Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A strange disinterest.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd feel a bit sorry for anyone for whom football is an overwhelmingly major component of their life, unless they're earning a living from it, of course. I love the Albion - it's in my DNA to - and do so passionately but, heresy though it might be to some, it really is just a silly ball game in the end.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Les Biehn said:
I don't know what it is but football just isn't interesting me at the moment. Does anybody else go through phases like this? Sometimes I love it and can't get enough but other times I'm just not arsed at.

A few years ago I did every game in a season, including midweek Auto Windscreen cup games away. I've been once in the last two years now.

Falmer dragging on and Withdean being shit are the main reasons but also I've got more into local football. Turn up at ten to three, grab a pint, laugh at people you know and go home afterwards in your car which is parked close to the ground.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I am not motivated either at the moment. Was going to go to Doncaster but ended up in hospital instead and the Mrs banned me from going after my op.

I think there is too much money in football now and its killing the game.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
There was an article in Metro this morning which said it all about 'top level' football:

"Celtic Chief executive Peter Lawwell added that the club's recent signing policy has been conducted with market growth in mind.

He said: "We've got (Shunsuke) Nakamura from Japan, we have brought in two Polish players - Maciej Zurawski and Artur Boruc - and last year we brought Roy Keane to Celtic in order to squeeze growth out of the market in Ireland.""

In other words, they're more interested in signing players who will sell shirts and TV subscriptions in new 'markets' than anything else.

I find it very hard to give a toss about anything other than the Albion these days, wheras in the past I always watched football generally as well.

And as The Fiver continues to point out, the more hyped and hyped and hyped games like Sunday's "top-of-the-table showdown title decider in the greatest ever game in the greatest ever league in the world live on Sky's Super Scintillating Sexy Soccer Sunday" become, the more and more cynical people become.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I also think ticket prices. The cost of travel and the overpriced shit food you get in grounds dose'nt motivate me much either. Then again I am off to watch Lazio in march but that is a treat for the kids :D

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Been feeling this since spending well over £2000 at a World Cup where the main attraction seemed to be how much some ex sink estate slags could spend in the boutique(s) of Baden Baden.

The whole CKR saga wasn't just a localised incident at Brighton, it is typical of the new breed of arrogant young player, no longer grateful at 20 to be earning £1500 a week motivated only by the lifestyle on offer for medeocracy in the upper leagues.

Lennon, Pennant, Dyer (the list is endless) are destroying the notion that football is about skill, passion, atmosphere and the desire to want to come out on a Saturday afternoon and do your best, all these fuckwits are interested in is themselves period.

Maybe they are victims of a country which is gradually becoming a farcical nation where many disillusioned young people expect everything without putting in any effort whatsover, or maybe they are just the victims of egotistical businessmen who have so much money that they are willing to play an average international £125k a week.

There are so many other things to spend money on these days that people are not surprisingly deciding not to subsidise the lifestyles of worthless tossers who couldnt give a flying f*** about the club they pay for or the fans that in increasing numbers are walking away.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Rougvie said:
Been feeling this since spending well over £2000 at a World Cup where the main attraction seemed to be how much some ex sink estate slags could spend in the boutique(s) of Baden Baden.

The whole CKR saga wasn't just a localised incident at Brighton, it is typical of the new breed of arrogant young player, no longer grateful at 20 to be earning £1500 a week motivated only by the lifestyle on offer for medeocracy in the upper leagues.

Lennon, Pennant, Dyer (the list is endless) are destroying the notion that football is about skill, passion, atmosphere and the desire to want to come out on a Saturday afternoon and do your best, all these fuckwits are interested in is themselves period.

Maybe they are victims of a country which is gradually becoming a farcical nation where many disillusioned young people expect everything without putting in any effort whatsover, or maybe they are just the victims of egotistical businessmen who have so much money that they are willing to play an average international £125k a week.

There are so many other things to spend money on these days that people are not surprisingly deciding not to subsidise the lifestyles of worthless tossers who couldnt give a flying f*** about the club they pay for or the fans that in increasing numbers are walking away.

Now I'm REALLY depressed!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This thread is interesting reading. I'm pleased I'm not the only one who has fallen out of love with football - although I'm probably in a very tiny minority in admitting a prefererence for Rugby and the NFL.

So why do I love the Albion so much? How do I reconcile this lack of interest in football in general with the fact that I'm prepared to break the law and go to prison if I thought it would help us get Falmer? That's actually an easy question. Football may indeed be a 'silly ball game'; it's too expensive (even the Albion), it's been over-hyped, it's been ruined by prima-donna, players, spoilt by cheats and fleeced by agents - but at the bottom of the pile are us, the fans. The football club is a focal point of the community. Granted week-in week-out it doesn't have much impact on most people's lives, but when there's a Cup run or whatever then shops have window displays and old ladies talk about it in bus queues. Also in this increasingly isolated society with people living in their cozy velvet cells it's a chance for people to get together and interact in a way that otherwise we don't get a chance to do. That in turn builds community spirit and we can all come together for something like the REMF. If LDC had already killed the club Robert would be unknown and unmourned outside his immediate circle of family and friends.

That's why the club is SO important to Brighton and Hove. And that's why that even if Fallmer was going to be built out of whale carcasses, involve the destructions of several thousand acres or rainforest and result in the extinction of several small species of mammal it would be a price worth paying.

coventrygull said:
I also think ticket prices. The cost of travel and the overpriced shit food you get in grounds dose'nt motivate me much either. Then again I am off to watch Lazio in march but that is a treat for the kids :D

We really must meet up some time at a Lazio v Livorno game :lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Brovian said:
Last Sunday I spent all day waiting impatiently for the big game; no, not Man U v Chelsea but Chicago v New England.

I wish NFL was on regular TV at a decent time rather than on Five in the middle of the night. I can also watch any NFL game regardless of whose playing whereas I just can't summon up the same interest for most of the televised football we get served up....Everton V Charlton, Newcastle v Pompey, Fulham v Middlesborough - who gives a shit? Albion a different story obviously, it's in the genes as MOH says.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brovian said:
This thread is interesting reading. I'm pleased I'm not the only one who has fallen out of love with football - although I'm probably in a very tiny minority in admitting a prefererence for Rugby and the NFL.
Last Friday on Sky, the choice was Bristol v Gloucester in the rugby, Wolves v Sunderland or some NFL game.

The rugby won easily in the Simster household.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I love the Albion, am a STH etc but as for non Albion football forget it. Greedy players, lack of sportsmanship and talent is ruining the sport.

The best Sporting Event I have ever been to was this years Lords Final between Sussex and the Lankies. Wonderful support, great attitude by all players and the organisation was superb with stewards and police treating us as human beings. In my 60 odd years that was the best. Couple that with the 2005 Ashes series and cricket is the new football!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have found recently, that for the first time in twenty years I do not desperatley need to watch every single game that is on telly.

However, I am more deeply in love with the Albion than I have been at any time since the mid 80's. Millwall on Tuesday was simply amazing. I was so proud to be part of that group of 900 folk, singing and chanting unceasingly for 90 minutes, DESPITE the very average fare an offer for all but the last 5 minutes.

Also, my oldest lad is 8, and is football crazy. He just wants to talk about football, collect football stuff, play football, watch the Albion, etc, and it is lovely to have that connection with him. Its something we will be able to share for the next 50 years.

On top of the Albion stuff, there is my Sunday football. It is a hassle all week getting the team sorted out, the venue, finding a ref, etc, etc, etc, but I love it, and look forward to Sunday morning all week. I'm 35 now and past my best, but hopefully those who witnessed the fans game at Donny last week would say I still have a little to offer!

So, in summary, don't confuse the spoilt superstars with the beautiful game itself. I for one, will never fall out of love with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here