Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A possible solution to the "walk out" music and slowing down GOSBTS

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apologies for starting a new thread but wondered if this idea could kill two birds with one stone.

Firstly, I'll lay my cards on the table. I'm not in favour of a pop song for the players to march out to. The Palace scum have their Glad All Over and I see that Naylor is suggesting Right Here Right Now. Trouble is both tunes are terribly out of date (as any pop tune will inevitably become) and they're both naff. Wedding music, basically.

What I think we need to do is give GOSBTS an update. Not that awful 200 bpm that Saxondale plays at the end of a game though. That's just appalling. Sacrilege, even.

Nope, what I reckon we could do is what Arsenal used to do - have a Marching Band. This means it will be loud and unique but us fans to actually sing the words to it.

The club will have 2 big screens that can show the words for the newbies and the team march out to a perfectly timed rendition of GOSBTS.

Imagine the first BHA v Palace game with 20,000 Albion fans singing "...and you may tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea".

The marching band needn't be every week but long enough for the habit of us singing our anthem is ingrained as ritual.

Tell you what - it would be fortress Falmer IMO.

Plus.....and this is my second point. Fans would start getting into the habit of knowing how fast to sing the tune. Who knows? The full rendition might even replace the dirge-like: Der Der Der Der......

What do you reckon? A go-er?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yep. It needs a new version done properly and loudly and slowly, that would be flair. But shame on you for starting a new thread just to make your own view stand out more than others on the other thread. But I agree with you :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I agree too, get the words up on the big screens (are we having screens?) , or, if we are having those moving/digital advertising hoardings arpind the pitch, the words could be displayed on there as the team walks out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Isn't LIVE music restricted at Falmer?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yep. It needs a new version done properly and loudly and slowly, that would be flair. But shame on you for starting a new thread just to make your own view stand out more than others on the other thread. But I agree with you :thumbsup:

Merge it then if it bothers you that much.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Oh I say! What an absolutely SPLENDID idea there Mr B.

TT like. X :clap:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be fair this point DESERVES its OWN thread, otherwise it would be lost amongst all the others and probably not picked up on.

Oh and I agree with Mr B. As for live music restricted - I think thats correct, however he is just referring to GOSBTS so thats what 5 min max.

Plenty of bands around, just look at Lewes bonfire nite LOADS of them all playing GOSBTS as the various societies parade thru the town.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Isn't LIVE music restricted at Falmer?
Non-BHA events are restricted to a certain number, if that's what you mean. I don't know if a brass band at a game would really count.

I like the idea of a band playing it live if it is possible. Not sure that the signing the actual words thing is ever going to take off though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Non-BHA events are restricted to a certain number, if that's what you mean. I don't know if a brass band at a game would really count.

I like the idea of a band playing it live if it is possible. Not sure that the signing the actual words thing is ever going to take off though.

Fair enough, so the next question is, are there any quality full blown brass bands in the Brighton area?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Nope, what I reckon we could do is what Arsenal used to do - have a Marching Band. This means it will be loud and unique but us fans to actually sing the words to it.

Can I just be a complete pedant ... you can't copy someone else and be unique at the same time. There, I've done it, I feel better now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm sure they will have a marching band for the first game at Falmer, as they did for the last game at the Goldstone.

I really don't see what's wrong with the existing Sussex by the Sea though.

I was at Lords a couple of years back for an England game (forget which) and a HUGE marching band came out and played GOSBTS. It was bloody great. Not sure we could afford a 200 member band every week though.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was at Lords a couple of years back for an England game (forget which) and a HUGE marching band came out and played GOSBTS. It was bloody great. Not sure we could afford a 200 member band every week though.

I heard that on the radio - it sounded superb.

Arsenal used to have a marching band - I think it is an excellent idea.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

That would most likely have been Christ's Hospital school band... they certainly do play at Lords, Twickenham, The Lord Mayors Show etc... they would be a great choice for the opening game... or perhaps a military band associated with the now defunct Sussex Regiment?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It was Christ's Hospital's own marching band - I've seen them twice at Lord's now - and they were SUPERB.

They do know how to give that tune the beans.

That would most likely have been Christ's Hospital school band... they certainly do play at Lords, Twickenham, The Lord Mayors Show etc...

I think it was a military band but I could be wrong. Anyhoo, the day they stop playing GOSBTS before Brighton games will be the day my love of the club dies a little.

EDIT: I stand corrected above. But whoever they were they were bloody fantastic.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think it was a military band but I could be wrong. Anyhoo, the day they stop playing GOSBTS before Brighton games will be the day my love of the club dies a little.

EDIT: I stand corrected above. But whoever they were they were bloody fantastic.

Could be another occasion, but defo CH do it...

lords9612.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here