.15 euros.
Oh no doubt - but nice to have it and compared to other beers in the craft bottle shops a bit of a bargain!

Any recommendations for drinking holes in Frankfurt or Cologne ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh no doubt - but nice to have it and compared to other beers in the craft bottle shops a bit of a bargain!

Köln is a superb city. All you need to know about their beer is here---> https://auslanderblog.com/kolsch-beer-guide-cologne/

I have been to Frankfurt and went to a number of excellent trad bars but cannot remember much. We went to see the Kickers play football at around 5pm and we started drinking then.....all I can recall is throwing up peanuts three times the next morning and then somehow getting to Mainz to see Hertha play. I'll ask my friend as he might know.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Alt Sachsenhausen on the other side of the river was always a bit of a destination for a good boozy night in Frankfurt, there’s one street with loads of bars on it, it’s been a fair while since I’ve been there though. That Apfelwein cider is lovely too.

The (pun intended) king of German beers is of course the majestic König Pilsner from Beeck in Duisburg. A lot more mass market now and widely available than it used to be but still lovely stuff. Like all beers, it tastes better closest to the source.

I’m very biased: my grandfather grew up on what is now the site of the Kö-Pi brewery when they extended it in the 70s; they knocked down a few blocks of streets to do so - including my grandparents’ pub where my mum and dad had their wedding reception, no less.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

I’ve always loved the Walfisch in Cologne: one of the few older buildings that Bomber Harris missed, very friendly service, a wonderful Jaegerschnitzel and of course the famed local brew. The perfect pub really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’d also advise going to see this when in Köln

All things considered, on a few levels, it’s my favorite piece of art. Visually it’s impressive and stunning when the sun shines through it. But I also like what it stands for, why it was created like this, and the fact mathematics was used to place the squares of glass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here