Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question on prem refs

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
These guys are all equiped with microphones so they can communicate with their linemens.

How is it they dont preforate the lineman's eardrums when they blow the whistle in the mic.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Stinkers Bridge

Jul 28, 2004
Buxted Harbour
The linesmen have all been issued with 'super-ears' which don't react to the high pitched shrill of the referee's whistle. Before the start of the season, they all had to have minor operations (day patient only, local anaesthetic) to have the 'Super-ears' fitted.
I believe most of the operations were carried out at Soho Square Infirmary.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Stinkers Bridge said:
The linesmen have all been issued with 'super-ears' which don't react to the high pitched shrill of the referee's whistle. Before the start of the season, they all had to have minor operations (day patient only, local anaesthetic) to have the 'Super-ears' fitted.
I believe most of the operations were carried out at Soho Square Infirmary.
Yes, I can confirm that's the case. Also, if referees' whistles were at a pitch high enough to render them inaudible to normal human hearing, then Premiership linesmen would actually start BARKING loudly on the touchline every time they blew them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Reckon they should wire the officials up like they do in American football (and I think rugby union, judging by some of the broadcasts).

Might shut up a few of the players if they knew the entire stadium could hear them going "for f***'s sake, that's f***ing bollocks, f***ing cheat" every time the poor ref made a minor decision they disagreed with.

Plus it would be highly amusing to hear someone like Graham Poll announcing a decision to the crowd like the American umpires.

"Technical infringement, number 48, Miami. First down".

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why is it that only Premiership refs have this facility do those covering League games not have to conform to the rules and allow or disallow goals.

I belive that any technology whether it be tv, earpice mikes, line judges etc should only be used if it can be used by everybody and everyteam in the professional game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here