Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread for BRETT

Look, I know you think I,m being "miserable"............but honestly.............I, like many others , remember that night so well, and the day at the Millenium.

I,m afraid it just pisses me off even more, that following those great days, this club would not invest in the playing side to ensure that those days had a point to them.

Instead, we laboured for one season in the Champoionship, surviving on the last day.............and then compounded that, by selling Virgo at the beginning of the next season for 1.5 million and failed to re-invest in the team.

Result;........Relegation...........3500 empty seats every game, losing huge amounts of revenue in gate receipts and merchandise and worst of all...........the continued decline in expectations for the club, from so many longstanding supporters, who are slowly but surely drifting away.

Where was the money supposed to come from?

Knotty
Quite so.

CJD
The last set of published club accounts show that we lost £2.8M in 2006/7 and state that this level of loss is unsustainable without selling players or directors pumping in yet more money. Who knows what the loss was for 2007/8 or is running at currently but had we not sold Virgo, the loss in 2005/6 would have been £2M+ as well. So, like Knotty, my question is - reinvest what exactly?

Hiney
Great stuff. Cheered this old fart up, but not quite enough to want to go to Oldham I'm afraid.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
A nice collection from Albion Albums and Mr Blobby :thumbsup:
Though I am still not going to Oldham, and still feel the passion has gone slightly, these photos always put a smile on my face :)

n641880531_4235954_7892.jpg

n641880531_4220677_8135.jpg

n641880531_4220682_9490.jpg

n641880531_4220688_867.jpg

n641880531_4220695_2679.jpg

n641880531_4220696_2837.jpg

n641880531_4220699_3539.jpg

n641880531_4220701_4056.jpg

n641880531_4220711_6583.jpg

n641880531_4235410_2581.jpg

n641880531_4235411_2968.jpg

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
[QUOTE

SUPERB thread.[/QUOTE]

Even if only for a few moments, these things make NSC worth looking at again.

Scenes like that are few and far between in Albion's history and will probably remain so. But, regardless of what happens on the pitch, I really hope that Falmer looks like that in August 2011. The significance of that day will be better than any Cardiff or Wembley day, past or future.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
[QUOTE

SUPERB thread.

Even if only for a few moments, these things make NSC worth looking at again.

Scenes like that are few and far between in Albion's history and will probably remain so. But, regardless of what happens on the pitch, I really hope that Falmer looks like that in August 2011. The significance of that day will be better than any Cardiff or Wembley day, past or future.[/QUOTE]

If we won every game and won all the trophies it would be boring. With all the dross that gets served up, every once in a while we get something that is magical and makes us proud to be a Brighton fan. Even this year with all the shit, we've still had Man City, Leicester and Millwall.

One day something spectacular will happen again, and I will more than likely be there to witness it, but at the moment, it just seems a bit pointless going, hence I am giving Oldham a miss

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
If the internet had been as widespread in early 1997 as it is now, then I'm sure the VITRIOL and BILE would be MUCH more in evidence. Bottom of the whole LEAGUE and about to become homeless - it was pretty SHIT.

In the 10 years since those dark days, we have had 3 promotions, a day out at a Play-off Final, numerous days of high drama and tension and above all else, the PRIDE in our Football Club that just doesn't go away.

The point I'm trying to make is that however crappy things may be, there is always the potential for things to get better, much, much better. In 2 and a bit years time we will move into a new stadium and who know what that will bring.

It's crap sometimes, it's brilliant sometimes but overall, I wouldn't swap being an Albion fan for anything.

[yt]R9aM0HOjCt0[/yt]

*sentimentaloldfart*

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
If the internet had been as widespread in early 1997 as it is now, then I'm sure the VITRIOL and BILE would be MUCH more in evidence. Bottom of the whole LEAGUE and about to become homeless - it was pretty SHIT.

In the 10 years since those dark days, we have had 3 promotions, a day out at a Play-off Final, numerous days of high drama and tension and above all else, the PRIDE in our Football Club that just doesn't go away.

The point I'm trying to make is that however crappy things may be, there is always the potential for things to get better, much, much better. In 2 and a bit years time we will move into a new stadium and who know what that will bring.

It's crap sometimes, it's brilliant sometimes but overall, I wouldn't swap being an Albion fan for anything.

[yt]R9aM0HOjCt0[/yt]

*sentimentaloldfart*

Seconded.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Cheers for a great thread Hiney. I was feeling in a positive mood about the Albion beforehand but now that has just sky-rocketed. I may make the journey from Newcastle to Oldham on Saturday, credit crunch? What bloody credit crunch?

My only grievance is that I am not old enough to have experienced the glory days of the 1980s, I would have loved to have gone to places like Anfield, Highbury and Wembley. Let's just hope they come round again.

I will never forgive Belotti, Archer and co for depriving us of a ground during my formative years following the Albion. But I won't let those disgraceful excuses for human beings spoil my enjoyment of following the greatest club on Earth.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Brilliant thread Hiney.....it makes you realise why we do it week after week, travel the country, sit in a crap stadium with no roof, freezing cold or soaking wet. These moments are few and far between but when they happen they are soooo worth the wait!!!!!

We are 2 1/2 seasons from our new stadium....which may well change our fortunes again for the better.....things have been better but the main thing to remeber is that they've been a lot bloody worse! You've just gotta love the rollercoaster ride that is supporting the Albion!!!! :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here