Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Possible Solution To The School Run Congestion

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
chips and gravy said:
Stranger Danger is no more of a problem now than when I went to school in the 70's and 80's. The difference now is that of perception. The result? Kids are wrapped up in cotton wool and don't get the opportunity to have independence. When I was growing up we soon became aware of the situations and places to avoid

Absolutely right. The number of kids murdered by strangers has been remarkably constant from the 50s to the present date. Thankfully, it is also very low about 4 or 5 a year. I know that one is too many but it shows that the perception is much worse than the reality.

I remember when Kevin Lyon (?) was killed in the 60s, my parents didn't for one moment say that I shouldn't walk the mile over the Downs to school, although they stressed that I shouldn't talk to strangers. I don't think anyone's habits changed as a result of that murder.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
METALMICKY said:
Every morning where i live the roads are clogged with the mums taking their little poppets to school. What fecks me off in the vicinity of the school is the damn right reckless driving and irresponsible parking and quite often commited in some bloody huge 4x4 that's never going to be used off road.

I have a zero tolerance policy on these vehicles if they contain one child and its parent or less. It also applies to people carriers.

I do not under any circumstances give way.
I do not let them out in front of me.

They should be made to share these gas-guzzling, road hogging vehicles.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I f***ing hate those one-woman/one-child 4x4's! Zoom along parked up roads, full of other off-road mothers, then stop in the middle of the road, put the hazards on and get out to drop your fat kid off:censored:

Hazard lights do not magically transport you to a sensible parking space! People behind you not driving Chiity-Chitty Bang-Bang cannot fly over you! You've probably only driven 200 yards anyway! STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!

:ohmy:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The whole stranger danger thing, as other posters have noted, is no more likely to happen than it was years ago. The problem is that communication methods are more sophisticated and news spreads far more easily than it did, therefore the perception is that perverts are at every corner. Likewise, the internet has made it easier for such people to target potential victims.

The other reason is that so many pervs operate close to home, targeting children who know them personally. Years ago, there was so much stigma attached, people often (tragically) kept quiet, so you never heard about what was going on. Now, people are more alert to it, and therefore look out for it, but with the same effect that your mind tells you it's more prevalent nowadays.

Gwylan, I believe that lad's name was Keith Lyon. Way before my time, but I remember my mum telling me it happened when she was younger and living nearby.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
our next door neighbour haa a f***ing massive Merc 4x4

thankfully she rarely uses it and always walks her kids to school

that should be the law !

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Theres quite a few of these american style pick up trucks around now, which are even bigger then some 4X4 tanks.
Unfortunately the most amount these vehcles have to carry is the feckin supermarket shopping.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
By the way, I notice a few people advocating the US system of kids using yellow buses.

I bet you'd soon be complaining when you realised that under US law, no car is allowed to pass a school bus which has stopped and has its red lights flashing. Not even if you're going in the opposite direction.

:lolol:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Walking buses are an excellent idea. They tackle two of the main causes of the school run. Lack of parental time and perception of danger of abduction.

I always went to school by bus, growing up in Lincolnshire. If you lived more than a mile from the school, a free bus was put on. I don't know what it is like now, but when I left the county, they were talking of increasing the distance to three miles, because central government cuts and the deliberate destruction of the local education authorities had made it nigh-on impossible to keep it going.

And, as somebody pointed out, the policy of 'parental choice' (which is no such thing) makes it virtually impossible now.

Ah, Tory education policies - don'tcha jus' luv 'em?

Jul 5, 2003
London
It is currently a requirement for local education authorities to provide free transport to schools for all children living greater than 3 miles from school.

On top of this the government are trying to promote walking schemes for group walking - to solve the safety issue as well as promoting car sharing for children.

Schools are now being asked to produce travel plans to help solve the problems of congestion.

Your suggestion of banning cars, seems like a rather stalinist approach, and a better method is to offer decent alternatives and increase the relative cost of driving (tac & parking charges).

The reason why all these people need 4x4 is that there's not enough parking, so you need a 4x4 to park on the pavement:lolol:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If kids all had to go to the nearest school then more of them could walk and there would also be less of a achievement gap between schools because you would not get certain schools getting all the stupid kids sent there and being ignored by the parents of clever kids who instead choose to send their little darlings to a school miles away.

kiryat shmona

May 23, 2004
kiryat shmona
Voroshilov said:
Walking buses are an excellent idea. They tackle two of the main causes of the school run. Lack of parental time and perception of danger of abduction.

I agree an excellent idea. However, unbelievably, some parents used to drive their Kids to the collection/start off point in my area.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Rottingdean is a blody nightmare during the school run and all these mothers with nice spotless 4x4s. Thought they were built for off roading but they obvioulsy don't use them off road :angry:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
edna krabappel said:
By the way, I notice a few people advocating the US system of kids using yellow buses.

I bet you'd soon be complaining when you realised that under US law, no car is allowed to pass a school bus which has stopped and has its red lights flashing. Not even if you're going in the opposite direction.

:lolol:

Having seen it first hand when living in Canada-it is without doubt the better of the two systems (school bus verses three million shitty drivers dropping their lardass kids off at school/collecting them later in the day).

Every school run parent should be made to pay a congestion charge-COS THEY f***ing WELL CAUSE ALL OF THE CONGESTION.

I feel much better for that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here