Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Palace view

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Agree about the changes of Noone and Parr changing the game. Rampage was diabolical defensively and on the ball and you got so much better once he went off.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Fair play Sir Nigel, I think you may even have been slightly over generous to us. You deserved the win last night.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Fair enough, but this sounds like an awful lot (more than normal) of fans leaving all at once. Leaving people to question whether they are fans at all.

Oh look another Albion fan on NSC telling me how to support the Club I have been Supporting through the good times & the bad for over 30 years.:facepalm:
Just because you dont agree with the way some people do things doesnt mean we are any less a FAN.

YES i left after Murrays goal, but as I had about a 2hr drive home & had a 4am start today. Why get caught in the queues when all was already lost.
FYI the first time I have ever left before applauding the team off the pitch.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I really wanted to leave. Didn't, but wanted to. I have no problem with everyone who did.

:stupid: I so agree with this post. I have never before wanted to leave a match before the end, but when the 3rd went in I just had to turn and face the crowd. I felt trapped and almost in tears (and I am 50!!!!!!!!!!), like an 8 year old who has just broken their favourite toy! Feel better today "onwards and upwards".

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very fair assessment. Felt we bossed it for 20 mins, but after that Palace adapted and we never moved on.

Felt we were outclassed, which really hurt.....

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know, I've seen, but if we'd won 3 - 1 I'd have been posting photos of my balls over their forums. This man has some serious decorum!
Annoying, isn't it? i much prefer the "ha ha u iz all gay skum an we beet u!" type of Palace fan - at least we can ignore them or tell them to f*** off. Reading a reasoned Palace view is almost as bad as watching them win!

Sir Nigel has obviously taken the 'victory' section of Winston Churchill's saying to heart: "In war, resolution. In defeat, defiance. In victory, magnanimity. And in peace, goodwill."

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Right, let's get a bit of perspective here. The people leaving at 2-1, yes that's slightly embarrassing but at 3-1? Please. The nature of the defeat, the team it was against, the fact that it was a night game and getting out was going to be long and difficult all added to the exodus. I stayed but I don't begrudge anyone who didn't after the third goal. I was glad I stayed if only to clap Murray. He showed a lot more class than either sets of fans did duringa nd after the game. But let's not hear all this sanctimonious holier-than-thou shit about how you're not a proper fan if you left at 3-1.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I desperately wanted to leave but didn't, it was pretty hard to take sitting there in a half empty stand. It reminded me of when you watch a PL team getting relegated and you get a picture of some bloke on his own looking dejected. I didn't want to be that person but I was last night. So, I can kind of understand why some people left, the result and second half performance was hard to take and just sit there.

The result, I thought, was inevitable as soon as we began the second half as we ended the first. What were they playing at? Woeful. And the substitutions were all wrong. It might be an upopular opinion but KLL is not championship standard and needs to be shipped back to Newcastle. One trick pony that loses the ball and offers little in defence.

Massively disappointed and hoping for a much improved performance versus Ipswich. We have been far too lackadaisical in periods this season.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It might be an upopular opinion but KLL is not championship standard and needs to be shipped back to Newcastle. One trick pony that loses the ball and offers little in defence.

It's not popular because it is wrong.

The Guy is 20 years old FFS. He's not getting much game time and is coming back from breaking his leg! Give him a f***ing chance!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Parr is young and quality. Vicente?

But it's always a risk when you score early on in a key game, the temptation is to sit on the lead.

Best examples of this:

Celtic v Inter Milan (European Cup Final 1967).

Holland v West Germany. (World Cup Final 1974).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Left with about a minute to go - wasn't interested in clapping the team off and wasn't interested in watching the party in the away end - if that makes me a bad Albion fan then I'm a bad Albion fan, but I'll say one thing - those idiots who are so desperate to get in the queue first for beers and pies or to take a piss and so walked out five plus minutes before half time (plus two minutes stoppage time) in our derby game deserve a lot less respect than those who left just before the end.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Annoying, isn't it? i much prefer the "ha ha u iz all gay skum an we beet u!" type of Palace fan - at least we can ignore them or tell them to f*** off. Reading a reasoned Palace view is almost as bad as watching them win!

Sir Nigel has obviously taken the 'victory' section of Winston Churchill's saying to heart: "In war, resolution. In defeat, defiance. In victory, magnanimity. And in peace, goodwill."

I feel a song coming on:

"What kind of fan am I...."

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I can understand the disappointment of fans who stayed watching the stadium empty before full time. I think on a sat afternoon against any other championship team it would not have happened. Poor transport, parents with kids, threat of it all kicking off together with our football and score gave everyone the same idea and must have looked shocking to our fans that stayed. Shocking but understandable but credit to everyone who stayed to the end

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Why do we always have to take Noone off when we bring on KLL. Surely it would be better sometimes to have NOONE running down one side & then KLL down the other.
I felt we were far too one sided with Harley always turning to play the Ball to the left side for Painter & Noone, when the majority of the first half BARNES was sitting on the right touchline in acres of space. It got to the point where the palace defenders didnt even bother watching him cause they knew it was going to be moved to left side.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It's not popular because it is wrong.

The Guy is 20 years old FFS. He's not getting much game time and is coming back from breaking his leg! Give him a f***ing chance!

True.

It's ridiculous... if someone had got on the end of the cross he put in last night, then he wouldn't be getting labelled at all.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Was Noone injured? Bringing him off was the worst decision of the night.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
First 10 Minutes you were so good I thought you were going to annihilate us.
Also the noise from the West stand was deafening, thought you wouldn't possibly hear us all night.

What happened ???
Its clear that your team lost confidence as the game went on, other than 5 mins after half time when Gus had obviously riled them back up.
By the end Brighton looked shockingly bad, an abject lesson in the effect confidence has on a team condensed into 90 minutes.
I think Noone off for you and Parr on for us made a huge difference, Noone looks quality.

You need to bounce back quick from this, you have had a glimpse tonight of how bad you could get .... doesn't bear thinking about does it.

As for the singing I didn't think we were so loud tonight but you guys seemed to tail off into the odd half hearted albion here and there and content to just boo us instead.

I have to say I have never in 30 odd years of going to matches EVER seen a ground empty like that... I'm not judging, just saying.

To the guy in the West stand who stayed to the bitter end and in the face of our exultant gloating turned and clapped us before leaving, good on you mate, i'll try to remember your example in future.

Magic night to be a Palace fan :) I would have taken the draw at 70 minutes.

Sir Nigel,
to be fair the ground emptied after 88 minutes whereas at Bristol and Cardiff this season, their fire drills started much earlier; coupled with the difficulties getting away there will always be a rush to get to the station. I chose Lewes last night which on reflection was the wrong thing to do; what with M23 and M25 difficulties I got home at 1.15am and have received the expected stick at work today. As yours is a fair post, then on reflection you deserved to come back and win. We had too few shots let alone shots on target.

To the guy in the West stand who stayed to the bitter end and in the face of our exultant gloating turned and clapped us before leaving, good on you mate, i'll try to remember your example in future.
Maybe his applause was sarcastic :lol:
But I hope not because I wouldn't want you to be disillusioned as this is the finest post I have ever seen from a rival fan on NSC. It was critical without being contemptuous, sympathetic but not sycophantic, and well written to. Keep it up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here