Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Test for you

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Morning gentlemen. I think I might take that English test again this morning, minus the alcohol. I cannot believe I even posted my result. I'll be in the corner with my D hat if anyone needs me...

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Question 7 asked what the next term and the nth term would be in the sequence 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32.

You answered:
A: 64
B: 2^n/2

The correct answers are
B: 2(n-1) (note, I've cut and pasted that, it showed as 2 to the power of n-1)

If it was 2(n-1) and n was 1 (the first term), then according to the answer, 2(1-1) = 1. How does that work?
I thought it was 2 to the power of n, all over 2. Works for me.

Anything to the power of zero is one. Your answer does work, unfortunately while it seems odd it is not in its simplest form (even though it looks as simple as the correct answer.

wiki is your friend for maths http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponent

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Embarrassed to admit 39% for Maths :( Long time since I've done anything like that, seeing the answers brought back reminders of how it's worked out though so would be good to try another one.

Edit: 65% for English. Bit disappointed. Hadn't covered most of it, but didn't think it was particularly hard. Haven't heard of some of the terms used in it though

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
79% in Maths but I should have got more than that because from reading the instructions I assumed pi was supposed to be left as 3.14 rather than actually worked out.
Surely the inches, pounds and pints questions are more a test of how old you are!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
And finally 62% for Science. Reasonably content with that as haven't studied some of what was covered, and the bits I had done, I hadn't looked at since School

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Math - 59%.....:nono:
English - 84%.....:)
Science - 76%....:smile:

Did better than I thought I would, did guess a few though

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
78% for science would of hoped to have done better considering I'm going to do a science degree, although to be fair half of it I'd never been taught.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
If it was 2(n-1) and n was 1 (the first term), then according to the answer, 2(1-1) = 1. How does that work?

x^0 = 1 for all (real) x.

But yes, x^(y-1) == x^(y)/x so your answer was correct. Just not as elegant is it could have been :)

Oh, 93% on the maths (a rounding error or two, but really who cares about one part in 10,000?)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
x^0 = 1 for all (real) x.

But yes, x^(y-1) == x^(y)/x so your answer was correct. Just not as elegant is it could have been :)
Thanks

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
56% for English.

The other two are beyond me.
The most relevant bit is this:
'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society ... learn the language!'

This should be a minimum requirement for immigrants arriving in this country.
???

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
70% on the English one.

And 134% on the Maths one.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
B: 2^n/2

The correct answers are
B: 2(n-1) (note, I've cut and pasted that, it showed as 2 to the power of n-1)

I did the exact same and said I was wrong too....

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Ah, didn't know that, thanks.
In GCSE, would I have been given the mark?

The question did not specify you had to use the simplest form, and even if it had it's a bit of a borderline one for GCSE so I'm saying yes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The question did not specify you had to use the simplest form, and even if it had it's a bit of a borderline one for GCSE so I'm saying yes.
Thank you sir :)

94% for maths. Wahoo!

Only one wrong was a4, Question 4 asked you to write the number 0.0606 in standard form.
Had no idea what that meant. 0.0606 seemed pretty standard to me, so put that :)

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Thank you sir :)

96% for maths. Wahoo!

Only one wrong was a4, Question 4 asked you to write the number 0.0606 in standard form.
Had no idea what that meant. 0.0606 seemed pretty standard to me, so put that :)

:lolol: Me too, well I went for 0.06

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I've only just put two and two together (I haven't attacked the maths yet). I think I might have kicked you off the bowling green, in Preston Park, the other day.

Nothing personal. I'd do things differently if I were the park manager. I think it was you as I recognised a mess of blonde hair from an REMF football tournament. May not have been you.

That was indeed myself and a few others on here, namely [MENTION=4648]SeagullTim[/MENTION], [MENTION=11908]Paxton Dazo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4033]FalmerforAll!**[/MENTION] - who exclaimed "bollocks" when I said I thought it was you. I vaguely remembered you saying you'd got a job at the park on here and also put two and two together when I noticed your hearing aid.

We didn't take it personally, you're not the first greenkeeper (?) to have kicked us off there, we've been playing there - or at least attempting to -.for a couple of years. That bowling green is quite clearly no use for bowls anymore though, so it is pretty annoying we can't play football on it. Particularly when you pair this with the fact it is comfortably the flattest surface at the park (We like to keep the ball on the floor, you see. I wonder where we've seen that before?). If it keeps the park busy without causing damage, then what's the issue with it? I assume you're just following orders, so is there an official reason? I'd like to point out we don't normally bring a goal with us like that which probably didn't look great :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That was indeed myself and a few others on here, namely [MENTION=4648]SeagullTim[/MENTION], [MENTION=11908]Paxton Dazo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4033]FalmerforAll!**[/MENTION] - who exclaimed "bollocks" when I said I thought it was you. I vaguely remembered you saying you'd got a job at the park on here and also put two and two together when I noticed your hearing aid.

We didn't take it personally, you're not the first greenkeeper (?) to have kicked us off there, we've been playing there - or at least attempting to -.for a couple of years. That bowling green is quite clearly no use for bowls anymore though, so it is pretty annoying we can't play football on it. Particularly when you pair this with the fact it is comfortably the flattest surface at the park (We like to keep the ball on the floor, you see. I wonder where we've seen that before?). If it keeps the park busy without causing damage, then what's the issue with it? I assume you're just following orders, so is there an official reason? I'd like to point out we don't normally bring a goal with us like that which probably didn't look great :lolol:

Ah ha. Yes, that goal did make me chuckle!

I do feel guilty. That particular green is being turned into a wild flower maze within the next few weeks.

The other one is used about twice in the summer. Daft I know. I reckon they could turn one in to a five a side football pitch (two are preserved with fences and rarely used), although it would have to be relaid with a better surface (apparently). I'm no expert when it comes to gardening or greenkeeping. Only a quick summer job before the school fun starts.

They do look so inviting to play football on. I might suggest that to the park manager. If he thinks he can make some money out of it, I am sure he would be keen.

I've never seen myself as a jobsworth, but I do take great delight on kicking off a particular group of young guys. Namely because they have been exceedingly rude in the past, when I have asked nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here