Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for MYOB and Rex Cathedra

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
1: Brady was in charge at the time
2: Intense media coverage even here about Archer/Bellotti
3: The Albion were the default team in Ultimate Soccer Manager for some reason.

1+2+3 on an impressionable kid = something which now costs me thousands of euro...

good for you mate. if ever i meet you i'll buy you a pint... you deserve it!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Well fair play to you. Do your friends (the Irish ones that is) think you're barking mad?

Mostly. That and going to see my home FAI National League club here when I live 200 miles from 'home' generally has me down as a football insaner in their books. Their mostly Liverpool supporting books...

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Old girlfriend went Across the Pond to Sussex Uni for post-grad work in the late 70's/early 80's on a (Rotary IIRC) scholarship, and brought back a bunch of BHA cultch, knowing I was already a soccer fan (First pro game was in '67, at Fenway Park, back in the really dark days of the US game). The car pennant is my favorite.

Bunch of other stuff, more or less incidental. I'm a longtime listener -- since '67 -- to BBC World Service shortwave, so I heard the odd MoTD, and such, so I knew about the sale of the Goldstone, the groundshare, etc. And come the internet, it became really easy to follow a foreign team. As a life-long Red Sox fan, the saga of worst-to-first and the rise through the leagues appealed to me. Although they've never faced going out of business, the Sox have been awful, Series champs, and everything in between in my lifetime. I'd no more root for ManU than for the Yankees.

I keep an eye on Liverpool, from when I was more or less living in Boston's Irish bars in the mid-80's and they were the de facto Irish national side. I suppose given my background I could have followed Celtic, or the Scousers.

It could just be the dactylic perfection of the club name -- 'Brigh•ton Hove Al•bi•on Sea•gulls' scans the same as the end of most lines of the Aeneid, or the Iliad and Odyssey -- appeals to the classicist in me.

My brother in Massachusetts is a member of the Brisbane AFL away supporters' club, and has never been west of St. Louis, so I guess we're all a bit odd. Me, the closest I've ever gotten to Brighton is the concourse at Rome Termini.

Last edited:

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Old girlfriend went Across the Pond to Sussex Uni for post-grad work in the late 70's/early 80's on a (Rotary IIRC) scholarship, and brought back a bunch of BHA cultch, knowing I was already a soccer fan (First pro game was in '67, at Fenway Park, back in the really dark days of the US game). The car pennant is my favorite.

Bunch of other stuff, more or less incidental. I'm a longtime listener -- since '67 -- to BBC World Service shortwave, so I heard the odd MoTD, and such, so I knew about the sale of the Goldstone, the groundshare, etc. And come the internet, it became really easy to follow a foreign team. As a life-long Red Sox fan, the saga of worst-to-first and the rise through the leagues appealed to me. Although they've never faced going out of business, the Sox have been awful, Series champs, and everything in between in my lifetime. I'd no more root for ManU than for the Yankees.

I keep an eye on Liverpool, from when I was more or less living in Boston's Irish bars in the mid-80's and they were the de facto Irish national side. I suppose given my background I could have followed Celtic, or the Scousers.

It could just be the dactylic perfection of the club name -- 'Brigh•ton Hove Al•bi•on Sea•gulls' scans the same as the end of most lines of the Aeneid, or the Iliad and Odyssey -- appeals to the classicist in me.

My brother in Massachusetts is a member of the Brisbane AFL away supporters' club, and has never been west of St. Louis, so I guess we're all a bit odd. Me, the closest I've ever gotten to Brighton is the concourse at Rome Termini.

Brilliant stuff. Is Moody's Diner still going in Maine? I had the pleasure of visiting your fair state in 1990.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Moody's Dinah. Still goin' strong.

I am by birth what is called up heah a Masshole.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'd heard RC's explanation before but the metrical perfection of the club's name must be one of the best reasons ever for supporting the club.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Out of all the reasons for supporting Brighton that is the best one I've heard! I must amit I was expecting something more along the lines of you came here once and liked the fish and chips or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here