Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A possible contender for tune of the year?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you like old school motown/funk then you will probably love this tune. Brand new for 2011 from Raphael Saadiq but with 2 feet planted firmly in Detroit 1968 (with rather large nods to Sly Stone) is Heart Attack. Enjoy!

[yt]dfJe_Cl6CpU[/yt]

Great tune, this is exactly what is needed to kick the pseudo-soul pretenders out - it's all X-factored out and rap is probably doing more harm than good (like punk eventually did, basically becoming parodied and fashion-conscious).

This 'Heart Attack' one reminds me of The Equals for the heavy beat/soul combination;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPTVJGm1cyU

or Julien Covey's heavy organ-grinder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ1D_BKSoH0

There's hope then, that fans of really good soul won't forever have to say "they don't make 'em like that anymore".
At least vinyl collectors can do well to track down gems like these, or 'blaxploitation' comps on CD.
Anyway here's another not-so-elusive classic that wasn't quite commercial enough for totp and the top of the charts, but a worthy one nonetheless;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmwoK6uw5Q

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Gotta love Raphael Saadiq. His last album before this one was pretty damn good too.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Gotta love Raphael Saadiq. His last album before this one was pretty damn good too.

Gotta love any black Californian whose real name is Charlie Wiggins. Something his mum isn't telling him about that holiday in Wakefiield in the 1960s, perchance?

Good tune by the way.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
If anyone can find me an instrumental version of the track Day Dreams from this new album, I'd hug them in a manly way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gotta love any black Californian whose real name is Charlie Wiggins. Something his mum isn't telling him about that holiday in Wakefiield in the 1960s, perchance?

Good tune by the way.

He's an artist, he can change his name if he likes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cracking tune.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
He's an artist, he can change his name if he likes.

Not saying he can't change it. Just saying it makes him sound like he comes from some mill town oop in 't north of England, not California...

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Sorry to hijack this thread, but rather than PM a load of you it might be easier to do it here..
Ive just got hold of a load of LPs, 7 and 12 inches from about 65-80. Loads of Tamla Motown and sixties soul (the more commercial stuff it seems), then loads of disco/funk stuff- New York Port Authority, Salsoul Orchestra, People's Choice, Metropolis, Inner Funk, Chic, Rufus, Funkadelic, James Brown, Heatwave- off the top of my head- loads of 'special disco edits' etc, a few Larry Levan mixes.
Pretty much every mainstream disco tune i've heard of (and i have decent knowledge).
Anyway, any help with it's worth would be great.
A part of me wants to keep it but i'm much more in to stuff a little later and i'd feel guilty to play it all halfheartedly.
So, does anyone have any advice about values? How to sell it, or info on these Atlantic and Salsoul 12inches?
Feel free to PM. Cheers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here