Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question to get you thinking

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
dougdeep said:
Man created god, as something to blame, or thank, for the things he couldn't explain.

Almost spot on.

God was in fact created by man as a way of keeping the working class and majority of the population in thier place and mantaining the rigid and unjust hierarchical systems and the established satus quo.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Um, or Om as the Buddhists say.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
God was invented by man?

Even now there are thousands of people in China in prison or not able to work because they have a Bible in their house or met in a church to worship God.

Such a sacrifice for an invention, wouldn't you say?

If someone put a gun to my head and asked me to deny God's existence or Jesus then I would choose to be shot.

Yorkie said:

If someone put a gun to my head and asked me to deny God's existence or Jesus then I would choose to be shot.

And what would that gain? God's favour? Yeah right. Another wasted life in the name of religon.

Albion Rob

For God or anything, including us, to exist then 'time' must have started somewhere. So, when did time begin and what was there beofre time. And if there was nothing there then how one earth did time behin?

Albion Rob said:
So, when did time begin and what was there beofre time. And if there was nothing there then how one earth did time behin?

Science can offer you answers to these questions. I suggest you do some reading.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Yorkie said:
God was invented by man?

Even now there are thousands of people in China in prison or not able to work because they have a Bible in their house or met in a church to worship God.

Such a sacrifice for an invention, wouldn't you say?

Where can I get a gun? No seriously, the argument that just cos a lot of people believe something means it's true is ludicrous.

Lot's of people have been willing to die for there religious beliefs, but which ones were right? The Cathars, Catholics, Protestants, Druze, Shi-ites, Sunni, Hindus, buddhists, animists, Jehovahs witnesses, Jews?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Fascinating that a question that has been posed through the ages can in some peoples opinion be answered in on flippant statement.

Richie, if you do not believe in God then that is entirely up to you.

I personally think it somewhat arrogant and, to an extent ignorant if you feel that you are so supremely well-versed in the history of man and his faith, that you can trot out a statement:

"God was in fact created by man as a way of keeping the working class and majority of the population in thier place and mantaining the rigid and unjust hierarchical systems and the established satus quo."

Why is this almost spot on, or should you have prefixed this statement "In my humble opinion"

Or is your opsinion not humble, is it as you seem to think "Fact"

Faith is there to be hijacked by the unscrupulous and to be ridiculed by those who genuinely do not believe, or who feel uncomfortable placing their mental piece of mind in a "being" they cannot explain.

Science is an answer for some problems for some people. Faith for many is being at peace with the inexplicable.

The debate will rage for years. I find it strange though that in such a supposedly enlightened age we can still be so dimissive of civilisations in times past. The idea that we know better is worrying.

Richie, I think sometimes that you should think before you speak. It is not a trait to be proud of, that you feel you are so well-informed as to be able to rubbish the beliefs that people for thousands of years have lived their lives by.

People have asked how can there be a God when all this violence and pain racks the world.

Wait until you have children Richie. Wait until you have to let them make mistakes on their own, until you have to watch them suffer through their own faults.

That does not make you a bad person or a bad parent. You love your child more than anything in the world, more than your own life itself, and yet you know you have to allow them to find things out for themselves. You cannot protect them from everything. That is love in its most pure form. And that is what many faiths through many generation believe.

I suspect Richie, in all honesty that your rather rash statement is in fact simply what you believe to be true. It is your belief, your faith. adn of course, you are entitled to it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Digweeds Trousers said:
Fascinating that a question that has been posed through the ages can in some peoples opinion be answered in on flippant statement.

Richie, if you do not believe in God then that is entirely up to you.

I personally think it somewhat arrogant and, to an extent ignorant if you feel that you are so supremely well-versed in the history of man and his faith, that you can trot out a statement:

"God was in fact created by man as a way of keeping the working class and majority of the population in thier place and mantaining the rigid and unjust hierarchical systems and the established satus quo."

Why is this almost spot on, or should you have prefixed this statement "In my humble opinion"

Or is your opsinion not humble, is it as you seem to think "Fact"

Faith is there to be hijacked by the unscrupulous and to be ridiculed by those who genuinely do not believe, or who feel uncomfortable placing their mental piece of mind in a "being" they cannot explain.

Science is an answer for some problems for some people. Faith for many is being at peace with the inexplicable.

The debate will rage for years. I find it strange though that in such a supposedly enlightened age we can still be so dimissive of civilisations in times past. The idea that we know better is worrying.

Richie, I think sometimes that you should think before you speak. It is not a trait to be proud of, that you feel you are so well-informed as to be able to rubbish the beliefs that people for thousands of years have lived their lives by.

People have asked how can there be a God when all this violence and pain racks the world.

Wait until you have children Richie. Wait until you have to let them make mistakes on their own, until you have to watch them suffer through their own faults.

That does not make you a bad person or a bad parent. You love your child more than anything in the world, more than your own life itself, and yet you know you have to allow them to find things out for themselves. You cannot protect them from everything. That is love in its most pure form. And that is what many faiths through many generation believe.

I suspect Richie, in all honesty that your rather rash statement is in fact simply what you believe to be true. It is your belief, your faith. adn of course, you are entitled to it.

:clap:

Some excellent points. It all comes down to faith in the end, if you have it, great, if you don't, that's fine - but I don't see why that means you have to denounce other peoples' beliefs as "bullshit".

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Digweed wrote,

"Faith for many is being at peace with the inexplicable"

I actually think the oppostie is true. Faith raps all lifes uncertainties up in a neat little parcel where all the big questions have neat little answers.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
From what Cereal is suggesting I guess he believes in a start and a finish.. for something to be created there needs to be, at some point, a finate starting point.. I myself believe that in the whole grand scale of things that time is not a constant.. some thing can not start if time is distorted. If the theories are true that time tends to slow down near the speed of light then it is also true that time can be destorted therefore proving it isn't constant.

:smokin:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Frankly I don't care who worships whom as long as they stay out of my face. I have a lot of time for people who have genuine faith just as long as they're sincere.

There's far too many hypocrits in the world and they're the ones who hold up their religion, whatever it is, to ridicule.

I have a born again Christian cousin in Canada and nobody else in her family shares her views to the point of hostility at times. However, she truly believes in her faith and she does try to observe it. I have the utmost respect for her for that alone even if I disagree with her point of view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here